DARK MATTERS!!!!!

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: DARK MATTERS!!!!!

Post by 8088 »

Jesus...just read it again - nothing but obsequious drivel.

Not a shred of insight into any of the songs in comparison to previous albums - just endless hyperbole.

Oh and is it called Dark Matters, Dark Matter or Dark Matter's - you'd have thought someone who rates it so highly would be sure?
TatRat
Down In The Sewer

Post by TatRat »

You may have noticed that I didnt comment!
Remember the old days when album would be released and you may have heard one track as the lead single? The anticipation of really looking forward to listening to the new album and over a period of time deciding whether it was good, average or bad. Regardless of the outcome I would spend hours listening and digesting the new songs and just enjoying that experience over weeks until it eventually settled. From what Ive seen a lot of people have already heard these new songs. Not just one or two but maybe eight in some form or another. Will that not ruin the new album experience. To combat that Ive not listened to a single snippet let along song. Whether the album turn out to be good, average or bad Im looking forward to hearing the whole thing for the first time and enjoying getting to know the album. Anyone else avoiding the songs?

Post by 8088 »

TatRat wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 11:24 You may have noticed that I didnt comment!
Remember the old days when album would be released and you may have heard one track as the lead single? The anticipation of really looking forward to listening to the new album and over a period of time deciding whether it was good, average or bad. Regardless of the outcome I would spend hours listening and digesting the new songs and just enjoying that experience over weeks until it eventually settled. From what Ive seen a lot of people have already heard these new songs. Not just one or two but maybe eight in some form or another. Will that not ruin the new album experience. To combat that Ive not listened to a single snippet let along song. Whether the album turn out to be good, average or bad Im looking forward to hearing the whole thing for the first time and enjoying getting to know the album. Anyone else avoiding the songs?
I don't have the internal discipline to not listen to anything that's put out there by the band - so I salute you on that achievement!

But from that perspective you, more than most, can probably say this review doesn't give anything away?

I too miss the old anticipation of new material, scanning the music press and the airwaves...alas, there's no going back now.
TatRat
Down In The Sewer

Post by TatRat »

Cheers! A little easier to avoid hearing this album than it is avoiding the football results before Match of The Day!
The review gives nothing away whatsoever and that suits me down to the ground. I do enjoy reading the online reviews though as they appear. And its complimentary to the band. Regardless of the drivel
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:48
Genuinely, The Stranglers couldn’t have brought out a better album than ‘Dark Matter’ and it could well be one of the finest things they’ve ever achieved.
That's a press release not a review. Never thought I'd say it, but I miss the NME reviews of old. At least you knew they'd listen to music.
You're basing the quality of music journalism in 2021 on a flimsy review on a webzine that hardly anyone reads?
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

StanInBlack wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 12:08
Yanders wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:48
Genuinely, The Stranglers couldn’t have brought out a better album than ‘Dark Matter’ and it could well be one of the finest things they’ve ever achieved.
That's a press release not a review. Never thought I'd say it, but I miss the NME reviews of old. At least you knew they'd listen to music.
You're basing the quality of music journalism in 2021 on a flimsy review on a webzine that hardly anyone reads?
No.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

TatRat wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:20 Not sure if anyone has seen this.

https://metalplanetmusic.com/2021/07/al ... rk-matter/
"Of course, being The Stranglers there’s never the scent of anything overly portentous or overblown and they’d probably blanch at the thought of some Jim Steinmanesque approach to the material."

That made me chuckle.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:40
Greatkudu wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:38 Wow let's not get to excited, possibly the most enthusiastic Stranglers album review ever apart from John Robbs reviews, it's looking positive though. Lt Kudu.
It's big on enthusiasm (and typos) but small on actual review - no detail whatsoever, reads more like an A & R handout.
Yes fair point, but isn't it positive to read something positive about an album we have high hopes for, of course the new album may be shit? :smt005 but it sounds from review that they have put Dave's keys high in the mix which is great, but my instincts are this will be an album that we can be proud of? As I keep saying wait and see, let's be positive. Lt Kudu on op champagne and Chocolate. 🥂
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

TatRat wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 11:24 Not just one or two but maybe eight in some form or another. Will that not ruin the new album experience. To combat that Ive not listened to a single snippet let along song. Whether the album turn out to be good, average or bad Im looking forward to hearing the whole thing for the first time and enjoying getting to know the album. Anyone else avoiding the songs?
Too many snippets for me too.Throw in the concert live versions and I feel I've almost heard the album already. I can't not listen to the previews.

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 14:08 Yes fair point, but isn't it positive to read something positive about an album we have high hopes for, of course the new album may be shit?
Well, in a review I wouldn't mind if they slaughtered it as long as they told me something about the album - which this one doesn't.
Unless we really believe what they say that it might be their best record ever!

It's not going to be a bad album - that much we know but a proper review might give us more insight. A fan for example would say how the studio tracks differ from the live takes we've all heard.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 15:23
Greatkudu wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 14:08 Yes fair point, but isn't it positive to read something positive about an album we have high hopes for, of course the new album may be shit?
Well, in a review I wouldn't mind if they slaughtered it as long as they told me something about the album - which this one doesn't.
Unless we really believe what they say that it might be their best record ever!

It's not going to be a bad album - that much we know but a proper review might give us more insight. A fan for example would say how the studio tracks differ from the live takes we've all heard.
Yes but you won't get a review from a fans perspective. Lt Kudu.

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 16:17 Yes but you won't get a review from a fans perspective. Lt Kudu.
Do you mean no reviewer is likely to be a fan or a fan can't give an impartial review?
If the latter, I totally disagree.