DARK MATTERS!!!!!

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: DARK MATTERS!!!!!

Post by jason »

bigrubberglove wrote: 06 May 2021, 14:25 I think This Song is terrific and am glad it’s on the album. Its inclusion does not indicate by definition a lack of confidence in their own material. And the record still has 10 originals. Let’s not forget that Walk on By is a staple in their set and classic for good reason. That said 96 Tears was a misstep.
I'd like to know the story of this song came about to be covered by the band. Maybe Matthew can explain?!!!
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

jason wrote: 06 May 2021, 18:39
I'd like to know the story of this song came about to be covered by the band. Maybe Matthew can explain?!!!
I think he did mention it on here.Something about his band using the same recording studio as the Stranglers in the west country and Louis Nicastro was impressed with the song.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

"My band The Disciples of Spess recorded This Song originally. It's full title is This Song Will Get Me Over You. I'm a long term Stranglers fan and a few years ago I emailed Sil the Stranglers manager and asked if they hired out their studio near Bath. After a few jokey emails we booked it and stayed overnight and recorded 3 songs. I met Louie there who works with the Stranglers and we've stayed in touch. He liked This Song which we recorded in Wakefield a few years later. (I live in Sheffield) and he rang me last year and asked me if The Stranglers could cover it.
I left it with Louie then and I didn't hear anything until I saw the video from the Dublin gig. I went to Scunthorpe and saw them do it there. It's all been a bit surreal to be honest"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 06 May 2021, 16:05 JJ was saying in the John Robb interview that he has renewed vigour.
Maybe, just maybe, they can squeeze something out in the next 2-3 years IF they feel comfortable with the material
Well, if they did put out another album after this it would have to be in a couple of years. I mean, JJ is 69 now and probably doesn't have another 10 years to make the next record. I'm just not convinced - after it's taken so long to put this record together - that that'll happen. If it does, I'll be pleasantly surprised but I'm not gonna hold my breath or anything.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

To be fair to Mr Burnel he did say if there's a gap similar to Giants then there probably won't be another

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 May 2021, 21:20 To be fair to Mr Burnel he did say if there's a gap similar to Giants then there probably won't be another

Jim
Exactly! Which is why I believe that this is more likely to be their swansong than not.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Well if it is their Swan Song? The feel is that it's a rather spiffing piece of work, But the great John Robb said that about Giants, which is a good album but flawed, but I think John Robb has possibly got it right this time,i think it will bring the band alot of praise from public and media, and I really admire them for finishing it with the tragic loss of DG, as I said I think it gave them a focus to finish it for the memory of the demon of the keyboards. Lt Kudu.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:
Red Eye Ray wrote: 06 May 2021, 14:24 Regarding the cover song, I think it's for the pure and simple fact that Dave plays on this track and therefore has to be included on what is sadly his final outing. :smt023
Yeah, that's a good point actually - given that this is pretty much Dave's final recorded work, it can only be a good thing if the album contains as much of it as possible. Still, though...
bigrubberglove wrote: 06 May 2021, 14:25 Let’s not forget that Walk on By is a staple in their set and classic for good reason.
It is, but the two songs aren't remotely comparable quality-wise. Given that "Walk On By" is a Bacharach/David composition, how could they be!?
Walk On By is a Stranglers masterpiece in its own right and imo none of their other covers, including this latest one, are comparable in any way.

But I get the point that we should now get as much of Dave's work as possible, so for that reason alone it needs to be on the album.

Unless of course there was another song omitted that they themselves wrote with Dave playing on it...
I Hate You !
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Greatkudu wrote:Well if it is their Swan Song? The feel is that it's a rather spiffing piece of work, But the great John Robb said that about Giants, which is a good album but flawed, but I think John Robb has possibly got it right this time,i think it will bring the band alot of praise from public and media, and I really admire them for finishing it with the tragic loss of DG, as I said I think it gave them a focus to finish it for the memory of the demon of the keyboards. Lt Kudu.
Yes I feel confident about this album. They seem to have thought it through properly and the obvious mistakes made on Giants will surely be avoided here.

It'll be completly fitting for these times and circumstances. It's not gonna be their best album though no way.
I Hate You !
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Ruby wrote: 06 May 2021, 18:54 "My band The Disciples of Spess recorded This Song originally. It's full title is This Song Will Get Me Over You. I'm a long term Stranglers fan and a few years ago I emailed Sil the Stranglers manager and asked if they hired out their studio near Bath. After a few jokey emails we booked it and stayed overnight and recorded 3 songs. I met Louie there who works with the Stranglers and we've stayed in touch. He liked This Song which we recorded in Wakefield a few years later. (I live in Sheffield) and he rang me last year and asked me if The Stranglers could cover it.
I left it with Louie then and I didn't hear anything until I saw the video from the Dublin gig. I went to Scunthorpe and saw them do it there. It's all been a bit surreal to be honest"
Thanks Ruby.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

If I buy this from the website would it be counted towards the album chart? I'm guessing not but the band would get more profit that way?
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

jason wrote: 08 May 2021, 19:52 If I buy this from the website would it be counted towards the album chart? I'm guessing not but the band would get more profit that way?
As far as I understand it: Yes it counts, it's the same site Sparks etc use and they've had two top ten albums in the past 4 years.
Also: yes the band probably get more money this way than they would from amazon/hmv etc.

It's win-win.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"