And If You Should See Dave.....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: And If You Should See Dave.....

Post by Greatkudu »

Thanks Sir. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Cricklewood wrote: 15 May 2021, 22:18 Totally agree with you Stan. I think these days the sort of music that gets talked about by the general public are the ones that go viral on the internet or get pushed relentlessly by major corporations. I've also been discovering alot more music through the automated recommendations of Spotify/Youtube + various other means and I think most music lovers would rely on them nowadays without giving a single care about the charts
Yep, this is basically how a lot of people I know seek out new music these days. Not via the chart or the BRIT Awards or whatever's being pushed on what's left of the music channels on TV, but Spotify/Youtube recommendations (which keep tabs on what you listen to and recommend music based on what it is that you actually like), aggregation websites like Metacritic, sites like Last.fm and rateyourmusic and the multitude of music forums out there. There's really no need to pay attention to the chart anymore - and of course, one of the reasons why the chart looks the way it does is because everyone's music taste has fragmented as there's more choice than ever, and as a result you get very little consensus once you get beyond the big mainstream heavyweights that the industry is pushing because they're safe and reliable and of course generate income at a time when the industry is a much weaker force than it once was.
Mathew S
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Mathew S »

I guess it’s all a matter of how you define a successful piece of music. Chart position was once seen as a de facto league table to gauge a bands comparative worth and status. For us as fans a successful record should still be a record we love or like. Artistic success.

In terms of commercial success the pre-sales are very healthy for Dark Matters and we’re probably looking at at least top 10 on the release date. The next step is to reach out to a wider audience which is one of the reasons the Not Proper Band have moved to the O2 sized venues over the last year by drawing in more than just the more hardcore followers.

One interesting thing is that each version of the album in the bundles triggers an individual sale so the larger bundles with 2 vinyl albums, a CD and a cassette generate 4 sales.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I'm not really bothered about the single getting a high chart position. I'd just like it to be played on 6 Music, Absolute etc so the public can get the chance to actually hear it and decide for themselves!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Mathew S wrote: 16 May 2021, 07:40 I guess it’s all a matter of how you define a successful piece of music. Chart position was once seen as a de facto league table to gauge a bands comparative worth and status. For us as fans a successful record should still be a record we love or like. Artistic success.

In terms of commercial success the pre-sales are very healthy for Dark Matters and we’re probably looking at at least top 10 on the release date. The next step is to reach out to a wider audience which is one of the reasons the Not Proper Band have moved to the O2 sized venues over the last year by drawing in more than just the more hardcore followers.

One interesting thing is that each version of the album in the bundles triggers an individual sale so the larger bundles with 2 vinyl albums, a CD and a cassette generate 4 sales.
Totally agree, the single is a success artistically and emotionally, sadly the mainstream music is for water Flea and larvae and not Intelligent music aficionados like most people on here, but the band will be happy with the fact they have done Dave proud with a lovely tribute song,and album is going to be a blinder? I have faith. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

jason wrote: 16 May 2021, 08:23 I'm not really bothered about the single getting a high chart position. I'd just like it to be played on 6 Music, Absolute etc so the public can get the chance to actually hear it and decide for themselves!
Yes it would be good if they could get good station airplay.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 16 May 2021, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 16 May 2021, 14:22
jason wrote: 16 May 2021, 08:23 I'm not really bothered about the single getting a high chart position. I'd just like it to be played on 6 Music, Absolute etc so the public can get the chance to actually hear it and decide for themselves!
yeh agreed..thats exactly what they need that sort of airplay so the public can hear them and decide for themselves, to me whats more important is to be able to hear for myself a good album when its released with good music on it and if they do quite well in the charts thats a bonus.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 May 2021, 10:55
Mathew S wrote: 16 May 2021, 07:40 I guess it’s all a matter of how you define a successful piece of music. Chart position was once seen as a de facto league table to gauge a bands comparative worth and status. For us as fans a successful record should still be a record we love or like. Artistic success.

Totally agree, the single is a success artistically and emotionally, sadly the mainstream music is for water Flea and larvae and not Intelligent music aficionados like most people on here, but the band will be happy with the fact they have done Dave proud with a lovely tribute song,and album is going to be a blinder? I have faith. Lt Kudu.
Agree it is a success, artistically and emotionally but would of been nice for them to get a no.1 though after nearly 50 yrs in the biz!
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

midweek charts are out. No Stranglers to be seen anywhere. :(
https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/s ... rt-update/
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Peaches at nr 9 though

Ok, I'll get my coat
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

evonx wrote: 17 May 2021, 19:07 Peaches at nr 9 though

Ok, I'll get my coat
And Paradise is there too!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

To be fair they are No 2 in the iTunes "Top 40 Songs By Bands That Call Themselves The Stranglers" chart.

Jim
parasiteinblack wrote: 17 May 2021, 18:11 midweek charts are out. No Stranglers to be seen anywhere. :(
https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/s ... rt-update/
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"