And If You Should See Dave.....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: And If You Should See Dave.....

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 19:19 Sir Dave was a bit of a petrol head, so thats why they had the car
But who knew? First I heard was after the video...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 21:27
Greatkudu wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 19:19 Sir Dave was a bit of a petrol head, so thats why they had the car
Thought it was common knowledge, he drove a BMW M3 with top speed of 155mph.So used to blast down from Cambridge to the Farm in Somerset for rehearsals. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yanders wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 17:55
8088 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 17:29
theraven1979 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 17:19 As cheesey vids go I don't think this is too bad. I'm glad it's kinda sublte and not crammed full of Dave-isms. Adds a certain charm and class about it IMO

Jim
I find the Dave references as subtle as a brick through the window - the only one I didn't wince at was the Gospel reference at The Regent Theater.

I'm just bitter because they didn't run with If Something's Gonna Kill Me as the comeback single - which I find massively superior.
I think this release was a nod to dave near the anniversary, and not intended to be anything like a comeback single.

I think they release something more commercial nearer to the album release.
yes i think that makes sense too,if you think about it they've released this for him first away from the album release and anything more of a commercial
single to go side by side with the album like if something as the single to all run with the euro tour too if that is it does go ahead but,maybe you might be right,we shall see.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 22:10
Thought it was common knowledge, he drove a BMW M3 with top speed of 155mph.So used to blast down from Cambridge to the Farm in Somerset for rehearsals. Lt Kudu.
And there's a picture of him standing in front of a Porsche 924 turbo, though I'm not sure if it was his. I hadn't realised he'd had a motorbike at any point though, and I thought of him more as being into flying than driving - it was only that article in the magazine a few years back where he was on about his M3 that gave it away. Not sure a sixties Mustang is much of a petrolheads car, though, more of a cruiser.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

droopsnoot wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 13:34

And there's a picture of him standing in front of a Porsche 924 turbo, though I'm not sure if it was his. I hadn't realised he'd had a motorbike at any point though, and I thought of him more as being into flying than driving - it was only that article in the magazine a few years back where he was on about his M3 that gave it away. Not sure a sixties Mustang is much of a petrolheads car, though, more of a cruiser.
well yeah it is more of a cruiser like you say maybe they should of used the M3 but then you wouldn't of got the same type of video they were after with the open top car cruising with the woman driving along and getting the shots of her getting in the car and driving it with the passing scenery in the background that did have Dave references to see and they did capture it well with his keyboard sitting in the back of an open top car,it all worked well using that type of car but maybe with no relevence to dave at all though.At the end of the day it was just the video and the main important thing for me is the song itself which i think was a good enough tribute.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 13:34

I read somewhere he was in to motorbikes in his younger days,there is a pic of him sitting on one of the Hells Angels bikes in the club house after the infamous Paradisio gig. Of course the Rapido footage in 1990 has some sporty looking cars outside by the rehearsal venue, I think one was possibly Daves? Or JJs? Lt Kudu.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 17:01 Of course the Rapido footage in 1990 has some sporty looking cars outside by the rehearsal venue, I think one was possibly Daves? Or JJs? Lt Kudu.
I remember there was a Citroen DS outside the industrial unit, which I presumed at the time was JJs, but now I think it might be more likely to have been Hugh's if it was anyone's. There's a white Range Rover, which might have been the one that Hugh said JJ borrowed from him when he lost his license and wouldn't give back. There's what looks like a Renault Espace and the front of a Ford Sierra - neither much of anything special on the face of it. There is a red Fiesta behind a couple of other cars, and I recall some mention in "No Mercy" that Jet had a Fiesta at one point.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 18:28
Greatkudu wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 17:01 Of course the Rapido footage in 1990 has some sporty looking cars outside by the rehearsal venue, I think one was possibly Daves? Or JJs? Lt Kudu.
I remember there was a Citroen DS outside the industrial unit, which I presumed at the time was JJs, but now I think it might be more likely to have been Hugh's if it was anyone's. There's a white Range Rover, which might have been the one that Hugh said JJ borrowed from him when he lost his license and wouldn't give back. There's what looks like a Renault Espace and the front of a Ford Sierra - neither much of anything special on the face of it. There is a red Fiesta behind a couple of other cars, and I recall some mention in "No Mercy" that Jet had a Fiesta at one point.
Yes Jet had a fiesta with added lights, Jet certainly wasn't a car enthusiast like Dave and of course JJ prefers bikes, think JJ had a Porche and took out a few cars with it, think he has a Jeep Cherokee now, totally off thread but this all started with the questions about the video etc, and Dave loved his cars. Lt Kudu.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Greatkudu wrote:
droopsnoot wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 18:28
Yes Jet had a fiesta with added lights, Jet certainly wasn't a car enthusiast like Dave and of course JJ prefers bikes, think JJ had a Porche and took out a few cars with it, think he has a Jeep Cherokee now, totally off thread but this all started with the questions about the video etc, and Dave loved his cars. Lt Kudu.
This is like an Episode of Top Gear. Get back on thread otherwise I will set Mr Laurel on you!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 21:12 This is like an Episode of Top Gear. Get back on thread otherwise I will set Mr Laurel on you!!
Thread is on topic. Also:

https://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/ ... =2&t=23510
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

StanInBlack wrote:
Cells&Plasma wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 21:12 This is like an Episode of Top Gear. Get back on thread otherwise I will set Mr Laurel on you!!
Thread is on topic. Also:

https://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/ ... =2&t=23510
Great...I'm glad it was. Thanks for clarification Stan. Hopefully, I was not in Breach of Forum Etiquette in this Instance.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Cells&Plasma on 12 Jun 2021, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

When I saw JJ solo in Manchester he told the Porsche story and said that inspired Pawsher.
Copyright issues I expect!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh