Rat Chat

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Rat Chat

Post by Greatkudu »

Josh wrote: 25 May 2021, 14:12
Greatkudu wrote: 25 May 2021, 13:10
Josh wrote: 25 May 2021, 12:46

Musically, lyrically...
I have to say, I'm very surprised by what you say, as Guilty possibly Hughs best album after leaving the Stranglers. Lt Kudu.
It just doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid. I don't think it's his best solo album either.
Just shows we all hear things differently, would be boring if we all agreed. Lt Kudu :smt013
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 25 May 2021, 11:58
theraven1979 wrote: 25 May 2021, 08:41 Goes without saying

Jim
parasiteinblack wrote: 25 May 2021, 07:02

You appear to have missed out the words "in", "my" and "opinion" again.
Indeed. All one has to do is listen to Coup de Grace alongside Hi Fi, or Written in Red alongside Guilty, or Totem and Taboo alongside Giants and it all speaks for itself.
That's amazing. I thought I would have to justify my post at some point and I was going to say that I rated In the Night, About Time, Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI above all of Hugh's solo output but wasn't so sure about Coup de Grace, Written In Red and Giants.
As much as I'm unmoved by much of Giants I'd probably still rank it higher than Totem and Taboo.
Interesting that we've picked the same examples, but I'll refrain from calling it a consensus.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I like both albums - I rate WiR as possibly the best post MKI album. Despite that I'll take Guilty over it any day of the week

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 25 May 2021, 17:19 I like both albums - I rate WiR as possibly the best post MKI album. Despite that I'll take Guilty over it any day of the week

Jim
WIR has over the years taken a severe knocking but i think there are some good songs on it along with very good production too.I wouldn't rate alongside any of hughs albums with stranglers ones, even though three were good but Hugh would come out on top with any alongside comparisons for me with Guilty being the show piece.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 25 May 2021, 18:03
theraven1979 wrote: 25 May 2021, 17:19 I like both albums - I rate WiR as possibly the best post MKI album. Despite that I'll take Guilty over it any day of the week

Jim
WIR has over the years taken a severe knocking but i think there are some good songs on it along with very good production too.I wouldn't rate alongside any of hughs albums with stranglers ones, even though three were good but Hugh would come out on top with any alongside comparisons for me with Guilty being the show piece.
There are some good songs on WiR but also some shockers ie the worst ever Stranglers song IMHO miss you, truly terrible, I can't listen to that song, what were the band thinking of? To release such dire dross under the Stranglers name, I even prefer Coup to WiR, most of the original lineup up hated WiR at the time, it was Paul and Johns album with minimal involvement from Jet, JJ and Dave, a low point for me, even the tour was very poor I seem to remember. Dark Days. Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

The live version of Miss you sounded much better. Shame they didn't record that version. It's a shame because the album starts really well but ends poorly.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 May 2021, 08:37 most of the original lineup up hated WiR at the time
Perhaps they should have pulled their fingers out and got more involved, then. Although it's difficult for me to imagine it turning out any better, given the way the follow-up turned out.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

StanInBlack wrote: 26 May 2021, 11:06
Greatkudu wrote: 26 May 2021, 08:37 most of the original lineup up hated WiR at the time
Perhaps they should have pulled their fingers out and got more involved, then. Although it's difficult for me to imagine it turning out any better, given the way the follow-up turned out.
Yep, agreed on both counts. As much as JJ apparently "hated" WIR, there are some decent bass parts on it, and it's lightyears ahead of Coup imo, though that's not saying much.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Josh wrote:
Yep, agreed on both counts. As much as JJ apparently "hated" WIR, there are some decent bass parts on it, and it's lightyears ahead of Coup imo, though that's not saying much.
Didn't Andy Gill delete a load of Dave's Keyboards? Also, they had to re-record some of it in August 96. There's something about it in "No Mercy".

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 26 May 2021, 11:12
Josh wrote:

Didn't Andy Gill delete a load of Dave's Keyboards? Also, they had to re-record some of it in August 96. There's something about it in "No Mercy".

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
That would make sense, as Dave's parts are very different to the live versions. It doesn't sound like there's much of Dave on the album itself.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Dave nearly quit around that time as he felt so unhappy with the album. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 May 2021, 08:37
toilerinblack wrote: 25 May 2021, 18:03

Jim
There are some good songs on WiR but also some shockers ie the worst ever Stranglers song IMHO miss you, truly terrible, I can't listen to that song, what were the band thinking of? To release such dire dross under the Stranglers name, I even prefer Coup to WiR, most of the original lineup up hated WiR at the time, it was Paul and Johns album with minimal involvement from Jet, JJ and Dave, a low point for me, even the tour was very poor I seem to remember. Dark Days. Lt Kudu.
understandable points and views from you, but surely Coup could never be better than WIR? No i could never agree with that ever.WIR is far to slatted and deserves better than being compared to Coup which for me album wise was the lowest point in this bands history in just my view and i really don't know how so many of those songs made the final album.What i do like is its cover and God Is Good the opening music to its good i like the 1st minute or two but then that's it the vocals to the music just didn't work at all for me.So apart from an opening first two minutes that's about all i liked on Coup which isn't a lot for an album,where as for me WIR does have a handful of good songs with top production and i must say Pauls vocals was very good on it too,he sang some of the songs especially Here which i play alot very nicely.I don't ever play anything from Coup,but many may disagree we all have different likes and dislikes and Coup has to be my biggest dislike from this band.