The Stranglers on Later with Jools Holland?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

The Stranglers on Later with Jools Holland?

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Jools Holland last week was quite good for a change, Noel Gallagher was on the show selecting some his fave Later performances including Macca, The Coral etc.
I noticed when someone here on the forum posted a link to where The Stranglers were in the charts that Macca and the Coral were back in the charts too (same songs performed on Later) the very day after the show which I presume could only be because of these ‘Later’ performances.

Shows the power of that show I guess (or Noel Gallagher!?) and perhaps if they showed the video to the latest The Stranglers single it might have pushed it to no.1?

I never understood why The Stranglers were never invited onto the show (apart from Hugh) and so much utter shite was.
I’m sure I once heard that JJ commented on Jools Holland’s lack of personal hygiene many many years ago. Could it be that or does some ‘John Savage’ type still hold a grudge 40 yrs on?

Also we never got see any BBC Stranglers at Glastonbury footage, did any get filmed? I heard more people turned up to see The Stranglers through the day than the headliners U2, yet we got I believe no footage shown whatsoever from The Stranglers.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: The Stranglers on Later with Jools Holland?

Post by theraven1979 »

I guess it would be difficult with JJ being in France and the keyboardist not announced (to you anyway :lol: ).

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yeh hes had Hugh on a few times now i remember Hughs First bus he did on a stool that was brilliant,why the stranglers have not been on Jools i dont know,thats just the sort of publicity they could do with.Saying that like Jim has said JJs stuck back in France anyway.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Apparently it's the production team that decide who gets on the show, though I imagine Mr Holland has some input. Pity that this seems to be one of the areas of TV where a Stranglers fan hasn't ended up working. I've given up hoping they'll turn up on there, though I'd still like it to happen of course.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Jools played on Wolf a long long time ago.

I only watch Jools Hootenanny to be honest and by that time I am way past caring lol

Always loved The Fall who did a performance there after Mark E Smith making it clear to the Jools team there would be no boogie woogie piano tolerated during their songs.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

The fact that the term macca for that bloke from the Beatles is used just fucking annoys me jools Holland a bland little puppet stuff his show
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

and the keyboardist not announced (to you anyway :lol: ).
:grin:
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 17 May 2021, 12:50

Also we never got see any BBC Stranglers at Glastonbury footage, did any get filmed? I heard more people turned up to see The Stranglers through the day than the headliners U2, yet we got I believe no footage shown whatsoever from The Stranglers.
It wasn't U2 was it? And there's no way the headliners would attract a smaller audience, so I don't know where that theory came from, mate. It was a great crowd for our MIB and I did see some clips on TV but it's true, it wasn't full coverage or much airtime.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

U2 were supposed to be headlining on the Friday night but pulled out because Bono had hurt his back, and were replaced by Gorillaz, according to Wiki.

I've heard a lot of talk about how many people watched The Stranglers, but how does anyone know? The crowd looked big from the various videos I've seen of it, but how would anyone get a number? I've never been to Glastonbury, do people do some kind of "check in" at each stage for each act, or is it just an estimate? I presumed that once you've got into the place you can wander around at will, maybe with some kind of special pass to get into camping areas and the like.

As for getting on Jools Holland or anything else, they badly need a promoter again, someone who can get them slots on various programmes and build a bit of momentum. But by the time it'll be possible to build that kind of thing up, they'll be preparing for and then touring Europe, then Christmas, then the quiet season, then the postponed UK tour. And if CV kicks up again and causes the tours to be postponed again, doing TV appearances will be a problem too.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The Stranglers have got about as big as they're ever going to get. No amount of TV appearances or radio play is going to change this. At this point, 99.999% of the time they're preaching to the converted.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

It's just another one of those ships that have passed (in the day or night I'm not sure...)
I Hate You !
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

droopsnoot wrote: 18 May 2021, 12:05 U2 were supposed to be headlining on the Friday night but pulled out because Bono had hurt his back, and were replaced by Gorillaz, according to Wiki.

I've heard a lot of talk about how many people watched The Stranglers, but how does anyone know? The crowd looked big from the various videos I've seen of it, but how would anyone get a number? I've never been to Glastonbury, do people do some kind of "check in" at each stage for each act, or is it just an estimate? I presumed that once you've got into the place you can wander around at will, maybe with some kind of special pass to get into camping areas and the like.

As for getting on Jools Holland or anything else, they badly need a promoter again, someone who can get them slots on various programmes and build a bit of momentum. But by the time it'll be possible to build that kind of thing up, they'll be preparing for and then touring Europe, then Christmas, then the quiet season, then the postponed UK tour. And if CV kicks up again and causes the tours to be postponed again, doing TV appearances will be a problem too.
Gigs aren't really comparable when one is in the afternoon (ours) and 'headliners' are last gig on main stage sort of scenario at night.

Good question re how to work out the crowd... funnily enough I did try to do that as I was lucky enough to be there. I can't remember if I read it or it was an educated guess but IIRC '85,000 crowd' was mentioned, so I estimated it to be a few thousand lower than that. Anyone who went to football matches when terraces and standing were the norm might have learned how to estimate the crowd if they were acquainted with the stadium :grin: . Sounds crap I know but it worked for me :P
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.