DARK MATTERS!!!!!

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Re: DARK MATTERS!!!!!

Post by Josh »

If Dark Matters is inferior to Giants, I'll be slightly disappointed.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Josh wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 20:58 If Dark Matters is inferior to Giants, I'll be slightly disappointed.
I'm sure it won't be, but I liked Giants, some great songs and things they haven't done before, Freedom Insane is one of my Fave ever Stranglers songs, I love the Lyrics, the message, JJs music and some great keys from Dave and good solid drums by Jet and Baz doing the Stranglers surf guitar, why would anyone not think that is a great class song? Lt Kudu. The weakest track is Boom Boom IMHO but even that is okay, I love the ending with Jet finishing on the Tom's. :smt006
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Josh wrote:If Dark Matters is inferior to Giants, I'll be slightly disappointed.
It's all a matter of opinion of course but for me there are different levels, so it's difficult to just conclude that one album is better than another.

Eg themeninblack is musically superb, perhaps their very best?
But it's not got the best lyrics has it?
There are much better lyrics on many of their other albums, eg Aural & Dreamttime are far superior for song lyrics IMO.

So on Giants Jet's drumming is excellent on all songs IMO, even the ones with rubbish lyrics. How can the drumming be as good on DM?
I Hate You !
TatRat
Down In The Sewer

Post by TatRat »

The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

aldinblack wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 08:31 Eg themeninblack is musically superb, perhaps their very best?
Are you kidding? JLNOE is an astounding lyrical tour de force (and a feat in execution) - never mind the inventive track underneath it.

Besides, how are "best lyrics" decided - everyone has a different take?
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

So it's "equal to anything in those heady early days" then?

Looks like we're in for a treat!
I Hate You !
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

8088 wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 08:31 Eg themeninblack is musically superb, perhaps their very best?
Are you kidding? JLNOE is an astounding lyrical tour de force (and a feat in execution) - never mind the inventive track underneath it.

Besides, how are "best lyrics" decided - everyone has a different take?
Well I did say its all a matter of opinion didn't I?

The whole of themeninblack's lyrics inc JLNOE are about UFOs, ET life etc. There is nothing wrong with that and I love the album. But there are better song lyrics in their catalogue IMO.
I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

TatRat wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:20 Not sure if anyone has seen this.

https://metalplanetmusic.com/2021/07/al ... rk-matter/
Wow let's not get to excited, possibly the most enthusiastic Stranglers album review ever apart from John Robbs reviews, it's looking positive though. Lt Kudu.

Post by 8088 »

aldinblack wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:32 The whole of themeninblack's lyrics inc JLNOE are about UFOs, ET life etc. There is nothing wrong with that and I love the album. But there are better song lyrics in their catalogue IMO.
I guess you're talking about subject matter then?

I've never really considered it before - being put off by iffy lyrics, then again only In The Shadows springs to mind, other than that no howlers from MkI....everything after that, well - that's a different kettle of fish.

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:38 Wow let's not get to excited, possibly the most enthusiastic Stranglers album review ever apart from John Robbs reviews, it's looking positive though. Lt Kudu.
It's big on enthusiasm (and typos) but small on actual review - no detail whatsoever, reads more like an A & R handout.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

Genuinely, The Stranglers couldn’t have brought out a better album than ‘Dark Matter’ and it could well be one of the finest things they’ve ever achieved.
That's a press release not a review. Never thought I'd say it, but I miss the NME reviews of old. At least you knew they'd listen to music.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

TatRat wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:20 Not sure if anyone has seen this.

https://metalplanetmusic.com/2021/07/al ... rk-matter/
Dark Matters seems to be a very fine album reading this excerpt:

".... Genuinely, The Stranglers couldn’t have brought out a better album than ‘Dark Matter’ and it could well be one of the finest things they’ve ever achieved. It might be a long way through their ever-impressive career, but this is arguably their masterpiece, equal to anything in those heady early days. Dave Greenfield would have been proud and is doubtless looking down at his old friends and smiling. You can’t really get better than that."