dark matters chart chances

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: dark matters chart chances

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 22:59 It makes me wonder how accurate it can really be, when a 50 year old Pink Floyd studio album and 40 year old Queen compilation are apparently riding so high after all these years, can they really be selling in such significant numbers?
Which Floyd and Queen albums were they? The Dark Side of the Moon and Greatest Hits? Even before streaming was taken into consideration, those two records were huge juggernauts - just immensely huge sales numbers for both and over a considerably long period of time. I think those two albums easily rank as two of the absolute best selling UK albums of all time, they still remain incredibly popular.
toilerinblack wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 23:09 I love your description of the Stranglers stuck out like a beam of light in a dungeon of darkness VERY GOOD!
It sounded like a Spandau Ballet lyric to me.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 23:11
Which Floyd and Queen albums were they? The Dark Side of the Moon and Greatest Hits? Even before streaming was taken into consideration, those two records were huge juggernauts - just immensely huge sales numbers for both and over a considerably long period of time. I think those two albums easily rank as two of the absolute best selling UK albums of all time, they still remain incredibly popular.

Absolutely those two albums, wasn’t Darkside of the Moon in the top 100 permanently for a good ten years or so? I’m not a huge fan of the Floyd, I can appreciate bits and pieces, some very much so, but I really don’t care much for Dark Side of the Moon. I think Abbey Road is another one of those albums that lingered in the charts for a very long time too. I seem to recall reading that Rattus Norvegicus spent a fairly significant amount of time in the charts, obviously not selling anywhere near the amount of units that Darkside of the Moon or Abbey Road did, but was quite possibly the best selling album associated with the 1977 punk/new wave era next to Never Mind The Bollocks.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 23:09
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 20:03
jeromeinparis wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 17:46 Not in the chart this week
When I look at the abmonitation of music in the Charts I despair, Shit like Ann Marie, Billy Eillish I could go on, at least DM was in their for a bit, happy for band, but we know it's a fucking great album and that's all that matters, the Stranglers stuck out like a beam of light in a dungeon of Darkness. Lt Kudu.
Again well said...look i've said all along who gives a F**k about the charts? i don't what the hell does it mean anyway? we all love the album and that's the main thing.We all knew it was going to be a good one and it was,what's the point of having a No.1 if the albums crap,i've got tracks on DM that i will play again and again because i like them and their good,i'd prefer that anyday this way around even if it never entered the charts at all in the first place.I love your description of the Stranglers stuck out like a beam of light in a dungeon of darkness VERY GOOD!
Thank you Sir I think your poetry is inspiring me, I may try and write one about Jim Mac but your the official Forum Poer Laureate. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 23:25 Absolutely those two albums, wasn’t Darkside of the Moon in the top 100 permanently for a good ten years or so?
Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that it had a ridiculously long chart run along those lines. I've just looked it up - Queen's Greatest Hits is literally the biggest selling album in the UK of all time - it's gone 22x platinum and it's still selling. The Dark Side of the Moon is the seventh biggest selling album in the UK, which was surprising to me because I thought it would have done far more, but it's gone 14x platinum. Worldwide, however, it's a little bit different - The Dark Side of the Moon is one of the biggest selling albums EVER worldwide at an estimated 44 million units shifted, where Queen's Greatest Hits has managed an estimated 25 million units worldwide. It's telling that for all that gets written about The Beatles, they neither have the biggest selling album in the UK nor worldwide.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 22:17
jeromeinparis wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 17:46 Not in the chart this week
No surprises there, then. It's ultimately clear what's happened - everyone who was ever going to buy it pre-ordered it and once all of those pre-orders were taken into account for the first week, sales slowed to a crawl. The fact that it was all physical copies and couldn't crack the streaming chart suggested the band were essentially preaching to the converted as per usual.
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 20:03 When I look at the abmonitation of music in the Charts I despair, Shit like Ann Marie, Billy Eillish I could go on, at least DM was in their for a bit, happy for band, but we know it's a fucking great album and that's all that matters, the Stranglers stuck out like a beam of light in a dungeon of Darkness. Lt Kudu.
I knew it'd only be a matter of time before someone turned up with some good old "old man yelling at clouds" schtick, and there it is!
Well I'm 54 not that old, my passion for the band gets the better of me sometimes, when I see what I consider inferior artists selling more albums or downloads etc than our boys in Black.I do look at the clouds daily but don't shout at them. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 23:38
Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that it had a ridiculously long chart run along those lines. I've just looked it up - Queen's Greatest Hits is literally the biggest selling album in the UK of all time - it's gone 22x platinum and it's still selling. The Dark Side of the Moon is the seventh biggest selling album in the UK, which was surprising to me because I thought it would have done far more, but it's gone 14x platinum. Worldwide, however, it's a little bit different - The Dark Side of the Moon is one of the biggest selling albums EVER worldwide at an estimated 44 million unit shifted, where Queen's Greatest Hits has managed an estimated 25 million units worldwide. It's telling that for all that gets written about The Beatles, they neither have the biggest selling album in the UK nor worldwide.
That is very odd indeed in regard to The Beatles, surely they must be somewhere in the top 10 or 20 biggest sellers UK at least? What are the websites to look at for this kind of information regarding album sales? Fascinating stuff really.
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

Dark Matters will probably be The Stranglers worst selling album.

Simple reason hardly anyone 'buys' albums anymore, so the 15,000 or so it sold pre-release gets it to 4. I don't know what the cut off for making the top 100 each week is in terms of actual sales maybe a few hundred??

So even these albums that are classics and in the charts for years are not shifting huge volumes, the young ones don't want a physical copy like we did. If you sing up to applemusic you get everything.

The ££££ is in touring. Years ago touring lost money.

Times change.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

adeinblack wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 08:32 Dark Matters will probably be The Stranglers worst selling album.

Simple reason hardly anyone 'buys' albums anymore, so the 15,000 or so it sold pre-release gets it to 4. I don't know what the cut off for making the top 100 each week is in terms of actual sales maybe a few hundred??

So even these albums that are classics and in the charts for years are not shifting huge volumes, the young ones don't want a physical copy like we did. If you sing up to applemusic you get everything.

Times change.
I'd be surprised if Coup de Grace has made it to 15,000 yet so surely that must be the lowest selling Stranglers album? It's also the only one that never made the top 100.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

adeinblack wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 08:32 Dark Matters will probably be The Stranglers worst selling album.

Times change.
It's really symbolic, of course you can't compare sales to years gone by, remember GB sold over a million but stayed at number 2,so with the lack of Physical sales now it's still good for the band to have got to number 4,sadly times have changed, young people just download stuff and rarely listen to a whole album, before I get accused again as an old man shouting at the clouds :smt005 I'm sure there are young people who do appreciate classic music as opposed to amazing stuff like Anne Marie, Little Mix, Ed Shitpants etc. Lt Kudu not shouting at the clouds but looking at Goldfinches in one of our Gardens birdbaths. :smt005
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Greatkudu wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 09:48

Times change.
It's really symbolic, of course you can't compare sales to years gone by, remember GB sold over a million but stayed at number 2,so with the lack of Physical sales now it's still good for the band to have got to number 4,sadly times have changed, young people just download stuff and rarely listen to a whole album, before I get accused again as an old man shouting at the clouds :smt005 I'm sure there are young people who do appreciate classic music as opposed to amazing stuff like Anne Marie, Little Mix, Ed Shitpants etc. Lt Kudu not shouting at the clouds but looking at Goldfinches in one of our Gardens birdbaths. :smt005
The ‘young’ and general public have generally listened to shit music. Even when bands such as the Stranglers were at their peak of popularity, look at the charts or old TOTPs and most of what is popular was crap.
Just occasionally bands manage to stride the divide between good and popular, and a descent bit of music becomes a hit
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Good to see Manics holding on to the Top 20

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Bear Cage wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 11:18
Greatkudu wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 09:48

Times change.
The ‘young’ and general public have generally listened to shit music. Even when bands such as the Stranglers were at their peak of popularity, look at the charts or old TOTPs and most of what is popular was crap.
Just occasionally bands manage to stride the divide between good and popular, and a descent bit of music becomes a hit
Sir very perceptive, the Stranglers did just that with their poppier side, had hits but still quality, the general have always mostly bought shit, there's always been a divide between the shit and the music that makes you think. Lt Kudu.