DARK MATTERS!!!!!

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: DARK MATTERS!!!!!

Post by theraven1979 »

I think even the most casual of fan will agree the classic "Stranglers sound" is Hugh vocals, JJ bass at the very least.

Jim
sendwarrior wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 14:23
theraven1979 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 19:56 Obviously the stranglers sound is Hugh, Dave, JJ and Jet. Anything else is either something else or a poor replica.
A list of band members isn't a sound..

The 'proper' Stranglers wrote '5 Minutes' and 'Sweet Smell of Success' - two songs which are absolutely poles apart in terms of sound - so your personnel argument falls down right there.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Unless we're talking about manufactured boy bands, of course individuals make up the sound of a group. It'll change over time, but it's the individuals and how they interact who create it.

We can make up all sorts of reasons why the stranglers are basically ignored by the radio when the specials and the damned aren't, but a huge part of it is because the band isn't recognisable as the stranglers anymore.

They still can create good music, but it's a different group with a different sound.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 14:45 I think even the most casual of fan will agree the classic "Stranglers sound" is Hugh vocals, JJ bass at the very least.

Jim
theraven1979 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 19:56 Obviously the stranglers sound is Hugh, Dave, JJ and Jet. Anything else is either something else or a poor replica.

The 'proper' Stranglers wrote '5 Minutes' and 'Sweet Smell of Success' - two songs which are absolutely poles apart in terms of sound - so your personnel argument falls down right there.
For me it was the keyboards more so than Hugh's voice. As a fan basically since birth it was the keyboard sound from the first few albums which a young Parasiteinblack used to identify that the Stranglers were on in the car. Tank, Hanging Around and Heroes were early favourites...
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

parasiteinblack wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 16:35
theraven1979 wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 14:45 I think even the most casual of fan will agree the classic "Stranglers sound" is Hugh vocals, JJ bass at the very least.

Jim

For me it was the keyboards more so than Hugh's voice. As a fan basically since birth it was the keyboard sound from the first few albums which a young Parasiteinblack used to identify that the Stranglers were on in the car. Tank, Hanging Around and Heroes were early favourites...
To be fair it was the whole band that made the Stranglers sound, Jet just as important as the others IMHO, but of course Dave's keys were the icing on the cake, and Hughs Guitar to. And obviously JJs growling bass. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Exactly!

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 16:39
parasiteinblack wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 16:35

Jim

To be fair it was the whole band that made the Stranglers sound, Jet just as important as the others IMHO, but of course Dave's keys were the icing on the cake, and Hughs Guitar to. And obviously JJs growling bass. Lt Kudu.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

Yanders wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 15:29 We can make up all sorts of reasons why the stranglers are basically ignored by the radio when the specials and the damned aren't, but a huge part of it is because the band isn't recognisable as the stranglers anymore.
And how many original members are still in The Specials and The Damned? Again the personnel argument doesn't stack up!

The Damned have been through massive changes in personnel since their 2nd album, but have managed to retain a distinctive 'sound' - you always know it's them when you hear them.

The most recent Stranglers release, half the fans couldn't tell who was on vocals.. :(
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

sendwarrior wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 16:18
Yanders wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 15:29 We can make up all sorts of reasons why the stranglers are basically ignored by the radio when the specials and the damned aren't, but a huge part of it is because the band isn't recognisable as the stranglers anymore.
And how many original members are still in The Specials and The Damned? Again the personnel argument doesn't stack up!

The Damned have been through massive changes in personnel since their 2nd album, but have managed to retain a distinctive 'sound' - you always know it's them when you hear them.

The most recent Stranglers release, half the fans couldn't tell who was on vocals.. :(
The whole problem is when the Lead singer goes, it's very hard for the public to grasp, let alone Fans, if you look at the Damned Dave Vanian has been the only constant member apart from when they broke up a few times, could The Damned go on with Dave Vanian no? So how did the Stranglers survive without Hugh? It was a huge Struggle, but they worked their balls of by constant touring to build it up again,and of course they had JJ as second vocalist back in the day, and going back to a four piece with JJ singing his songs, encouraged people to go again live and the Specials still have Terry Hall on lead vocals although possibly there greatest song Ghost Town was sung by another band member Lynval? So that's the problem the Stranglers had after Hugh left, sorry to go over old ground. Lt Kudu.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

They still have their lead singers and more than one recognisable member. I know fans say it's only the bass and keys that makes the stranglers, but to most non fans and DJs?

There are loads of bands that have had line up changes that are still popular with fans but are ignored by the radio. Do the undertones and big country get any radio time?
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 17:31

The whole problem is when the Lead singer goes, it's very hard for the public to grasp, let alone Fans.
Personally I don't know anyone who knows who Hugh Cornwell is, apart from fans of the band.Or JJ either.Almost everyone has heard of the Stranglers but not so much the names and members.In my own experience.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Ruby wrote:
Greatkudu wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 17:31

The whole problem is when the Lead singer goes, it's very hard for the public to grasp, let alone Fans.
Personally I don't know anyone who knows who Hugh Cornwell is, apart from fans of the band.Or JJ either.Almost everyone has heard of the Stranglers but not so much the names and members.In my own experience.
Not just fans of the band, but I have found some people who are into music generally know who Hugh is and even JJ is. Those from that era or of a certain age that is, not younger people...
I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yes that's why the Stranglers still or did pack them out live, great live band but ask most of the audience who was in the band and alot wouldn't know or care as it's the name that drawers people in, maybe Hugh should call himself Hugh Cornwells Stranglers? :smt005 or maybe not, but Dark Matters has two originals in 8 songs, very few bands have even that of a certain age, due to death and falling out.Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 21:38 Yes that's why the Stranglers still or did pack them out live, great live band but ask most of the audience who was in the band and alot wouldn't know or care as it's the name that drawers people in, maybe Hugh should call himself Hugh Cornwells Stranglers?
The entire point of Hugh going solo was to establish an identity apart from The Stranglers. Given that there would be as many original members of The Stranglers in Hugh Cornwell's touring band as there are in whatever passes for The Stranglers at the moment, he could very well make a legal case for going out under The Stranglers' name. The point is, though, that he doesn't want to. As a fan, I don't want him to either - I'm more than satisfied with the catalogue of fabulous records he's released since leaving the band.