dark matters chart chances

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: dark matters chart chances

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:52
8088 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:41 And The Stranglers are competing with unheard of nobodies with no audience by virtue of the internet and how music is now consumed - the majority of my listening time consists of listening to unknowns rather than established brand names.
That may well be the case, but the fact that you're already a Stranglers fan renders that line of thinking moot. That's like saying The Rolling Stones are competing with some garage band on Bandcamp - they're not. The internet has not levelled the playing field to that degree.
But they are competing - for my attention, time, streaming clicks and money and all four of those factors are just as (or more) likely to go to a postman who makes Vaporwave on Bandcamp than The Stranglers.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:58 But they are competing - for my attention, time, streaming clicks and money and all four of those factors are just as (or more) likely to go to a postman who makes Vaporwave on Bandcamp than The Stranglers.
Indeed, but your attention, time etc. etc. is but a drop in the ocean for an act/artist/band with a certain level of brand recognition, for whom a certain level of attention, time etc. etc. in a general sense is a certainty.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 19:02
8088 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:58 But they are competing - for my attention, time, streaming clicks and money and all four of those factors are just as (or more) likely to go to a postman who makes Vaporwave on Bandcamp than The Stranglers.
Indeed, but your attention, time etc. etc. is but a drop in the ocean for an act/artist/band with a certain level of brand recognition, for whom a certain level of attention, time etc. etc. in a general sense is a certainty.
Agreed. To them, they're not competing with spare room composers but to me as a consumer of music they are.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 19:09 Agreed. To them, they're not competing with spare room composers
Precisely, and this is exactly what I was getting at. The UK chart is a generalisation, so it makes sense to consider things in a general sense.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

aldinblack wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 20:43
StanInBlack wrote:It would have been perhaps more impressive if they'd been able to achieve this at a time when the charts weren't truly fucked and they actually mattered, either pre-Spotify or even pre-Napster when people were actually going out and buying music. In an era when new entries generally chart high and then topple down the chart rapidly the following week, and in a week of new releases where the bands only real competition was the Manic Street Preachers, they still managed to get beaten by Steps. Also, the fact that they haven't released an album in a decade and the press surrounding Dave's death possibly helped the record more than the quality of the music itself.

I mean, good on them, they've managed a Top 5 album - but let's not pretend it's charted high on the strength of the music on the album when rather it's just been down to circumstances and the state of the music industry in general. It would have meant far more if Norfolk Coast had achieved this, or even Suite XVI.
jeez, you really are Relentless...
….. Stan Stan A Go Go….
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

When I Google official album chart it says Dark Matters is number 3!
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

jason wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 20:24 When I Google official album chart it says Dark Matters is number 3!
Depends on which album chart. There are quite a few, the overall chart shows it at 4, but some others show it at 3, I think there's one with it at 2.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Agreed - You'd like to think 6Music playlist peeps would be looking at the album chart and going "Do we have The Stranglers on this week's playlist?"

Jim
Ruby wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 09:08 It must be so disappointing for some buzzkill to see The Stranglers at number 4 in the charts but unfortunately that's where they are.It's official. There's no asterisk saying it doesn't really count and they won't be there next week and things have changed since their last top 10 album.It just says number 4 Stranglers Dark Matters. And it looks great.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Edit.
It must be so disappointing for some buzzkill to see The Stranglers at number 4 in the charts but unfortunately that's where they are.It's official. There's no asterisk saying it doesn't really count and they won't be there next week and things have changed since their last top 10 album.It just says number 4 Stranglers Dark Matters. And it looks great.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Ruby wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 09:38 Edit.
It must be so disappointing for some buzzkill to see The Stranglers at number 4 in the charts but unfortunately that's where they are.It's official. There's no asterisk saying it doesn't really count and they won't be there next week and things have changed since their last top 10 album.It just says number 4 Stranglers Dark Matters. And it looks great.
Hear hear
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Well 2,3 or 4 ....at this stage of their career and whatever the oddities with charts these days it's pretty amazing for the band . People who have never heard may be curious , not just about this but their whole catalogue now , people who have forgotten them or thought they weren't around anymore may be interested again .It can only be good .
All quiet ..........
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Had a wee wander around Glasgow city centre today, visited HMV, FOPP and Missing
record shops, never saw DM in any of them.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...