Jim

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Jim

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 15:46
toilerinblack wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 15:09
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 09:42 Jet will always be the Stranglers drummer, even though he is retired from playing as he was the Co founder and the time he spent with the band in their Golden Days, and he is still listed as a band member, but of course in an advisory role, but Jim of course is a Strangler now, but only because Jet retired, he doesn't have the core bond that Jet has with JJ obviously,but he is helping the band carry on and is a fine drummer and nice bloke, maybe a bit to nice for the Stranglers? Lt Kudu, I play drums and know all the beats if Jim ever gets ill for a gig or to. :smt012
i hope Jets all well and in good health still.
Jim deff a nice bloke and fine drummer, I hope Jet is keeping well, but he's a very private man and has earned his retirement, its nice to know he is kept informed still, and of course he has strong opinion about the band. I think he will he proud of the new album. Lt Kudu.
Mathew S
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Mathew S »

The band were really keen to get Jet involved in some capacity as a performer on the album but his health and opportunities to collaborate meant it was impossible
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Mathew S wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 16:47 The band were really keen to get Jet involved in some capacity as a performer on the album but his health and opportunities to collaborate meant it was impossible
Off course,at least Jet is there as an advisor as he is a very wise man.But I think it's very unlikely he will ever make a public appearance again, he deserves a rest after all his amazing work over the years. Lt Kudu.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

toilerinblack wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 15:45 for as long as Dave was in the band of over 40 odd years he was hardly ever interviewed much unless that was out of choice
Dave was happy to let Hugh and JJ deal with the media - he had far better things to do with his time 😎 Jet wasn't keen on the media at all and would just say anything off the wall to avoid further questions!

Jim has done interviews, but more so about his kit and his drumming than The Stranglers - he's been 'the new boy' for the last several years and I doubt he feels confident that he could contribute as much as JJ or Baz.. In he MK II and MK III days it was almost always JJ and Paul doing the interviews, JJ for his experience, and Paul because he liked to talk! 😁
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

The only song where I dislike Jim's drumming is when he played Genetix, due to his kit set up ie only one mounted Tom and two floor toms it just didn't sound right to me as Jet had two mounted toms which is the set up you need to play it properly, of course Jet went from snare to right Tom to floor Tom and back to right Tom before he goes over to do the snare hit with left hand and right hand doing the hi Hat fill, confused? So am I.Lt Kudu. :smt005
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 18:36 The only song where I dislike Jim's drumming is when he ...
The only bit I don't like is at the end of Tank, I don't know how to describe that little drum bit right at the end of the song, but Jim didn't do it.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 08:59
Greatkudu wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 18:36 The only song where I dislike Jim's drumming is when he ...
The only bit I don't like is at the end of Tank, I don't know how to describe that little drum bit right at the end of the song, but Jim didn't do it.
Oh I forgot that one, you shouldn't have mentioned it :smt005, so I will stop their as the boy Jim does a fine job,I do notice his snare sound and kit sound has been tuned to sound like Jets and he plays Ludwig which Jet had had a second kit as well as his Gretch, then he used Promuco etc. Lt Kudu
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 10:22
droopsnoot wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 08:59
Oh I forgot that one, you shouldn't have mentioned it :smt005, so I will stop their as the boy Jim does a fine job,I do notice his snare sound and kit sound has been tuned to sound like Jets and he plays Ludwig which Jet had had a second kit as well as his Gretch, then he used Promuco etc. Lt Kudu
ok if you say so lol... you know your drums more than i lol..... i'm with you on the Jim front i back him full stop than knock him,he does a great fill for Jet and a real strangler in Jet's absence.
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dead ringer »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 18:36 The only song where I dislike Jim's drumming is when he played Genetix, due to his kit set up ie only one mounted Tom and two floor toms it just didn't sound right to me as Jet had two mounted toms which is the set up you need to play it properly, of course Jet went from snare to right Tom to floor Tom and back to right Tom before he goes over to do the snare hit with left hand and right hand doing the hi Hat fill, confused? So am I.Lt Kudu. :smt005
Jet has gone and Jim's the drummer now and he probably wants to stamp his own style and personality on the songs as has Baz, even JJ sounds and plays differently now with different equipment and a somewhat different style, remember they're not a tribute band! :wink:
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

remember they're not a tribute band
Apparently the new keyboard player is from a former tribute band... 8)
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

evonx wrote:
remember they're not a tribute band
Apparently the new keyboard player is from a former tribute band... 8)
FFS how many more times? Indie before tribute

All will be revealed soon Image

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

Jim has put a picture of him and Baz on Instagram today saying the band have been rehearsing with someone whose name he can’t tell us yet - obviously referring to the new keyboard player.
To think in Norfolk Coast/Suite XVl days I was the one breaking the news and now I haven’t the foggiest who it is going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk