DARK MATTERS!!!!!

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Re: DARK MATTERS!!!!!

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jason wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 09:45
jason wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 00:32 And if you should see Dave certainly doesn't disappoint imo. It's a great song. Such a shame it didn't get the attention it deserved.
What sort of attention were you expecting it to get?
It would have been nice if 6 Music had played it more than once by Steve Lamacq. It's better than a lot of other stuff played on the radio.
Don't think it made their Playlists. Shame really but maybe they'll be another push nearer the LP release. Anyone heard "Lines" on the Radio??

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I can't see Lines getting played if they didn't play Dave!
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jason wrote:I can't see Lines getting played if they didn't play Dave!
I think if they had returned with a Single that showcased their Classic Sound then it would have indeed seen some Airplay but the Band is a different Entity now I feel.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Yanders wrote:
8088 wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 11:42 When you consider all the left field stuff JJ is (or was) a fan of, it's a shame he doesn't want to emulate that himself.
That's what's frustrating me. I know jj has it in him to produce something other than soft rock, and I hope he does with at least a couple of tracks on dark maters. Announcing that The Lines is quirky doesn't make it so.
The message coming out of JJ recently is very much along the lines of "what's the point of pretending that you're like before..."

Is he saying that the new album doesn't really have any proper "rockers" on it?
There will be one or two "Stranglers sounding" tracks with bass & keyboard eh Water, but that's probably as far us it'll go..
I Hate You !
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

aldinblack wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 10:44 The message coming out of JJ recently is very much along the lines of "what's the point of pretending that you're like before..."
Many people seem to think that JJ should be exactly the same man as he was in 1977.. It's been 44 years since then, he's now 69 years old, a father and a grandfather. Of course he doesn't want to play like he did back then, he knows how ridiculous that would appear!

A quick glance at Rattus (and the other songs played around the time) shows that even then, the band were producng a highly diverse set of songs - yes some are more 'punk' or 'heavier', but you also have tracks like 'Goodbye Toulouse', 'Choosey Susie' and 'Hanging Around' - melodic and full of harmonies, 'Peaches' - a reggae inspired song, 'Down in the Sewer' - a 7.5 minute 4 part monster which defies classification, 'Go Buddy Go' - real boogie woogie rock 'n' roll, 'Princess of the Streets' - straightforward blues, and 'Peasant in the Big Shitty' - a swirling prog trip of a song!

So where is this "It doesn't sound like The Stranglers" coming from? You cannot define a 'Stranglers sound', that does not exist, so the complaint is utterly meaningless :smt102
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

sendwarrior wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 18:39 So where is this "It doesn't sound like The Stranglers" coming from? You cannot define a 'Stranglers sound', that does not exist, so the complaint is utterly meaningless :smt102
On the one hand, The Stranglers Sound is the unique marriage of the writing styles of Hugh And JJ - that's long gone for obvious reasons - though you have hints of that with anything JJ writes by himself.

On a superficial level, The Stranglers Sound is sinewy guitar, crunchy bass and swirling Hammond - that seems to be enough for most current fans and if that needed spelling out any clearer, that particular palette disappeared during the PR years and reappeared with Norfolk Coast - precisely when they achieved a degree of popularity again.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Obviously the stranglers sound is Hugh, Dave, JJ and Jet. Anything else is either something else or a poor replica. Would you say Hugh's band has the stranglers sound?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

sendwarrior wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 18:39
aldinblack wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 10:44 The message coming out of JJ recently is very much along the lines of "what's the point of pretending that you're like before..."
Many people seem to think that JJ should be exactly the same man as he was in 1977.. It's been 44 years since then, he's now 69 years old, a father and a grandfather. Of course he doesn't want to play like he did back then, he knows how ridiculous that would appear!

A quick glance at Rattus (and the other songs played around the time) shows that even then, the band were producng a highly diverse set of songs - yes some are more 'punk' or 'heavier', but you also have tracks like 'Goodbye Toulouse', 'Choosey Susie' and 'Hanging Around' - melodic and full of harmonies, 'Peaches' - a reggae inspired song, 'Down in the Sewer' - a 7.5 minute 4 part monster which defies classification, 'Go Buddy Go' - real boogie woogie rock 'n' roll, 'Princess of the Streets' - straightforward blues, and 'Peasant in the Big Shitty' - a swirling prog trip of a song!

So where is this "It doesn't sound like The Stranglers" coming from? You cannot define a 'Stranglers sound', that does not exist, so the complaint is utterly meaningless :smt102
I 100% agree you've summed it up in a nutshell.JJ the father and grandfather now who is a muture experianced musician is now going to reflect through his music in 2021 very differently from those hard edged days of the late '70s,apart from anything most good musicians have a very varied and wide taste in music itself and enjoy the difference in playing that too,its their job their living we would get board doing the same old job the same old way for 46 years and would want to do something different,the same thing i feel i think they get the buz to continue on experiementing and playing very different style songs.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 18 Jul 2021, 20:38, edited 4 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 19:56 Obviously the stranglers sound is Hugh, Dave, JJ and Jet. Anything else is either something else or a poor replica. Would you say Hugh's band has the stranglers sound?

Jim

No,but he has been the one who can still write that stranglers sounding song that's been missing since the he day he depaterd in 1990 which i feel the stranglers have not been able to replicate themselves since then, but have written some nice material in their own right,but Hugh can and has.When Hugh has had Keyboards at times he has had that sound again of old not as good as Dave for sure admitted,for me its the Hugh and Dave seperation that missing mix together they once had that gave that overall unmistakeable stranglers sound for me having now both been long term in two different camps.The stranglers have carried on without Hugh which is their missing link and Hugh hasnt had the keyboards of Dave that's his missing link,but then again Hugh has tried to get away from the stranglers sound anyway so that sound has been gone forever intentionally from Hugh anyway.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 19:56 Would you say Hugh's band has the stranglers sound?

Jim

Actually I would - not the superficial trimmings but the core songwriting - Duce Coochie Man for example was 100% classic Stranglers track.

It's ludicrous that people here are measuring JJ's emotional maturity with recorded output - do you really think he's just realised in 2021 he's not 23 anymore?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 19:56 Obviously the stranglers sound is Hugh, Dave, JJ and Jet. Anything else is either something else or a poor replica.
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. The Stranglers sound - the sound that everyone fell in love with - was the result of the combined talent and creativity of those particular individuals. The whole point of Hugh's solo career was to do something that was solely an expression of himself and apart from The Stranglers.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 20:53 Actually I would - not the superficial trimmings but the core songwriting - Duce Coochie Man for example was 100% classic Stranglers track.
I disagree. While Hugh Cornwell's songwriting voice and melodic sense will always be uniquely and unmistakeably his to the point where you could identify a link between his solo stuff and his Stranglers material, none of his solo records actually sound like The Stranglers. Those things you dismiss as "superficial trimmings" are actually quite important elements in establishing the distinction between the two.

I don't go into a Hugh Cornwell record expecting it or wanting it to sound like The Stranglers, and I'm fairly sure Hugh himself doesn't want it to sound like The Stranglers either.