And If You Should See Dave.....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: And If You Should See Dave.....

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

theraven1979 wrote: 05 May 2021, 10:43 Dare I say it but there's a tinge of an Everly Brothers sound when Baz joins JJ for the chorus. Anyone else getting that? Kinda like a vintage feel to it.

Jim
Ish.
Baz’s note choice on the guitar parts and solo + the pick up selection/ tone on the guitar is perfect, very 50-60’s, very Hank Marvin-ish to my ears.

Has anyone mentioned (prob deffo soft Synth) the Tubular Bells yet?
:grin:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I was referring to the vocals.

Jim
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 05 May 2021, 11:59
theraven1979 wrote: 05 May 2021, 10:43 Dare I say it but there's a tinge of an Everly Brothers sound when Baz joins JJ for the chorus. Anyone else getting that? Kinda like a vintage feel to it.

Jim
Ish.
Baz’s note choice on the guitar parts and solo + the pick up selection/ tone on the guitar is perfect, very 50-60’s, very Hank Marvin-ish to my ears.

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

theraven1979 wrote: 05 May 2021, 12:17 I was referring to the vocals.

Jim
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 05 May 2021, 11:59

Jim
Ish.

Yes I know that Jim, that’s why I said ‘ish’ being an Everly Brothers fan too.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

First impressions are good, like the song a lot - fitting tribute to Dave.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

A very fitting tribute. Nice vocals from JJ
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I can't fault the motivation/idea behind the song at all, and I'm glad that they wrote it and that those that like it enjoy it. I do think the lyrics are a little heavy handed/on the nose, and I'm glad that it's JJ singing it and not Baz - it wouldn't have felt right otherwise. There's some neat touches in the backing vocals, and musically it reminds me of a lower calorie version of "Instead of This", but overall it's not up there with the best of the new material that I've heard so far and probably would have been better as a b-side, and it brings me absolutely no joy whatsoever to say that.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

StanInBlack wrote: 05 May 2021, 16:42 I can't fault the motivation/idea behind the song at all, and I'm glad that they wrote it and that those that like it enjoy it. I do think the lyrics are a little heavy handed/on the nose, and I'm glad that it's JJ singing it and not Baz - it wouldn't have felt right otherwise. There's some neat touches in the backing vocals, and musically it reminds me of a lower calorie version of "Instead of This", but overall it's not up there with the best of the new material that I've heard so far and probably would have been better as a b-side, and it brings me absolutely no joy whatsoever to say that.
Yes I'm in agreement with you there.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Well I have listened to this song many times now and I think you would have to be the tin man not to be moved by the song? It's a very emotional and heartfelt song, it shows that JJ is not afraid to show his emotions, about a loved friend and band mate, I love it that Baz does a bit of vocal later in the song as they were very close, I really can't see any sonic or emotion reason not to like this song? If the rest of the album is as good as this, as I have said we are in for possibly the best album since Hugh fell on his sword about 2 million years ago : :smt005

Lt Kudu.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

markorbit wrote: 05 May 2021, 19:30
StanInBlack wrote: 05 May 2021, 16:42 I can't fault the motivation/idea behind the song at all, and I'm glad that they wrote it and that those that like it enjoy it. I do think the lyrics are a little heavy handed/on the nose, and I'm glad that it's JJ singing it and not Baz - it wouldn't have felt right otherwise. There's some neat touches in the backing vocals, and musically it reminds me of a lower calorie version of "Instead of This", but overall it's not up there with the best of the new material that I've heard so far and probably would have been better as a b-side, and it brings me absolutely no joy whatsoever to say that.
It's more the motivation and emotional feeling which counts with this song. Nice track but not exceptional. Clearly the fans like it but how is it rated by Joe and Sue Public? The track reminds me a bit of New Day Today.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Lafleur wrote: 05 May 2021, 20:26
markorbit wrote: 05 May 2021, 19:30
It's more the motivation and emotional feeling which counts with this song. Nice track but not exceptional. Clearly the fans like it but how is it rated by Joe and Sue Public? The track reminds me a bit of New Day Today.
The best part of the song for me is where JJ sings "this is where your solo goes", followed by that brief instrumental section where you can imagine Dave soloing over it, but obviously there's no solo there, putting emphasis on both the fact that he's no longer with us and how the music is affected by him not being there. I think that's a great moment.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Anyone has noticed that on the official Stranglers Youtube channel it says that the song is "written by JJ Burnel & Baz Warne. Produced, mixed and mastered by Louie Nicastro". So no full Stranglers song? Programmed or no keyboards? Drumming by Jim who is now an official Strangler.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yes tublar bells very nice touch i think too,lovely tribute song i think for Dave but i don't think its a single thats the only negative thing i can say with all the positives in the last few days from them.I think no keyboards in this song which does sound a little strange not hearing it but its the right move from them for this song i think that they've got right.