The Stranglers on Later with Jools Holland?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: The Stranglers on Later with Jools Holland?

Post by droopsnoot »

I imagined that maybe there were certain points along the side where people could tell that perhaps if the crowd reaches the front of the mixing desk booth, it's x thousand, if they're around the sides of it, it's a bit more, and so on. Now, if they put rfid tags in the wristbands it'd be easy to get a proper count. I thought it might be a guesstimate. I am unable to estimate distance or crowd sizes in any way, so I can't say it's right or wrong.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
laurie
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by laurie »

Bobinblack wrote: 19 May 2021, 10:16
droopsnoot wrote: 18 May 2021, 12:05 U2 were supposed to be headlining on the Friday night but pulled out because Bono had hurt his back, and were replaced by Gorillaz, according to Wiki.

I've heard a lot of talk about how many people watched The Stranglers, but how does anyone know? The crowd looked big from the various videos I've seen of it, but how would anyone get a number? I've never been to Glastonbury, do people do some kind of "check in" at each stage for each act, or is it just an estimate? I presumed that once you've got into the place you can wander around at will, maybe with some kind of special pass to get into camping areas and the like.

As for getting on Jools Holland or anything else, they badly need a promoter again, someone who can get them slots on various programmes and build a bit of momentum. But by the time it'll be possible to build that kind of thing up, they'll be preparing for and then touring Europe, then Christmas, then the quiet season, then the postponed UK tour. And if CV kicks up again and causes the tours to be postponed again, doing TV appearances will be a problem too.
Gigs aren't really comparable when one is in the afternoon (ours) and 'headliners' are last gig on main stage sort of scenario at night.

Good question re how to work out the crowd... funnily enough I did try to do that as I was lucky enough to be there. I can't remember if I read it or it was an educated guess but IIRC '85,000 crowd' was mentioned, so I estimated it to be a few thousand lower than that. Anyone who went to football matches when terraces and standing were the norm might have learned how to estimate the crowd if they were acquainted with the stadium :grin: . Sounds crap I know but it worked for me :P
I always count the legs then ÷ by 2
do you wanna
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

laurie wrote: 19 May 2021, 13:40
droopsnoot wrote: 18 May 2021, 12:05 U2 were supposed to be headlining on the Friday night but pulled out because Bono had hurt his back, and were replaced by Gorillaz, according to Wiki.

I've heard a lot of talk about how many people watched The Stranglers, but how does anyone know? The crowd looked big from the various videos I've seen of it, but how would anyone get a number? I've never been to Glastonbury, do people do some kind of "check in" at each stage for each act, or is it just an estimate? I presumed that once you've got into the place you can wander around at will, maybe with some kind of special pass to get into camping areas and the like.

As for getting on Jools Holland or anything else, they badly need a promoter again, someone who can get them slots on various programmes and build a bit of momentum. But by the time it'll be possible to build that kind of thing up, they'll be preparing for and then touring Europe, then Christmas, then the quiet season, then the postponed UK tour. And if CV kicks up again and causes the tours to be postponed again, doing TV appearances will be a problem too.
Gigs aren't really comparable when one is in the afternoon (ours) and 'headliners' are last gig on main stage sort of scenario at night.

Good question re how to work out the crowd... funnily enough I did try to do that as I was lucky enough to be there. I can't remember if I read it or it was an educated guess but IIRC '85,000 crowd' was mentioned, so I estimated it to be a few thousand lower than that. Anyone who went to football matches when terraces and standing were the norm might have learned how to estimate the crowd if they were acquainted with the stadium :grin: . Sounds crap I know but it worked for me :P
Good idea, thanks, till now I've counted feet and then divided by 10.
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

Lafleur wrote: 19 May 2021, 13:53

Do people have ten feet???
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

cassini wrote: 19 May 2021, 20:39
Lafleur wrote: 19 May 2021, 13:53

Do people have ten feet???
Of course not, just to show the bizarreness or scurrility as also nobody counts legs... 🤓
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

:mrgreen: :grin:
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.