New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: New keyboard player

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 06 May 2021, 17:15
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 05 May 2021, 22:53
toilerinblack wrote: 05 May 2021, 22:45 Well i dont know about a former straighten out player but for me as ive been going on and on about for me is mick turley the present one,hes brilliant hes met dave with a lovely pic of him with dave on their sight hes the one name i would have,that ive been saying for about a year now.But if it is a tribute player at all in any shape or form then again they have got it right, but we shall see who they have got.
Yeah that Mick fella is very good from the vids I’ve seen on youtube and plays/ sounds like Dave did in the 70’s / early 80’s with the same sort of equipment being utilised but did he play with JJ 20 years ago though?
:smt017
Yeah i dont know thats the puzzler who was it that played with JJ 20 years ago i don't know and i don't know Straighten Outs history that far back,i only got into them a couple of years ago.JJ has said its a Dave disciple what ever that means lol the mystery thickens,i take it that means maybe a real fan of Daves that can play his music maybe or admires him or could be a follower of him and the band maybe i don't know i'm just guessing like everybody else.But whoever he or she is a fan of Dave is good to me that's the wavelength i'd like them to be on,i'd be happy.I've been saying this for god knows how long in just my opinion don't get some big name or someone whos not really into this band and loves their music,to me thats pointless get a real Dave fan who can play his stuff already to a t.
They no how important it is to get the right man, of course he will be a big fan, and his playing will be a celebration of Daves fantastic keyboard parts over the years. Lt Kudu.
Damian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Damian »

I think the reason they haven't announced who it is yet is they probably need to rehearse etc to see how he/she fits in both artistically and technically.
Remember the Stranglers Live show is not just a case of turn up and play. There is all sorts of things to take in to account such as playing to playback monitoring systems IEM etc and how much experience does the keyboard player have with this?
Whoever it is I'm sure they will be ok.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Well if they decide the person isn't suitable then that puts them back to square one with tour dates looming.Its too late for all that.Whoever it is has got the job, no trial period
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 May 2021, 17:23
toilerinblack wrote: 06 May 2021, 17:15
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 05 May 2021, 22:53

Yeah that Mick fella is very good from the vids I’ve seen on youtube and plays/ sounds like Dave did in the 70’s / early 80’s with the same sort of equipment being utilised but did he play with JJ 20 years ago though?
:smt017
Yeah i dont know thats the puzzler who was it that played with JJ 20 years ago i don't know and i don't know Straighten Outs history that far back,i only got into them a couple of years ago.JJ has said its a Dave disciple what ever that means lol the mystery thickens,i take it that means maybe a real fan of Daves that can play his music maybe or admires him or could be a follower of him and the band maybe i don't know i'm just guessing like everybody else.But whoever he or she is a fan of Dave is good to me that's the wavelength i'd like them to be on,i'd be happy.I've been saying this for god knows how long in just my opinion don't get some big name or someone whos not really into this band and loves their music,to me thats pointless get a real Dave fan who can play his stuff already to a t.
They no how important it is to get the right man, of course he will be a big fan, and his playing will be a celebration of Daves fantastic keyboard parts over the years. Lt Kudu.
Thats right JJ said this player will be in honour of Dave,that to me is so good to hear.
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

So it's english singer-songwriter Sophie Ellis-Bextor as Arthur predicted?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

airflamesred wrote: 06 May 2021, 21:31 So it's english singer-songwriter Sophie Ellis-Bextor as Arthur predicted?
Does bextor play the keyboards? Lt kudu. She is not the keyboard chap. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Not long to wait now as JJ has said he will soon be revealed to the world,so will i be a happy fan?
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Damian wrote:I think the reason they haven't announced who it is yet is they probably need to rehearse etc to see how he/she fits in both artistically and technically.
Remember the Stranglers Live show is not just a case of turn up and play. There is all sorts of things to take in to account such as playing to playback monitoring systems IEM etc and how much experience does the keyboard player have with this?
Yes that's one thing I've wondered about ie if it is somebody from a tribute band or much smaller band would they be familiar with the technicalities of a sizeable stage production like the Stranglers and all that goes with it?
Would they be comfortable playing to thousands of people?
I Hate You !
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

There mIght be a few nerves on the early shows. That's to be expected. Once bedded in he should be fine.
Let's Boogie
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

aldinblack wrote: 06 May 2021, 23:16
Damian wrote:I think the reason they haven't announced who it is yet is they probably need to rehearse etc to see how he/she fits in both artistically and technically.
Yes that's one thing I've wondered about ie if it is somebody from a tribute band or much smaller band would they be familiar with the technicalities of a sizeable stage production like the Stranglers and all that goes with it?
I dont think anybody needs to worry about a tribute player coming in,he will be well good enough.JJ & co have made the right move in my opinion.The futre looks good and like he said on his interview hes very much up for it still you can still the fires still burning to play and entertain that a real musician who enjoys so much what he does for a living,also intresting i thought that Jet so behind them carrying on their chairleader as JJ puts it that wants the band to keep going until the last mans left still standing,great talk i thought..This band is truely amazing will they see 50 years dont right this band off.Its now their NEW BEGINNING!
Last edited by toilerinblack on 07 May 2021, 15:04, edited 4 times in total.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

aldinblack wrote: 06 May 2021, 23:16 Yes that's one thing I've wondered about ie if it is somebody from a tribute band or much smaller band would they be familiar with the technicalities of a sizeable stage production like the Stranglers and all that goes with it?
Of course they are, otherwise they would not have been hired!
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 07 May 2021, 13:42
aldinblack wrote: 06 May 2021, 23:16
Yes i cant see that being a problem,would there be pressure on the new comer yes of course there would be and i think JJ is holding back trying to take that pressure off until he thinks the time is right and also Daves a hard act to follow anyway,taking over from someone the fans have known to be standing their at the back for 40 odd years and obviously his music too that hes uniquely composed in his own style of things.But tribute players are used to playing daves music backwards this was my whole point about saying it had to be a tribute player its hard enough bringing in someone who isnt familiar with daves music,learn it and play it to an audience.Someone like Mick Turley from straighten out for example or whoever has known daves material backwards for years has been used to playing it to stranglers fans live anyway, which for someone like JJ whose been looking around for the right person why would you need to look any further a field than someone who loves stranglers music and plays it already parallel to the real band.This has been my point for the last year when people were saying bring in a big name or well known player,i say why? theres perfect non known names who are tribute players out there that will come in and do the job becuase they already have been doing it in front of people already and are fans themselves which is even better i think you could'nt ask for anyone more suited for the position.So lets see who they name because as yet we dont know and are waiting as JJ puts it to reveal him to the world at some point,but im pleased that JJ in just opinion on it and others may disagree on the subject and have a difference of opinion which is fair enough too,but for me only im glad that JJ has taken the right path and choosing the sort of person that would be perfect to take over as the Dave disiple as JJ puts it.So i wait for them to announce who it will be,when they think the time is right.