DARK MATTERS!!!!!

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: DARK MATTERS!!!!!

Post by STEVEh »

I saw something the other day, and now can't find it, but it indicated there was also a USA release.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

So Anger and Sisterhood didn't make the album. Were there any other tracks mentioned they were working on that didn't make the album?
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jason wrote:So Anger and Sisterhood didn't make the album. Were there any other tracks mentioned they were working on that didn't make the album?
No...but they have 159 Ideas..which equals half a Track.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

evonx wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:43 So there will be a French release too? So far it's just via the bands merchandise site.
He'll also will be promoting the French gigs I trust.

Vive le Burnel!
I expect (with absolutely no evidence to support such expectations) the band’s merchandise site is just for the pre-release, and the album will also get a wider release and full distribution.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

and the album will also get a wider release and full distribution.
Yes, must be of course
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

If people actually enjoy "Dark Matters" when they have it great, I see no reason to compare it to any other release at the time, If we did that we would have never bought Stranglers albums in past when they became more commercial, the Stranglers have carved their own path in the music industry, and if you like it fine,but if you don't move on, the Stranglers were only ever flavour of the month with the general public with GB, the other day a woman asked me "is Hugh Cornwell, still in the band"? No comment, but I couldn't give a monkeys about what other music is around when the album is released, I've ordered it and I did because I think it will be a very good album, not because I show blind allegiance. Lt Kudu 🇰🇪
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

As soon as they stick the name "The Stranglers" on an album then of course you're gonna compare it to other releases. Whilst you're not gonna compare "Dark Matters" to Black & White for example you're gonna probably compare to their last release to see how the band of progressed or changed their sound. It's only natural.

As for comparing it to other releases that are released in the same week/month or year etc then yeah I guess you'd probably wanna see how the band fit in to what similar bands are doing.

IMO it's part of the process you go through when listening to a new album. As natural as reading the sleeve notes, commenting on how the album artwork fits in with the back catalogue etc.

Also, "does it sound like The Stranglers"? is probably a question that will get asked. Well you can't answer that without considering their previous last few albums.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 11:12 Also, "does it sound like The Stranglers"? is probably a question that will get asked. Well you can't answer that without considering their previous last few albums.

Jim
Or rather does it sound like The Stranglers MkIV which it undoubtedly will.

To me, If Something's...was a promising return to mid 80s Stranglers song writing style but all the evidence is it's an isolated case.

The live previewed tracks are in keeping with the MkIV template which is ok but sounding repetitive now but that's what the Baz proponents love so they're unlikely to change the formula.

When you consider all the left field stuff JJ is (or was) a fan of, it's a shame he doesn't want to emulate that himself.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

8088 wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 11:42 When you consider all the left field stuff JJ is (or was) a fan of, it's a shame he doesn't want to emulate that himself.
That's what's frustrating me. I know jj has it in him to produce something other than soft rock, and I hope he does with at least a couple of tracks on dark maters. Announcing that The Lines is quirky doesn't make it so.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

And if you should see Dave certainly doesn't disappoint imo. It's a great song. Such a shame it didn't get the attention it deserved.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jason wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 00:32 And if you should see Dave certainly doesn't disappoint imo. It's a great song. Such a shame it didn't get the attention it deserved.
What sort of attention were you expecting it to get?
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 09:45
jason wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 00:32 And if you should see Dave certainly doesn't disappoint imo. It's a great song. Such a shame it didn't get the attention it deserved.
What sort of attention were you expecting it to get?
It would have been nice if 6 Music had played it more than once by Steve Lamacq. It's better than a lot of other stuff played on the radio.