Payday preview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Payday preview

Post by 8088 »

Mathew S wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 23:19 art and creativity are subjectively judged by a sea of opinionated individuals, each with their own unique perspectives, prejudices and personal baggage. Nothing more, nothing less
Exactly.

No amount of compare and contrast with earlier output, judging by standards of other artists or going through a checklist of music theory signposts will convince me to dislike a song that I love.

Neither will anyone else's critical analyse or eulogising convince me to like a song that I don't.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

So we've concluded then that constructive criticism/praise and opinion is subjective regardless of Kudu's point about negative criticism

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Once again its all opinion and we haven't even heard the new album yet, look Dark Matters may not be in the league of Black and White? We don't know? But it should be judged on its own merits as the band are now, you could turn it around and judge every Hugh release from what he produced in the Stranglers? Just judge it on the quality of the material that you hear, if you like it enjoy and If not keep listening to all the albums from 77-90.As I said its all opinion, but from the few songs and snippets I have heard, I think it will be a worthy addition to the history of the Stranglers. Lt Kudu. :smt006
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Worthy of the Stranglers back catalogue? We'll see - it certainly book ends Dave's time in the band

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 09:58 Worthy of the Stranglers back catalogue? We'll see - it certainly book ends Dave's time in the band

Jim
Yes it's really wait and see, so when we finally hear the album we can judge, but I'm optimistic, but realistic to.Lt Kudu. :smt009
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 09:31 Dark Matters may not be in the league of Black and White? We don't know?
Although I haven't even heard the final product in full, based merely on what I've already heard and know about the album I'd say that realistically it's very much a given.

In any case, I won't be judging a new Stranglers record against their 1977-1990 output because that would be grossly unfair. Rather, I'll be firstly judging it in terms of how it holds up in the current musical climate and then secondly in terms of how it sits with the post-Hugh material. I'm expecting it to fall short with the former (it's been a very good year for new music), and as for the latter I'm expecting it to not be as good as Norfolk Coast or Suite XVI but slightly better than Giants, or roughly About Time level. Realistic expectations.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 11:23
Greatkudu wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 09:31 Dark Matters may not be in the league of Black and White? We don't know?
Although I haven't even heard the final product in full, based merely on what I've already heard and know about the album I'd say that realistically it's very much a given.

In any case, I won't be judging a new Stranglers record against their 1977-1990 output because that would be grossly unfair. Rather, I'll be firstly judging it in terms of how it holds up in the current musical climate and then secondly in terms of how it sits with the post-Hugh material. I'm expecting it to fall short with the former (it's been a very good year for new music), and as for the latter I'm expecting it to not be as good as Norfolk Coast or Suite XVI but slightly better than Giants, or roughly About Time level. Realistic expectations.
Why do you have to judge the new album how it holds up in the current musical climate, the Stranglers and many other bands have carved out their own market in the present day musical climate? I do keep up with what's going on but I can just enjoy new Stranglers material and Hugh as well as I'm a fan of the music, but if I thought the music either were producing was sub standard, I wouldn't bother, there are so many older bands like the Stranglers that exist out of the mainstream and produce music because enough people want to hear it, I see no issue with that, music is a diversion from real life and takes you to another zone for as long as you want it to, then you go back to all the mundane tasks that we all have to do in life, unless your a Royal or a multi millionaire, both of which I'm not.Lt Kudu. :smt001
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 16:41 Why do you have to judge the new album how it holds up in the current musical climate, the Stranglers and many other bands have carved out their own market in the present day musical climate?
It's very simple. We now live in an era where there's more recorded music available at our fingertips than ever before, and thus not only are a larger amount of releases competing for my (and others) attention but there's so much music that I couldn't possibly hear it all. Am I gonna spend what little, valuable time I have to enjoy music on a sub-par record by a band that I typically like just because their previous work was excellent, or am I gonna listen to something exciting, vibrant and now? The answer - if there was any doubt - is the latter.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

It's all personal taste, though. I'm sure there are some who are going to claim it's the third best strangers album regardless and others who have already decided that it's rubbish.

As long as no one is forcing themselves to listen to it and making themselves miserable, I don't see the problem.

The true test is whether anyone is listening to it or the band are playing it live, in a couple of years.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 18:29 The true test is whether anyone is listening to it or the band are playing it live, in a couple of years.
Indeed. The best that anyone can hope for is something at the level of Norfolk Coast or Suite XVI (which I don't think it will be) and the worst that could happen is it could be a "one listen on release day and file it away and forget about it" release a la Coup de Grace or Giants.

Post by 8088 »

If the album had followed the direction of If Somethings....I think this would have been their best post Hugh LP but kinda now sounds like that's the odd one out.
Still looking forward to it - will always skip And If You Should See Dave though, I think it's dreadful.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 21:47 If the album had followed the direction of If Somethings....I think this would have been their best post Hugh LP but kinda now sounds like that's the odd one out.
Still looking forward to it - will always skip And If You Should See Dave though, I think it's dreadful.
See we all hear things differently, I love "if you should see Dave" I think it's a very moving song and high quality, but as I said whatever the band do, some will judge on past glories, I will judge in the here and now. Lt Kudu, and of course their is a multitude of music now, but as I said the Stranglers have their own niche like the Damned and many others.