dark matters chart chances

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: dark matters chart chances

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 16:55
ricam wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 16:31 There was also a lot less choice and easy access to music in 1983 as there is now.
There was as much choice as there ever has been, just that people - on the whole - had to put in more thought over what to buy as they were spending their hard earned pennies on something they likely had never heard in full, and record sales were far higher, meaning you had to sell a ton for it to mean anything.
Choice of music in 1983 was largely confined to those with or who once had recording contracts whereas now not only do you have all the historical label recordings but the online universe of self published music - the choice is absolutely immense compared with 1983.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

There was some absolute bangers in 83

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

I disagree.

The Internet changed everything for almost anyone to put out an album and promote it on various websites.

The number of contemporary music courses now available in further and higher education has also had an effect.

Yeah there were garage bands and an underground scene but nothing like the explosion of choice we have today.

I'd struggle to access 50 unsigned indie bands in 1983.

A few clicks today and I've got them.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

giants
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by giants »

Just been in HMV stockport No sign of the stranglers being in the chart. 1 CD in the stranglers section and 1 Lp in in the S section. Steps got deluxe version of Lp and Manics Lp limited edition with different artwork
pity they could'nt get out a cd with the bonus dave disc and cassette to boost sales. Still top 5 in the year 2021 is beyond my wildest dreams.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

There's always been a degree of self-published/independent music, and it certainly existed in 1983. Ease of access is a different matter - if you're aware of it, then it's a choice (same as it ever was) ... on the flip side of that, there's a lot of it that I don't care about (because a large percentage of it is obviously going to be shite), therefore it isn't a choice (for me). Nevertheless, a band with a brand name as recognisable as The Stranglers isn't competing with a bunch of nobodies from Weston-Super-Mare whose audience consist of a closet full of their partners and mates and a dog, so factoring them into the equation is pointless.

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:22 There's always been a degree of self-published/independent music, and it certainly existed in 1983. Ease of access is a different matter - if you're aware of it, then it's a choice (same as it ever was) ... on the flip side of that, there's a lot of it that I don't care about (because a large percentage of it is obviously going to be shite), therefore it isn't a choice (for me). Nevertheless, a band with a brand name as recognisable as The Stranglers isn't competing with a bunch of nobodies from Weston-Super-Mare whose audience consist of a closet full of their partners and mates and a dog, so factoring them into the equation is pointless.
The difference in numbers between independently financed and recorded music in 1983 and self published now is probably a factor of thousands - if not more.

And The Stranglers are competing with unheard of nobodies with no audience by virtue of the internet and how music is now consumed - the majority of my listening time consists of listening to unknowns rather than established brand names.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Indeed. getting a number 4 album in 1983 was very different to now. Obviously you can argue the toss against that but I'll view it (and laugh) like the other weak arguments that have been thrown on here recently

Carry on !

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 15:20
Greatkudu wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 13:54 Well it doesn't really matter all this about Spotify, as the band have their highest chart position since Felline
and the point is that in 2021, that doesn't mean anywhere near as much as it would have done in 1983.
Well if your talking about actual numbers, of course no comparison as back in those days it was all hard copies and of course you can't compare to today, but do you not feel happy for the band? That however many copies they have sold, it's highest position since Feline, are you not pleased especially as the album is dedicated Dave Greenfield. Lt Kudu.

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:42 Indeed. getting a number 4 album in 1983 was very different to now. Obviously you can argue the toss against that but I'll view it (and laugh) like the other weak arguments that have been thrown on here recently

Carry on ! Image

Jim

Not a single person is.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:41 And The Stranglers are competing with unheard of nobodies with no audience by virtue of the internet and how music is now consumed - the majority of my listening time consists of listening to unknowns rather than established brand names.
That may well be the case, but the fact that you're already a Stranglers fan renders that line of thinking moot. That's like saying The Rolling Stones are competing with some garage band on Bandcamp - they're not. The internet has not levelled the playing field to that degree.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ricam wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 17:15 I disagree.

The Internet changed everything for almost anyone to put out an album and promote it on various websites.

The number of contemporary music courses now available in further and higher education has also had an effect.

Yeah there were garage bands and an underground scene but nothing like the explosion of choice we have today.

I'd struggle to access 50 unsigned indie bands in 1983.

A few clicks today and I've got them.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Your points are spot on.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:48
StanInBlack wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 15:20
Greatkudu wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 13:54 Well it doesn't really matter all this about Spotify, as the band have their highest chart position since Felline
and the point is that in 2021, that doesn't mean anywhere near as much as it would have done in 1983.
Well if your talking about actual numbers, of course no comparison as back in those days it was all hard copies and of course you can't compare to today, but do you not feel happy for the band? That however many copies they have sold, it's highest position since Feline, are you not pleased especially as the album is dedicated Dave Greenfield. Lt Kudu.
Well said i'm with you there too.