And If You Should See Dave.....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

angelfromoutside
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: And If You Should See Dave.....

Post by angelfromoutside »

The main thing hampering The Stranglers from achieving any more sales or credibility or acknowledgement of their achievements - than they do currently - is the mishandling of their legacy

Everyone has a different take on whether or not HAC scuppered the movie, but he would be a fool to be preventing the original line up's albums to be readily available

Vinyl copies of the first four studio albums (five for me) should be available on the high street just like every single LP made by their peers is, and has been for years

All are constantly remodelled and repackaged and all of the other bands of that period regularly crop up in documentaries and movies

They do not have a promotional machine behind them maintaining their legacy like - for instance The Jam - and that's why, once the fans fade away, they will be a footnote in history as the physical product just isn't out there

The interest is there, the fanbase is there, but the goods aren't

You may all like the fact that the Stranglers were the outsiders in the whole thing, but eventually they are only preaching to the converted - and they potentially stand to get forgotten about in the long run

Read the below the line comments on The Guardian online article about Dave and the band by Alexis Petridis from May 5th 2020 - and deny you get a real buzz reading what actual fans of the band say about them, people who were there from the start who appreciate the material - that's the same buzz you would get if you walked into your local record store and saw Rattus / NMH / B&W / The Raven in the racks alongside London Calling

JJ is either totally oblivious to the potential of curating their legacy that he is so proud of, or somewhere there are a few enormous wranglings that prevent this happening

But if there is - why was that cd boxset released not so long ago? There can't be any copyright issues or whatever - or that couldn't have surfaced

Grinds my gears when he complains about some perceived lack of credit for their output, when it's impossible for the man in the street to just casually pick up a copy of Rattus, but would have no problem with The Clash, Parallel Lines. Bollocks , In The City , Damned Damned Damned, Another Music In a Different Kitchen , The Scream the list goes on and on

There will be a boom of sorts in interest in them with the new album, it will be JJ doing the media rounds, but does the rift with HAC cut so deep that both of them are preventing this as well as the completion of the movie - yet another thing that all of their peers have representation through
zontar
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by zontar »

A sobering thought!
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

Its probably a marketing decision by someone not to have the first few albums in stores so they can sell revamped editions directly.

It probably makes little difference to hugh, because he get the same royalties no matter where they are sold, but the current band will all make money as sellers.
angelfromoutside
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by angelfromoutside »

A marketing decision to sell a few hundred discs over a short period of time to people who in the majority, will have them already, rather than having them on general release across the country 52 weeks of the year?
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

Commissioning and selling LP directly mean they get all of the profits, that will be a sizable amount for each LP.

Selling them in stores and they'll get pennies for each LP. They'd have to sell far, far more in HMV to make anywhere like the profit.

Plus that way Baz makes money, doesn't he?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The Stranglers have struggled with numerous things over the years, but making their albums available to buy is certainly not one of them. Listening to music on vinyl isn't the primary way people consume music these days, anyway. I have no difficulty finding any of the classic line-up's albums on Spotify, and nor have I found it difficult to come across physical copies of The Stranglers' albums on either vinyl or CD for as long as I can remember, talking about "out in the wild" here, although things like eBay and Discogs do exist. None of the classic line-up's albums are in any way obscure. In fact, I find it harder to find certain Gary Numan albums from the period where he was putting out music on his own Numa label, so I think we can stop pretending that The Stranglers perceived status in 2021 has anything to do with lack of availability of their music.

The Stranglers have got about as big as they're ever going to get, and even critics that dislike them/their music acknowledge their existence. If The Stranglers aren't as successful in 2021 as they were in 1977 then that has everything to do with changing times, and perhaps the fact that the music they're making isn't as vital as it was in the first part of their career.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 15:53 The Stranglers have struggled with numerous things over the years, but making their albums available to buy is certainly not one of them. Listening to music on vinyl isn't the primary way people consume music these days, anyway. I have no difficulty finding any of the classic line-up's albums on Spotify, and nor have I found it difficult to come across physical copies of The Stranglers' albums on either vinyl or CD for as long as I can remember, talking about "out in the wild" here, although things like eBay and Discogs do exist. None of the classic line-up's albums are in any way obscure. In fact, I find it harder to find certain Gary Numan albums from the period where he was putting out music on his own Numa label, so I think we can stop pretending that The Stranglers perceived status in 2021 has anything to do with lack of availability of their music.

The Stranglers have got about as big as they're ever going to get, and even critics that dislike them/their music acknowledge their existence. If The Stranglers aren't as successful in 2021 as they were in 1977 then that has everything to do with changing times, and perhaps the fact that the music they're making isn't as vital as it was in the first part of their career.
Yep...spot on.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Track Chat for this song released Tuesday 17th August at 11am.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

droopsnoot wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 10:33 Track Chat for this song released Tuesday 17th August at 11am.
I'm looking forward to seeing what JJ has to say about this track, given the personal nature of it. There's quite a neat set of chord changes in this one, to be fair.
STEVEh

Post by STEVEh »

It will be an emotional one to watch.

I wonder if it may include the announcement of the new keyboard player too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

STEVEh wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 17:47 It will be an emotional one to watch.

I wonder if it may include the announcement of the new keyboard player too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was mentioned that this was a big one... so I think it's possible!
Let's Boogie
BasiltheBrush
Rats Rally

Post by BasiltheBrush »

I can't see why they would announce the new keyboard player before or over the top of the release of DARK MATTERS. That would make no sense given the album is Dave-centric (for want of a better expression)

It's far more likely to be announced shortly before the European tour kicks off......

Though I may be wrong of course.......
I HATE YOU MORE THAN RADIOACTIVITYYYYYYYYYYYYY!