DARK MATTERS!!!!!

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: DARK MATTERS!!!!!

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 23:01 What are your thoughts on Adios (Tango)?
I don't rate it, and that's strictly in the context of their output while Baz has been in the band. I thought they were capable of better, and still think they're capable of better. That was the most frustrating thing about Giants for me. I believed that they had it in them to create another LP of the standard of Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI and make a run of decent late career LP's, but Giants put an end to that and Dark Matters feels to me - at this point - like it's going to be similar quality-wise.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 23:18
I don't rate it, and that's strictly in the context of their output while Baz has been in the band. I thought they were capable of better, and still think they're capable of better. That was the most frustrating thing about Giants for me. I believed that they had it in them to create another LP of the standard of Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI and make a run of decent late career LP's, but Giants put an end to that and Dark Matters feels to me - at this point - like it's going to be similar quality-wise.
I only listen to two tracks from Giants, this and Freedom.

I think it shows a spark of intention to move in a different direction - especially as the track is largely carried by Baz's McGeoch/Noko style guitar.

As with most MkIV stuff a 'name' producer could've teased more out of it - especially fixing the coda (which I like) and letting it flow instead of being a cut-n-shut add-on.
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

Giants was an okay album overall but a bit weary on the hard man rock schtick. It seems the bits of Dark Matters teased so far has been varied. I don't expect to like every single track of it but I do hope there'll be a few I'd come back to years later.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

8088 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 23:01
What are your thoughts on Adios (Tango)?
Plop.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 23:27
StanInBlack wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 23:18
I only listen to two tracks from Giants, this and Freedom.

I think it shows a spark of intention to move in a different direction - especially as the track is largely carried by Baz's McGeoch/Noko style guitar.

As with most MkIV stuff a 'name' producer could've teased more out of it - especially fixing the coda (which I like) and letting it flow instead of being a cut-n-shut add-on.
I must be the only person in the world who likes Giants, I think its a really good album, yes it could be better, but some great songs and varied rhythms. But I've never worried about being in the minority. Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I enjoyed Giants too. Not a perfect album but still very enjoyable.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

I join you in the minority who like 'Giants' 😊

Some cracking guitar playing from Baz, backed up by JJ's bass 🎶 🖤 😎
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
painter in black
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by painter in black »

I liked Giants too, (most of it)!
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Another Giants liker here. It does suffer from some weak lyrics, eg on Lowlands and 15 Steps.
But Freedom, Giants. TWOOMS are all strong tracks IMO.
I like Mercury too, even though the lyrics aren't good, but the music is.
Overall a decent album but not as good as either of the previous 2.
I Hate You !
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

I also rate Giants, some great tunes, still listen to it regularly and don’t skip a track.
If DM is as good I’ll be satisfied, but I’m hopeful for something better.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Bear Cage wrote:I also rate Giants, some great tunes, still listen to it regularly and don’t skip a track.
Well, again from what we've seen so far I would say that mostly all the songs on the new album will have meaningful lyrics, unlike Giants where some of the songs do not.

Other than that let's see. In terms of the instrumentation I thought Giants was very good throughout, so I doubt DM can improve on that, what with no Jet and lack of Dave on some of it. And probably other reasons too. We already know that one song is very short and quite minimalistic musically. And one other is a cover, which although I quite like the sound of it personally I don't think it's anything special.
Some will prefer the new album compared to the last one, others will not. For me I think I already know I will have mixed feelings..
I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 19:45
Bear Cage wrote:I also rate Giants, some great tunes, still listen to it regularly and don’t skip a track.
Well, again from what we've seen so far I would say that mostly all the songs on the new album will have meaningful lyrics, unlike Giants where some of the songs do not.

Other than that let's see. In terms of the instrumentation I thought Giants was very good throughout, so I doubt DM can improve on that, what with no Jet and lack of Dave on some of it. And probably other reasons too. We already know that one song is very short and quite minimalistic musically. And one other is a cover, which although I quite like the sound of it personally I don't think it's anything special.
Some will prefer the new album compared to the last one, others will not. For me I think I already know I will have mixed feelings..
Well there will probably be another snippet of a track this week, so my band sources say joking, but the ⏳ is counting down to the 10th September I hope we can be proud of this album as JJ and Co seem to be, but we've heard quite a few tracks live so hopefully it will live up to our expectations, but some will just not like It however good it is or not. Waiting for the Dark Matters. Lt Kudu.