New JJ interview French site

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: New JJ interview French site

Post by Dom P »

Fredib wrote: 01 May 2021, 09:18
Dom P wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 23:30
Ruby wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 22:31
My initial reaction also. Lost in translation and misrepresented, apparently.
In JJ's defence, and I manage an inhouse translation team, you do not want to rely on machine translation. Real translation is actually transcreation, by a human, and a proper French-English translation would likely reveal a more nuanced and sympathetic delivery. It doesn't sound like JJ speaking...
I can assure that translation is very reliable of JJs words for this interview. nothing lost, nothing arranged. Cash.
Ok, I reread it.. but "argument" not "explanation" at least! :-) We also don't know how much the author edited out in transcription. Many sub clauses may have been edited for brevity, for example... if you transcribed the rat chats word for word you'd find a lot of waffle which changes the tone of what's being said.
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Fredib wrote: 01 May 2021, 09:18
Dom P wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 23:30
Ruby wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 22:31
My initial reaction also. Lost in translation and misrepresented, apparently.
In JJ's defence, and I manage an inhouse translation team, you do not want to rely on machine translation. Real translation is actually transcreation, by a human, and a proper French-English translation would likely reveal a more nuanced and sympathetic delivery. It doesn't sound like JJ speaking...
I can assure that translation is very reliable of JJs words for this interview. nothing lost, nothing arranged. Cash.
Well I was giving JJ the benefit of the doubt, but if translation is accurate, I'm not impressed by his comments about Dave, their is honesty, but if those remarks are going to offend alot of fans as Dave was so loved by fans, a bit more thought and subtley needed, I know this to well from some of my ill judged or misguided remarks. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote:The reality is that after around 15 years in the making this film still isn't released and after all the funding they're still way short of releasing it due to finance problems. And after ripping fans off they now resort to blaming Hugh. Sad really
Indeed. The thing is, they should have known that there was a possibility of a member or ex-member of the band vetoing the project when they started the project and started soliciting funding for it.

Hugh has the right to veto anything he believes to be substandard or doesn't represent the quality of his work, which is understandable given that the artistic output of The Stranglers from formation up until he left contained a large amount of his work - not to mention the amount of work he put in over all those years promoting and touring those records.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Hugh in Black wrote: 01 May 2021, 07:12 And it still irks him the band carried on without him and have thrived while his solo career, aside from being more fruitful in terms of new material in recent years, hasn't been on the same scale to his ex-band mates in terms of gigging.
I'm not convinced that he cares as much as you think he does. Yes, the band have carried on without him, however they've predominantly made a living from playing the hits - i.e. songs that contain a lot of Hugh's work, and Hugh actually gets paid for this. It's a revenue stream that goes towards him being artistically able to do whatever he wants, without having to please a record company or Stranglers fans. He makes whatever record he feels like, then looks for someone to put it out. He no longer has the millstone of The Stranglers' name around his neck, which of course is what he wanted.

At the end of the day, when it's all over and done, all that's left will be the records, and Hugh's work - to me - is as good as anything he did with The Stranglers. Can I imagine future generations being captivated by In the Night or Coup de Grace or Giants? No.
Hugh in Black
Rats Rally

Post by Hugh in Black »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 May 2021, 10:20
Hugh in Black wrote: 01 May 2021, 07:12 And it still irks him the band carried on without him and have thrived while his solo career, aside from being more fruitful in terms of new material in recent years, hasn't been on the same scale to his ex-band mates in terms of gigging.
I'm not convinced that he cares as much as you think he does. Yes, the band have carried on without him, however they've predominantly made a living from playing the hits - i.e. songs that contain a lot of Hugh's work, and Hugh actually gets paid for this. It's a revenue stream that goes towards him being artistically able to do whatever he wants, without having to please a record company or Stranglers fans. He makes whatever record he feels like, then looks for someone to put it out. He no longer has the millstone of The Stranglers' name around his neck, which of course is what he wanted.

At the end of the day, when it's all over and done, all that's left will be the records, and Hugh's work - to me - is as good as anything he did with The Stranglers. Can I imagine future generations being captivated by In the Night or Coup de Grace or Giants? No.
That's a fair point re: the revenue streams from his songs being played and the artistic freedom it allows him. Dunno. Some of the comments arrowed at his former bandmates have been a bit withering at times.

Don't get me wrong, I like Hugh's solo work and will always go to see him when opportunity knocks.

And I beg to differ re: "In the night". I think it's a fantastic album...
Hughie in Black
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Hugh in Black wrote: 01 May 2021, 10:28 That's a fair point re: the revenue streams from his songs being played and the artistic freedom it allows him. Dunno. Some of the comments arrowed at his former bandmates have been a bit withering at times.
As a fan, I personally think it would be great to see JJ and Hugh put their differences behind them, although I feel that some Stranglers fans thrive on the conflict between the two. I don't think it'll happen, though, as I feel it's something the fans want far more than they do. While it's fair to say that Hugh and JJ don't need to be in the same band together in order to get on, it's been a long time since Hugh and JJ were that close, and enough shit has been flung in both directions at this stage to make the possibility of them putting their differences aside even more remote.

It's sad, but the current situation isn't solely down to Hugh. At the end of the day, all Hugh wanted was a career change after working with the same people for years, which of course is fair enough.
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

"He is a disciple of Dave and he plays all keyboard parts perfectly well. Technically, I even think it's better!"

Would just take that as a fact, nothing more. PR was a technically better singer, & JE technically better on guitar.
Means no more than that.

Technically great players can be boring and lack any character.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Frederik wrote: 01 May 2021, 10:49 "He is a disciple of Dave and he plays all keyboard parts perfectly well. Technically, I even think it's better!"

Would just take that as a fact, nothing more. PR was a technically better singer, & JE technically better on guitar.
Means no more than that.

Technically great players can be boring and lack any character.
Totally agree, but Dave was a great technical player, so fuck me metaphorically, the new chap must be Eric Satie proportions, that's the bit of the interview that irks me. Dave was a brilliant musician end of. Lt Kudu m
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 May 2021, 10:07
theraven1979 wrote:The reality is that after around 15 years in the making this film still isn't released and after all the funding they're still way short of releasing it due to finance problems. And after ripping fans off they now resort to blaming Hugh. Sad really
Indeed. The thing is, they should have known that there was a possibility of a member or ex-member of the band vetoing the project when they started the project and started soliciting funding for it.

Hugh has the right to veto anything he believes to be substandard or doesn't represent the quality of his work
Nope! It hasn't taken anywhere near 15 years - don't make things up :roll:

As for continuing to blame the band for this - for the millionth time, this is an independent project by the director, it was not commissioned by the band or any individual members of the band. The band hold no rights to the movie (it belongs to the director's production company). Every band member and ex member was approached for their input in order to produce as balanced a view as possible.

The movie footage was mostly shot before the director got Pledge involved to aid the DVD release. The band had nothing to do with this, so you cannot say 'they' were 'ripping off fans'. At the time many creative artists were using Pledge as a platform to release their work and nobody knew it was going to go tits up like it did. The 'ripping off' is 100% Pledge's responsibility :smt012

Hugh is being obstructive for no good reason. The quiality of his work is not under discussion and bears no relevence to the movie release - the archive footage used has never been questioned by him. At the end it is the fans who lose out, and yes I (like JJ) do blame Hugh for that, as he could so easily allow this to be finished and ready with a nod. As for the remaining Stranglers, they generously bankrolled the London premiere in 2019 so that the fans at least got something - they didn't have to do that, but they did because they care about us 😊 Looking at the actions of everyone it's clear who has the fans' interests at heart.
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

Those of you who are getting offended by JJ are not French speakers or readers - the way things are expressed in French is very different to English, and the meanings do not always directly translate.

If any native or fluent French speakers would like to express their opinions on the interview it would be much more interesting 👍

Expressing your opinions on the computer translation only is Chinese whispers at best..
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

sendwarrior wrote: 01 May 2021, 11:58The 'ripping off' is 100% Pledge's responsibility :smt012
Well yes, this is what Jim was saying. This aspect of things has absolutely nothing to do with Hugh.
sendwarrior wrote:Hugh is being obstructive for no good reason.
Hugh has the right to veto any use of his work for any reason he pleases at any stage of the process, and it really isn't up for anyone else to decide whether it's a "good" reason or not. It's his work.
sendwarrior wrote: 01 May 2021, 12:03 Those of you who are getting offended by JJ are not French speakers or readers - the way things are expressed in French is very different to English, and the meanings do not always directly translate.

If any native or fluent French speakers would like to express their opinions on the interview it would be much more interesting 👍
An actual French speaker on this very thread has already confirmed that the translation is fine.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

sendwarrior wrote: 01 May 2021, 12:03 Those of you who are getting offended by JJ are not French speakers or readers - the way things are expressed in French is very different to English, and the meanings do not always directly translate.

Expressing your opinions on the computer translation only is Chinese whispers at best..
Now now no French whispers hear sir. Lt Kudu. :smt005