DARK MATTERS!!!!!

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: DARK MATTERS!!!!!

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 May 2021, 11:14 This Song, should deff be on the album, it was great live and totally fits, who gives a f.ck that's it's a cover, they have Stranglerfied it. Lt Hardy Kudu.
Well, it hardly shows confidence in your original material to include a cover on your first album in almost a decade, does it? Particularly after the band have been bragging about how many ideas they've had on the go for many years. Besides, aside from "Walk On By", none of the covers they've released have really been remarkable. "96 Tears" and "All Day and All of the Night" are fine, but both inessential in the big scheme of things, and the less said about "Summer in the City" the better.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 May 2021, 12:21 Yes he must, didnt the Stranglers add another verse? A class song, and totally deserves to be on album, I haven't been so excited about a Stranglers album since the Hugh days, their is buzz about this album.

Yes,there does seem to be a buzz about it.Looking forward to it, more so than Giants which never inspired me at all after hearing some snippets, pre release. I still don't own a copy today.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 May 2021, 12:21
Ruby wrote: 06 May 2021, 11:37 Mathew must be thrilled.Who wouldn't be ? Having your song on a Stranglers album.
Yes he must, didnt the Stranglers add another verse? A class song, and totally deserves to be on album, I haven't been so excited about a Stranglers album since the Hugh days, their is buzz about this album, the really sad bit is, it probably gave the band the impetus to finish it in memory of Dave, so I see the album as special as its a farewell to Dave, and by all accounts the great man has left us with some lovely keyboards to enjoy, a shame he didn't get to see all the buzz around this forthcoming release, on the positive Dave had an amazing life doing what he loved doing. Lt Kudu.
I like that cover song and I’m sure it’ll be a cracking version but would prefer it if it wasn’t on the album. Perhaps it’s got something to do with the new keyboard player? Is it him? Did he write the song and that’s why it’s on the album?
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 06 May 2021, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:
Greatkudu wrote: 06 May 2021, 11:14 This Song, should deff be on the album, it was great live and totally fits, who gives a f.ck that's it's a cover, they have Stranglerfied it. Lt Hardy Kudu.
Well, it hardly shows confidence in your original material to include a cover on your first album in almost a decade, does it? Particularly after the band have been bragging about how many ideas they've had on the go for many years. Besides, aside from "Walk On By", none of the covers they've released have really been remarkable. "96 Tears" and "All Day and All of the Night" are fine, but both inessential in the big scheme of things, and the less said about "Summer in the City" the better.
agree about the 2 oldie covers. They were just meant to generate hits and they succeeded at that.

As for This Song. I think it's OK, providing its not taking up space for another one of their own which could've made the album.
I Hate You !
Red Eye Ray
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Red Eye Ray »

Regarding the cover song, I think it's for the pure and simple fact that Dave plays on this track and therefore has to be included on what is sadly his final outing. :smt023
AT THE END OF THE DAY.........ITS NIGHT!!
bigrubberglove
Rats Rally

Post by bigrubberglove »

I think This Song is terrific and am glad it’s on the album. Its inclusion does not indicate by definition a lack of confidence in their own material. And the record still has 10 originals. Let’s not forget that Walk on By is a staple in their set and classic for good reason. That said 96 Tears was a misstep.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Red Eye Ray wrote: 06 May 2021, 14:24 Regarding the cover song, I think it's for the pure and simple fact that Dave plays on this track and therefore has to be included on what is sadly his final outing. :smt023
Yeah, that's a good point actually - given that this is pretty much Dave's final recorded work, it can only be a good thing if the album contains as much of it as possible. Still, though...
bigrubberglove wrote: 06 May 2021, 14:25 Let’s not forget that Walk on By is a staple in their set and classic for good reason.
It is, but the two songs aren't remotely comparable quality-wise. Given that "Walk On By" is a Bacharach/David composition, how could they be!?
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

StanInBlack wrote: 06 May 2021, 14:27
Red Eye Ray wrote: 06 May 2021, 14:24 Regarding the cover song, I think it's for the pure and simple fact that Dave plays on this track and therefore has to be included on what is sadly his final outing. :smt023
Yeah, that's a good point actually - given that this is pretty much Dave's final recorded work, it can only be a good thing if the album contains as much of it as possible. Still, though...
There are further tracks recorded with Dave which are not on the album. I would have preferred This Song as a b-side or second track of a single from the album and instead 11 self composed tracks on the album (at least 8 with Dave).
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I like that cover song and I’m sure it’ll be a cracking version but would prefer it if it wasn’t on the album. Perhaps it’s got something to do with the new keyboard player? Is it him? Did he write the song and that’s why it’s on the album?
:smile:
Maybe it's not a cover, because it's been written by a strangler? Just involves a bit a time travel.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Well i really enjoyed this song live so glad it's on the album, the band obviously like it and that's good enough for me, as said, I think they added an extra verse? Lt kudu
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 06 May 2021, 10:37 Given how long it's taken them to make this record, I'd say it was more likely to be their swansong than not.
JJ was saying in the John Robb interview that he has renewed vigour.
Maybe, just maybe, they can squeeze something out in the next 2-3 years IF they feel comfortable with the material

I'm hopeful thos new album will be great. The single is very nice and the tracks Ihave heard from the live outings are good.
If it's somewhere round the S16 or NC level then I will be well chuffed!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
bigrubberglove
Rats Rally

Post by bigrubberglove »

StanInBlack wrote: 06 May 2021, 14:27
bigrubberglove wrote: 06 May 2021, 14:25 Let’s not forget that Walk on By is a staple in their set and classic for good reason.
It is, but the two songs aren't remotely comparable quality-wise. Given that "Walk On By" is a Bacharach/David composition, how could they be!?
To be fair, we haven’t even heard the Stranglers’ album version of This Song so judgment is arguably premature. Moreover, yes, Walk on By was a classic when covered. But who’s to say that the Stranglers cover won’t one day be a classic?