Singles

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Singles

Post by jeanjacketburnel »

not wanting to sound like an old cnut but what qualifies as a single nowadays? Any track you download?
STEVE
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Singles

Post by parasiteinblack »

Doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule any more but usually they're either:

1. Given a separate release and artwork on the streaming and download services.
2. "early access" tracks on forthcoming albums (ie pre-order the album and get this track now)
3. A "focus track" with a video/radio play etc.
4. If you're really lucky - some kind of physical release like the old days.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Can't any track get to number one these days? For example if Relentless was used in a James Bond film and everyone played it on You Tube or Spotify could it get to number one wthout it having a separate release?
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

jason wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 19:40 Can't any track get to number one these days? For example if Relentless was used in a James Bond film and everyone played it on You Tube or Spotify could it get to number one wthout it having a separate release?
yes.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Are you saying if we all played Relentless , or any Stranglers song for that matter , on Spotify then we could possibly get it to No1 . Would multiple plays count or just one count or person ?
Used to be easy in the old days , you bought a bit of black plastic and that counted .
All quiet ..........
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Jon the Impaler wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 20:41 Are you saying if we all played Relentless , or any Stranglers song for that matter , on Spotify then we could possibly get it to No1 . Would multiple plays count or just one count or person ?
Used to be easy in the old days , you bought a bit of black plastic and that counted .
Yes, that's my understanding of it, but it would take many thousands of streams to get to number 1, and most likely several million.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I'm guessing it doesn't cost much to release singles these days if they are just being downloaded? Apart from the videos though, because they must have cost a few quid. I wonder if there will be any further singles now? If so maybe This Song would might be the right choice?
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

Given that the album will likely reach its peak position on its first week before it freefalls into obscurity (a trend with older acts), I doubt there'll be another single. Wouldn't mind seeing it though.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Cricklewood wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 21:45 Given that the album will likely reach its peak position on its first week before it freefalls into obscurity (a trend with older acts), I doubt there'll be another single. Wouldn't mind seeing it though.
yes your probably right at a guess,but if they were to release another single from this album then it would have to be White Stallion for me and what with tramp and relentless having never been singles in my opinion were the two biggest mistakes and regrets that just slipped by from this band that could of given them some success.But it's all a bit long in the tooth now with this band and singles to be honest just stay as an album band now is what i'd like to see them do,i don't really know why they still are releasing singles to be honest it's not like it's the '70s and '80s anymore,for me it means nothing anymore.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

toilerinblack wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 22:19
Cricklewood wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 21:45 Given that the album will likely reach its peak position on its first week before it freefalls into obscurity (a trend with older acts), I doubt there'll be another single. Wouldn't mind seeing it though.
yes your probably right at a guess,but if they were to release another single from this album then it would have to be White Stallion for me and what with tramp and relentless having never been singles in my opinion were the two biggest mistakes and regrets that just slipped by from this band that could of given them some success.But it's all a bit long in the tooth now with this band and singles to be honest just stay as an album band now is what i'd like to see them do,i don't really know why they still are releasing singles to be honest it's not like it's the '70s and '80s anymore,for me it means nothing anymore.
I guess the singles promote the album though on social media.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Aren't singles for a lot of acts just downloadable tracks with a video that can be shared on social media?

I think there will be another couple of singles from the album. Why wouldn't there be?
Let's Boogie
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

markorbit wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 23:19 Aren't singles for a lot of acts just downloadable tracks with a video that can be shared on social media?

I think there will be another couple of singles from the album. Why wouldn't there be?
Yes why not. They only released Mercury Rising from Giants though didn't they.