Rat Chat

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Rat Chat

Post by Greatkudu »

Sir we'll coup has Dave back on strong keyboards, so to be honest that's why I prefer over WIR, but it's the Summer in the City and Miss You that let's it down, but Valley a great song, Heaven good, Joy De Viva good, In fact Joy De Viva is a great song, so there are good songs, but it was left to Paul and John to finish album and they wrote most of the songs,but every Stranglers album has some good songs, in the end from Coup is a corker. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 May 2021, 18:19 Sir we'll coup has Dave back on strong keyboards, so to be honest that's why I prefer over WIR, but it's the Summer in the City and Miss You that let's it down, but Valley a great song, Heaven good, Joy De Viva good, In fact Joy De Viva is a great song, so there are good songs, but it was left to Paul and John to finish album and they wrote most of the songs,but every Stranglers album has some good songs, in the end from Coup is a corker. Lt Kudu.
Yep fair points yes your right alwful single choice in summer in the city i think we all agree with you there and yes Dave was back more on that album too your right.To be honest both are not that great as for the standards the stranglers have set as a band over the years and about times not much better either there all not great post Hugh it toke until NC to release something on a better level and quality which it was,but yes can see where your coming from though.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

toilerinblack wrote:
Greatkudu wrote: 26 May 2021, 18:19 Sir we'll coup has Dave back on strong keyboards, so to be honest that's why I prefer over WIR, but it's the Summer in the City and Miss You that let's it down, but Valley a great song, Heaven good, Joy De Viva good, In fact Joy De Viva is a great song, so there are good songs, but it was left to Paul and John to finish album and they wrote most of the songs,but every Stranglers album has some good songs, in the end from Coup is a corker. Lt Kudu.
Yep fair points yes your right alwful single choice in summer in the city i think we all agree with you there and yes Dave was back more on that album too your right.To be honest both are not that great as for the standards the stranglers have set as a band over the years and about times not much better either there all not great post Hugh it toke until NC to release something on a better level and quality which it was,but yes can see where your coming from though.
I don't think Summer in The City was officially released as a Single? I know there were some Promos around the time of the RAH Show.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 26 May 2021, 18:41
toilerinblack wrote:
I don't think Summer in The City was officially released as a Single? I know there were some Promos around the time of the RAH Show.

wasn't it? ok thanks, i wouldn't really know back then to be honest i wasn't really into mk11 much so i wouldn't really know all the ins and outs of the band back then .
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 May 2021, 19:33
Cells&Plasma wrote: 26 May 2021, 18:41
toilerinblack wrote: Yep fair points yes your right alwful single choice in summer in the city i think we all agree with you there and yes Dave was back more on that album too your right.To be honest both are not that great as for the standards the stranglers have set as a band over the years and about times not much better either there all not great post Hugh it toke until NC to release something on a better level and quality which it was,but yes can see where your coming from though.

Still back to the present and Rat Chat 6 was a good chat and now this past bad year for the band is now behind them they do now seem to be doing everything right and roll on september we have all waited along time and 9 years for it,but at last the release of.....The Album!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 May 2021, 19:47
Cells&Plasma wrote: 26 May 2021, 18:41 I don't think Summer in The City was officially released as a Single? I know there were some Promos around the time of the RAH Show.

Still back to the present and Rat Chat 6 was a good chat and now this past bad year for the band is now behind them they do now seem to be doing everything right and roll on september we have all waited along time and 9 years for it,but at last the release of.....The Album!
Yes no point in looking back, it's gone but great memories, I'm fully behind JJ and Co, and really excited about album, there is a review in vive le rock, of course they are bias, but will buy and read, as its a good magazine, run by Mr Robb stranglers fan extraordinaire. Lt Kudu
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 May 2021, 20:03
Yes no point in looking back, it's gone but great memories, I'm fully behind JJ and Co, and really excited about album, there is a review in vive le rock, of course they are bias, but will buy and read, as its a good magazine, run by Mr Robb stranglers fan extraordinaire. Lt Kudu
Absolutely! shame the once huge celeb fans like George Melly and Keith Floyd aer still not around could just imagine them being behind them for the new album.. Just great fans of the band they were,used to love hearing the stranglers playing on keiths cook shows.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 May 2021, 21:41
Greatkudu wrote: 26 May 2021, 20:03
Absolutely! shame the once huge celeb fans like George Melly and Keith Floyd aer still not around could just imagine them being behind them for the new album.. Just great fans of the band they were,used to love hearing the stranglers playing on keiths cook shows.
Yes Keith was great and so was George Melly, saw him live years ago, a great showman. Lt Kudu.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 26 May 2021, 18:41 I don't think Summer in The City was officially released as a Single? I know there were some Promos around the time of the RAH Show.
As I recall it (from "No Mercy" I think) the whole point of recording it was to release it as a single, but then someone else (Joe Cocker?) released it at the same time they were planning to, so the idea was shelved.

I don't think it's as terrible as some people do, it's not one I'd typically skip past when it comes around in the car, but I can't help thinking that a straight cover in the style of "96 Tears" would have been better.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

droopsnoot wrote:
As I recall it (from "No Mercy" I think) the whole point of recording it was to release it as a single, but then someone else (Joe Cocker?) released it at the same time they were planning to, so the idea was shelved.

I don't think it's as terrible as some people do, it's not one I'd typically skip past when it comes around in the car, but I can't help thinking that a straight cover in the style of "96 Tears" would have been better.
A straight Cover does exist and Paul played it to me in July 96 when I interviewed him. It was really good and I always wondered why that Version never made the completed LP.

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Wasn't it Paul's idea to "mash it up" and make it "trippy". Speaking like someone's grandad there :lol: :smt006

Jim
Cells&Plasma wrote: 27 May 2021, 09:06
droopsnoot wrote:

A straight Cover does exist and Paul played it to me in July 96 when I interviewed him. It was really good and I always wondered why that Version never made the completed LP.

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

theraven1979 wrote:Wasn't it Paul's idea to "mash it up" and make it "trippy". Speaking like someone's grandad there Image :smt006

Jim
Cells&Plasma wrote: 27 May 2021, 09:06
droopsnoot wrote: As I recall it (from "No Mercy" I think) the whole point of recording it was to release it as a single, but then someone else (Joe Cocker?) released it at the same time they were planning to, so the idea was shelved.

Yeah, you are right Jim. Paul and John were working on this Track alone at a Studio in Bermondsey in Summer 96.