And If You Should See Dave.....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

stuartinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: And If You Should See Dave.....

Post by stuartinblack »

Personally I think it's a great track only if it got airplay as we know its a grower would have done really well
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

stuartinblack wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 17:23 Personally I think it's a great track only if it got airplay as we know its a grower would have done really well
Maybe,i think it was a nice tribute from the boys for sure i like it a lot, would more airplay of helped push them up the charts? i'm not so sure that the Dave song would of in today's charts to be honest, if something might do better if its ever a singll.To be fairi think for veterans in today's music market they lead the way who still produce quality music which is fantastic, but i wouldn't expect anything to much for the band as official charts goes, even though they did very well in the rock charts to be fair, i just love the band for their music and what they do to be honest and i'm not bothered about any sort of chart postions nowdays those days are long gone for me in a nice way, i just want to hear NEW MATERAIL and can't wait until September.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I think it just deserved to be heard by the public. The Manics new one and Noel Gallagher's are getting loads of airplay and I think this song deserves it too. It's on a par with those songs imo.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 17:42
stuartinblack wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 17:23 Personally I think it's a great track only if it got airplay as we know its a grower would have done really well
Maybe,i think it was a nice tribute from the boys for sure i like it a lot, would more airplay of helped push them up the charts? i'm not so sure that the Dave song would of in today's charts to be honest, if something might do better if its ever a single.To be fairi think for veterans in today's music market they lead the way who still produce quality music which is fantastic, but i wouldn't expect anything to much for the band as official charts goes, even though they did very well in the rock charts to be fair, i just love the band for their music and what they do to be honest and i'm not bothered about any sort of chart postions nowdays those days are long gone for me in a nice way, i just want to hear NEW MATERAIL and can't wait until September.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

toilerinblack wrote:
toilerinblack wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 17:42
Maybe,i think it was a nice tribute from the boys for sure i like it a lot, would more airplay of helped push them up the charts? i'm not so sure that the Dave song would of in today's charts to be honest, if something might do better if its ever a single.To be fairi think for veterans in today's music market they lead the way who still produce quality music which is fantastic, but i wouldn't expect anything to much for the band as official charts goes, even though they did very well in the rock charts to be fair, i just love the band for their music and what they do to be honest and i'm not bothered about any sort of chart postions nowdays those days are long gone for me in a nice way, i just want to hear NEW MATERAIL and can't wait until September.
You have quoted your own Answer!! Again....lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

jason wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 18:24 I think it just deserved to be heard by the public. The Manics new one and Noel Gallagher's are getting loads of airplay and I think this song deserves it too. It's on a par with those songs imo.
oh god for sure they deserve it your right and considering its a tribute to Dave as well that was well covered by the media at the time you would of thought that this would of got more aiplay and support, i think its a bit poor to be honest but hey f..k em if they dont wanna play one of the best british new wave bands from the '70s-'80s. I just don't get it to be honest reminds me of when they first started out all those decades ago with no real media support back then....some things never change.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 15 Jun 2021, 19:49, edited 2 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 19:43
toilerinblack wrote:[quote=toilerinblack post_id=472250 time=1623775365 user_id=1874
I know slip of the finger again....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

jason wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 18:24 I think it just deserved to be heard by the public. The Manics new one and Noel Gallagher's are getting loads of airplay and I think this song deserves it too. It's on a par with those songs imo.
Although I don't like the song, given that it's every bit as anachronistic as anything Noel Gallagher churns out, you have a point. However, NG does have a well oiled and well funded marketing machine behind him - and people still love the aural effluent he produces for some reason.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

It's pointless comparing them to Gallagher and the Manics. They've both remained consistently popular since the 90s, have a large following and presumably good record contracts.

They are best looking at how Gary Numan managed to get so much press attention.

Post by 8088 »

Yanders wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 21:21 It's pointless comparing them to Gallagher and the Manics. They've both remained consistently popular since the 90s, have a large following and presumably good record contracts.

They are best looking at how Gary Numan managed to get so much press attention.
I think with Gary Numan he had the benefit of being a cultural phenomenon and was hugely successful based on himself as being the brand image (note how quickly Tubeway Army disappeared.)

Although commerical success faded away, he still has that cultural cache that has seen his records sampled and regenerated by new musicians over the years and even if his music has transformed into a different genre now, he is still the same brand image that was there in the beginning.

There's just no way you could say that for The Stranglers.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Well, the Manic Street Preachers and Noel Gallagher are far younger artists than The Stranglers, even bearing in mind that the Manics' debut is 29 years old and Oasis' debut is 27 years old. The average 21 year old listening to either artists' debut albums at the time of release will be approaching 50 now. The Stranglers are antiques by comparison. Impressively, the Manic Street Preachers are still making great music, and Noel Gallagher is at least attempting to branch out and do something different (for him) and somehow managing to take his audience with him. Will The Stranglers new LP be on a par with the recent stuff of either of these artists? It's a case of "wait and see", but I reckon it won't be.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 21:21 They are best looking at how Gary Numan managed to get so much press attention.
He had a small but fiercely loyal fanbase that just about sustained him throughout his lean years (which were roughly from 1984's Berserker up to 1992's Machine & Soul, which even Numan himself considers his low point), when he was actively trying to chase chart success but not getting anywhere.

Since 1994's Sacrifice, he essentially changed his attitude towards making music and decided to just please himself, and gradually since then he's managed to gain new - and younger - fans, bring some old lapsed fans back into the fold while at the same time pleasing the hardcore fans that have never left, and his credibility gradually returned. It's easy to forget these days, but for a few years he was seen as a bit of a joke - and understandably so, since he was making some really crap music for a while.