JJ & Hugh to do one off Stranglers tour?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: JJ & Hugh to do one off Stranglers tour?

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 May 2021, 19:30
BikerinBlack wrote: 01 May 2021, 19:21 Without Jet and Dave would it really be The Stranglers ?
No, it wouldn't.

It'd be great if JJ & Hugh made up and did an acoustic gig as a duo under their own names (rather than The Stranglers) where they played only Stranglers stuff from 1974-1990 (hits, rarities etc.), but the reality of it is that nobody would get even that. It's just not going to happen. Hugh would absolutely, categorically not want to do it.
I think you would have it about right i think with these two together,a Hugh/jj as the Stranglers full electric gig just would'nt work for me i think,that sort of a gig like the old days would just be a flop i think the energys gone,Hugh could'nt cut that now i feel,not that it would ever happen anyway, but a more laid back acoustic duo gig like what JJ & Baz have previously done in the past on stools or chairs could work, a duo acoustic night as Hugh & JJ doing the old mk1 stuff now that i would pay to see anyday of the week, but like we all know its...Dreamtime stuff nowdays lol
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

This periodic jj and Hugh should make up and play together thing is like the partner who can’t get over his ex leaving them I would imagine that at this time in their lives neither could really give a toss about the other and are content to occasionally moan about each other they will never play together again in any format and don’t forget what baz once said he would leave the stranglers if Hugh came back
ratty
Down In The Sewer

Post by ratty »

never say never, look at Slash and Axel, back after years of awesome arguments......
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

[/quote]
I think you would have it about right i think with these two together,a Hugh/jj as the Stranglers full electric gig just would'nt work for me i think,that sort of a gig like the old days would just be a flop i think the energys gone,Hugh could'nt cut that now i feel,not that it would ever happen anyway, but a more laid back acoustic duo gig like what JJ & Baz have previously done in the past on stools or chairs could work, a duo acoustic night as Hugh & JJ doing the old mk1 stuff now that i would pay to see anyday of the week, but like we all know its...Dreamtime stuff nowdays lol
[/quote]

Nonsense, Hugh's as fit as a whippet. If anything Burnel is the one who seems to slacken off mid-set and become all ploddy. Getting back with his old sparring partner could be the kick up the arse he needs...
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

ratty wrote: 02 May 2021, 10:46 never say never, look at Slash and Axel, back after years of awesome arguments......
Most likely motivated by a big wad of cash 😉 Same as for the Damned, who fully admitted it at last year's press conference!

JJ and Hugh are not motivated by money - they still wouldn't do it if you offered them millions 🙂👍
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

sendwarrior wrote: 02 May 2021, 12:26
ratty wrote: 02 May 2021, 10:46 never say never, look at Slash and Axel, back after years of awesome arguments......
Most likely motivated by a big wad of cash 😉 Same as for the Damned, who fully admitted it at last year's press conference!

JJ and Hugh are not motivated by money - they still wouldn't do it if you offered them millions 🙂👍
They have been offered to reform before i think and yes you should never say never agreed.Hugh does what he does and very well and the Stranglers do what they do and with now a new keyboard player too as well so thats how it is.For me apart from anything JJ is obviously close with Baz and seem to be very good friends,so i could'nt ever see him ever going back to playing with hugh again,but who knows its just a guess that they would'nt again, they do say never look back and all that even though we would all love what seems the impossible to actually happen one day.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 02 May 2021, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
BikerinBlack
Rats Rally

Post by BikerinBlack »

I think that without Dave and Jet they wouldn't get that much money offered now , but i accept its was never going to happen once the 95 chance went.
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

Never going to happen. Both JJ and Hugh are comfortable in their present environments and neither would be likely to concede ground.
However I also think both sides play on the rift in the same way the Gallagher’s do. Every album or tour that comes along it gets raised in interviews and makes the headline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 02 May 2021, 15:16
sendwarrior wrote: 02 May 2021, 12:26
🙂👍
[/quo
They have been offered to reform and yes you should never say never agreed.Hugh does what he does and very well and the Stranglers do what they do and with now a new keyboard player too as well so thats how it is.For me apart from anything JJ is obviously close with Baz and seems to be very good friends which is nice,so i could'nt ever see him ever going back to playing with hugh again,but who knows its just a guess that they would'nt again even though we would all love what seems the impossible to actually happen one day....you never know.
Hugh in Black
Rats Rally

Post by Hugh in Black »

Any harm to wish? No. Ever going to happen? No. About as likely to happen as Peter Hook re-joining New Order. Is it sad? Yes, given JJ and Hugh used to be so close. But friendships come and go. That's life, as Esther Rantzen used to say...
Hughie in Black
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

No need for this to happen really. JJ still seems enthusiastic about the Stranglers and Hugh is still releasing great albums. We've got two hopefully great albums to look forward to. 8)
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 03 May 2021, 08:27 No need for this to happen really. JJ still seems enthusiastic about the Stranglers and Hugh is still releasing great albums. We've got two hopefully great albums to look forward to. 8)
Yes we have, but me as a soft sensitive soul despite my un PC banter, would love to see them get on a stage together even for one song, but they aren't friends and don't need the money, I remember Baz telling me some years ago, that there was a huge offer on table for them to perform Rattus, and if that happened he would leave the band, I promise this is true, but JJ very loyal to Baz and they have a genuine warm friendship as well as band mates, so let's just remember them as they were, wish someone would release the rock city gig in 1980,a band caught at their very best live. Lt Kudu.