Payday preview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Payday preview

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 23:14 See we all hear things differently, I love "if you should see Dave" I think it's a very moving song and high quality, but as I said whatever the band do, some will judge on past glories, I will judge in the here and now. Lt Kudu, and of course their is a multitude of music now, but as I said the Stranglers have their own niche like the Damned and many others.
I'm still not getting this judging thing - I hear something and I either like it or I don't - The Stranglers are etched into my DNA but that doesn't mean they get carte blanche exemption from criticism and my liking of their material is not weighed up against whatever other stuff I've been listening to recently either.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Pointing out that a lot of artists/bands have staunch hardcore fans that will follow them in spite of the quality of their most recent work is hardly a clever observation, particularly when it comes to The Stranglers. What do you think has been happening for the last 31 years?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 23:28 I hear something and I either like it or I don't
Well, this is actually a form of judgement. You're judging whether you like something or you don't like something.

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 23:35
8088 wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 23:28 I hear something and I either like it or I don't
Well, this is actually a form of judgement. You're judging whether you like something or you don't like something.
But I'm not qualifying it against a table of data like previous Stranglers recordings or whoever have been the bands to watch in 2021 etc.

I might later think, "I like it but do I like it more than No More Heroes?" At that point it goes into some kind of league table but that in itself is futile - I don't have a favourite Stranglers song because there are so many that are important to me and it's impossible to choose.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 23:48 But I'm not qualifying it against a table of data like previous Stranglers recordings
8008 wrote: I might later think, "I like it but do I like it more than No More Heroes?" At that point it goes into some kind of league table
Notice how you've immediately contradicted yourself here. Of course it makes sense to listen to something first before having an idea of where it sits in terms of an artists discography, it would be incredibly dumb to do so otherwise - and I'll certainly be giving the new Stranglers album a few listens before I ultimately decide once and for all how I feel about it even if a lot of the signs so far aren't particularly encouraging to me. I prefer to keep my expectations realistic. If several albums released this year find themselves in regular rotation and The Stranglers album gets a few plays and a shrug before never being played again, then so be it.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Just accepting songs sheep-like purely cos it's The Stranglers is pretty tragic really. The time, money and effort you've given to this band you have every right to criticise and praise.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 02:18 Notice how you've immediately contradicted yourself here.
Not at all - that's why I said "I might later" - that's separate from actually acknowledging I like it and "might" means I may not even get round to thinking about it's ranking with other albums.

Consider hearing something unknown out of the blue on radio - all you know is you like it - no other parameters are involved, you either do or you don't.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 08:27 Just accepting songs sheep-like purely cos it's The Stranglers is pretty tragic really. The time, money and effort you've given to this band you have every right to criticise and praise.

Jim
Exactly, and obviously long-time fans will naturally be curious as to where this new material sits in comparison with their older material as evidenced by the wealth of "rank the Stranglers albums" type of threads on here. I even recall one being started not long after Giants was released, so this is just something that fans do. Not just Stranglers fans either.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Of course no fan should show blind allegiance, and constructive criticism is healthy as long as it doesn't become personal or abusive, JJ has made it clear that he dislikes a few Stranglers albums, and its natural fans will compare, most bands do their best work early in their career, but if the new album is high quality material and production it will be a fitting tribute to Dave, that is something we can all agree on despite our differing opinions, as we are all fans of the music. Lt Kudu. :smt006
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I think it's OK to have expectations as to where this will sit amongst the catalogue.

For me I'm expecting this album will sit on a par with the NC / Suite era for quality.

It will be better than Giants, but nowhere near the majority of any mk1 albums, with the possible exception of 10. It'll also be better than all mk2 albums.
I Hate You !
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

8088 wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 02:18 Notice how you've immediately contradicted yourself here.
Not at all - that's why I said "I might later" - that's separate from actually acknowledging I like it and "might" means I may not even get round to thinking about it's ranking with other albums.

Consider hearing something unknown out of the blue on radio - all you know is you like it - no other parameters are involved, you either do or you don't.
Spot on.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Well, quite. People judging music by whether or not they like it is hardly a mindblowing observation - it's what everyone does.