And If You Should See Dave.....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: And If You Should See Dave.....

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 May 2021, 19:35
toilerinblack wrote: 22 May 2021, 14:16
sendwarrior wrote: 22 May 2021, 10:33
Glad you've changed your views 👍 And yes, they really do have a lot of respect for their fans, unlike far too many other bands we could mention!

I'm not ashamed to say they have changed my life for the better 🖤
Yes i will see how things unfold but for me the last few weeks have changed things after a year of silence which i did find frustrating as we all did as fans,but they seem to have done some really nice things and touches for Dave and their fans too and thanking their fans too on Rat Chat 6 was also nice to hear them saying that too...things are on the up and looking more positive now for the band and its fans after a very bad year.
We all need to support the band, and we know they appreciate the fans. I can't wait for the album, I keep playing the new song, just so fucking moving. Lt Kudu.
yeh i keep playing the dave song its a great tribute song to dave,i cant wait to hear a studio version of water and last man on the moon gotta feelin they are both going to be blinders especially man on the moon got a real feeling thats gonna be a very strong track on DM.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 22 May 2021, 20:47
toilerinblack wrote: 22 May 2021, 14:16
Yes i will see how things unfold but for me the last few weeks have changed things after a year of silence which i did find frustrating as we all did as fans,but they seem to have done some really nice things and touches for Dave and their fans too and thanking their fans too on Rat Chat 6 was also nice to hear them saying that too...things are on the up and looking more positive now for the band and its fans after a very bad year.
We all need to support the band, and we know they appreciate the fans. I can't wait for the album, I keep playing the new song, just so fucking moving. Lt Kudu.
yeh i keep playing the dave song its a great tribute song to dave,i cant wait to hear a studio version of water and last man on the moon gotta feelin they are both going to be blinders especially man on the moon got a real feeling thats gonna be a very strong track on DM.
Yes Sir and production is important to,i think on the evidence of the new single, Louie has done a great job, the single should be num one in main chart, but the Stranglers have never been flavour of the month, even when Hugh was in band, they have always been outsiders, the only time they had universal appeal was with GB, a career defining song. I love Water the song :smt005, and all the songs I heard on tour were very high quality,it could be a career defining album of the later years. Thank gawd for the Stranglers. Girlfriends come and go, or they do with me :smt005 but the Stranglers never let you down apart from the ill fated movie and that's not their fault? Lt Kudu on very strong wine, watching the euro vision song contest, and worst song so far is the disunited Kingdom entry, oh dear.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 May 2021, 21:29
toilerinblack wrote: 22 May 2021, 20:47

Yes Sir and production is important to,i think on the evidence of the new single, Louie has done a great job, the single should be num one in main chart, but the Stranglers have never been flavour of the month, even when Hugh was in band, they have always been outsiders, the only time they had universal appeal was with GB, a career defining song. I love Water the song :smt005, and all the songs I heard on tour were very high quality,it could be a career defining album of the later years. Thank gawd for the Stranglers. Girlfriends come and go, or they do with me :smt005 but the Stranglers never let you down apart from the ill fated movie and that's not their fault? Lt Kudu on very strong wine, watching the euro vision song contest, and worst song so far is the disunited Kingdom entry, oh dear.
You've said the one thing that really has stood out so far for me too on as much as i've heard from this album is the production sounds excellent how many times have we heard bad production from this band and that includes the days with hugh and with hugh the solo artist too.For me theres nothing worse than bad production its so frustrating especially if that bad production has good songs on it like hooverdam that just ruins the overall album.But yes, i agree i mean the dave song production is simply superb,i was listening to WIR the other day and we all know its not a great album material wise but i thought the production of a bad album was bloody good shame really.But yes you've picked up on a really positive point to this album so far and the quality of the material so far have been very good too which is why i've a feeling its gonna be a corker,but i could be wrong i do hope not.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 21 May 2021, 23:47 Yeah absolutely, I think this should be counted as the official chart personally.
Hmm. I don't, as I believe it doesn't represent the way the majority of people consume music. Much as I'd love a return to the days of the physical single and only physical sales counting towards the chart, those days are over. I can understand fans of an artist (of a certain vintage) wanting to gravitate towards whichever chart they're doing the best in, though.
Yanders wrote: 22 May 2021, 11:58 Steve Lamacq played it once. And plugged it again after playing an old song.

So I don't think it's about radio stations wanting nothing to do with the stranglers. It's maybe more to do with the song not fitting, or not being an obvious hit.
Well, it's definitely not an obvious hit, and I agree with the song not fitting anywhere. It's difficult for me to think of a radio station that would put this into regular rotation. Radio 1? No. Radio 2? More likely, but no. Radio 4? Fuck no. 6music? The most likely option, but even then I'm not surprised that they're not playing it regularly. Why play this when they could just play "No More Heroes" instead?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Well it's was num one in iTunes Rock chart for a time, so band are happy with that, I play the song at least 3times a day, still love it. Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I wonder if JJ will find it too hard to perform live. :smt010
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 23 May 2021, 09:19 I wonder if JJ will find it too hard to perform live. :smt010
???? Not technically but emotionally? Maybe. Lt Kudu, but he's also a professional so he may be able to perform it?
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 May 2021, 12:44
jason wrote: 23 May 2021, 09:19 I wonder if JJ will find it too hard to perform live. :smt010
???? Not technically but emotionally? Maybe. Lt Kudu, but he's also a professional so he may be able to perform it?
Yes emotionally. Bit like Hugh singing La Grande Dame I guess.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

Baz too, and Jim.. they were all close to Dave 😥 I don't expect to hear it live for a while, if ever.
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

Played in full on BBC local radio, selected regions

Stereo Underground 22 May 2021
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09gycl1

Nuclear Device
And If You Should See Dave...
Summer Dreamer
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Summer Dreamer »

Frederik wrote: 23 May 2021, 17:48 Played in full on BBC local radio, selected regions

Stereo Underground 22 May 2021
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09gycl1

Nuclear Device
And If You Should See Dave...
Thanks for the link.
Stranglers gig story @ 49:30
Nuclear Device @ 50:44
And If You Should See Dave @ 54:20
'Scaffolding pays good bread'
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 May 2021, 09:01 Well it's was num one in iTunes Rock chart for a time, so band are happy with that, I play the song at least 3times a day, still love it. Lt Kudu.
I do too daily great tribute track to Dave,could he sing it live?i just don't know is the answer and by the time next year comes in 2022 when they will gig hopefully it will be nearly two years on from Dave but its not about length of time its the emotion of it all and up on stage where Dave has always been their behind JJ for all of JJs live time with the band for over forty odd years and also singing it to the fans would be a real tough one,i just don't know is the answer to that and only JJ himself when it came to the touring time would know the answer to that one in what he can or cannot do and even though i'd love to hear it live would fully respect and understand it if they didnt.