And If You Should See Dave.....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: And If You Should See Dave.....

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 05 May 2021, 21:04
Lafleur wrote: 05 May 2021, 20:26
markorbit wrote: 05 May 2021, 19:30

Yes I'm in agreement with you there.
It's more the motivation and emotional feeling which counts with this song. Nice track but not exceptional. Clearly the fans like it but how is it rated by Joe and Sue Public? The track reminds me a bit of New Day Today.
The best part of the song for me is where JJ sings "this is where your solo goes", followed by that brief instrumental section where you can imagine Dave soloing over it, but obviously there's no solo there, putting emphasis on both the fact that he's no longer with us and how the music is affected by him not being there. I think that's a great moment.
Well spotted and worked out, you could well be right there.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Lafleur wrote: 05 May 2021, 21:06 Anyone has noticed that on the official Stranglers Youtube channel it says that the song is "written by JJ Burnel & Baz Warne. Produced, mixed and mastered by Louie Nicastro". So no full Stranglers song? Programmed or no keyboards? Drumming by Jim who is now an official Strangler.
Hmm. They've normally always shared the publishing out between all members of the band, no matter who wrote the song. I guess with Jet and Dave no longer being in the band, that JJ and Baz no longer feel the need to do this?
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

i've only just heard the full version from the snippet yesturday and i must say its very good.Great beginning and good vocals from JJ and great guitaring from baz just lovely,just heard the ending for the first time with the sad but right ending i feel with the should be where the solo goes like you say,great tribute that has been very well thought out and written.
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:
Lafleur wrote: 05 May 2021, 21:06 Anyone has noticed that on the official Stranglers Youtube channel it says that the song is "written by JJ Burnel & Baz Warne. Produced, mixed and mastered by Louie Nicastro". So no full Stranglers song? Programmed or no keyboards? Drumming by Jim who is now an official Strangler.
Hmm. They've normally always shared the publishing out between all members of the band, no matter who wrote the song. I guess with Jet and Dave no longer being in the band, that JJ and Baz no longer feel the need to do this?
We'll know how it's going when we see the album credits.
Eight will be Stranglers as Dave was involved then we'll see how they credit the other three.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

theraven1979 wrote: 05 May 2021, 10:43 Dare I say it but there's a tinge of an Everly Brothers sound when Baz joins JJ for the chorus. Anyone else getting that? Kinda like a vintage feel to it.

Jim
Much more reminiscent of The Hollies to me.. I wonder if they were an early influence?

https://youtu.be/IhfO2FLC-bM
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

gjinblack wrote: 05 May 2021, 21:47
StanInBlack wrote:
Eight will be Stranglers as Dave was involved then we'll see how they credit the other three.

Yeah, I'd still expect to see Dave getting a songwriting credit on the tracks that he was involved with - and of course let's not forget that one of the songs on the record is a cover(!)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

sendwarrior wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 05 May 2021, 10:43 Dare I say it but there's a tinge of an Everly Brothers sound when Baz joins JJ for the chorus. Anyone else getting that? Kinda like a vintage feel to it.

Jim
Much more reminiscent of The Hollies to me.. I wonder if they were an early influence?

https://youtu.be/IhfO2FLC-bM
Yeah some of that as well. Think they were deffo going for that vibe

Maybe we'll get "he ain't heavy, he's my brother" on the b side?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 May 2021, 20:23 Well I have listened to this song many times now and I think you would have to be the tin man not to be moved by the song? It's a very emotional and heartfelt song, it shows that JJ is not afraid to show his emotions, about a loved friend and band mate, I love it that Baz does a bit of vocal later in the song as they were very close, I really can't see any sonic or emotion reason not to like this song? If the rest of the album is as good as this, as I have said we are in for possibly the best album since Hugh fell on his sword about 2 million years ago : :smt005

Lt Kudu.
Indeed, the song ‘Ice Queen’ comes to mind if anyone isn’t moved by this song (joke)
Everyone is different so I guess not every Stranglers fan will be emotionally effected by this song, some of us are Snowflakes.
Seriously though it’s such a very moving song and has certainly hit me hard, fucking welled up. You know it’s been a shite year for all of us and Dave’s gone :? and this song really hits home and reflects this.
Also love the fact that JJ is not afraid to show his emotions and on that Rat Chat & the John Robb interview it was quite hard to watch to be honest to see a man who’s been a hero of mine and a huge influence on many things in my life since 1977 just breakdown like that but it makes me respect the man even more.
Again I thank you JJ for writing such a beautiful and heartfelt song for us fans.
:smt006
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 05 May 2021, 22:18
Greatkudu wrote: 05 May 2021, 20:23 Well I have listened to this song many times now and I think you would have to be the tin man not to be moved by the song? It's a very emotional and heartfelt song, it shows that JJ is not afraid to show his emotions, about a loved friend and band mate, I love it that Baz does a bit of vocal later in the song as they were very close, I really can't see any sonic or emotion reason not to like this song? If the rest of the album is as good as this, as I have said we are in for possibly the best album since Hugh fell on his sword about 2 million years ago : :smt005

Lt Kudu.
Indeed, the song ‘Ice Queen’ comes to mind if anyone isn’t moved by this song (joke)
Everyone is different so I guess not every Stranglers fan will be emotionally effected by this song, some of us are Snowflakes.
Seriously though it’s such a very moving song and has certainly hit me hard, fucking welled up. You know it’s been a shite year for all of us and Dave’s gone :? and this song really hits home and reflects this.
Also love the fact that JJ is not afraid to show his emotions and on that Rat Chat & the John Robb interview it was quite hard to watch to be honest to see a man who’s been a hero of mine and a huge influence on many things in my life since 1977 just breakdown like that but it makes me respect the man even more.
Again I thank you JJ for writing such a beautiful and heartfelt song for us fans.
:smt006
Sir well put, very nice words, your know Ice Queen :smt005 and your not a snowflake, but a real loyal fan of the band. Lt Kudu.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 05 May 2021, 22:18
Yes it is - I spent all day yesterday holding back the tears while I was trying to work.. 😥 Had to let some spill out in the end 💔
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:
gjinblack wrote: 05 May 2021, 21:47
StanInBlack wrote: Hmm. They've normally always shared the publishing out between all members of the band, no matter who wrote the song. I guess with Jet and Dave no longer being in the band, that JJ and Baz no longer feel the need to do this?

Yeah, I'd still expect to see Dave getting a songwriting credit on the tracks that he was involved with - and of course let's not forget that one of the songs on the record is a cover(!)
Yes of course, I forgot about the cover.

euromanc-ometh
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

The more I hear the song, the more I like. I think the production sounds crisp to. Lt Kudu Hardy.