New JJ interview French site

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Fredib
Ugly
Ugly

New JJ interview French site

Post by Fredib »

French Blog : Exclusive JJ interview : new album planned this september, talks about Dave and his substitute who will play using Dave's equipment etc...

Let's talk a little about the new record: where are you? Is an outing possible this year? In parallel with the future tour?

No, I don't care. The record will be released in principle in September. Toured or not toured. We don't need that anymore. I'm going to England soon to finish his recording. I have to go see too to make videos. Otherwise I recorded here a title in French version "Down". But I'm going to review this title with Louie. I am not satisfied with my voice and pronunciation. This title will remain in French. Yesterday morning, I listened to the entire record in the sense that Louie had planned to place the titles. Finally, those that are mixed. It was the first time I listened to all the content of the album in this way.

This future post-Covid tour (I cross my fingers) will see Dave's replacement play on stage. The latter will have a big "pressure" on his shoulders but you too! Can you tell us about it? How will you understand this change?

Okay, listen, we'll see! He is a disciple of Dave and he plays all keyboard parts perfectly well. Technically, I even think it's better! There is a joke running in England about it: "Dave plays all the notes but not necessarily in the right order!" More seriously, no one will be able to replace Dave humanly. Like Jet, he is irreplaceable. But the "new" one that will play with us is really good. I spotted him a long time ago. He impressed me with his game.

Will he play with his equipment?

No, I want him to play with Dave's equipment. Then we'll see. If he stays with us, in the future, I will give him a little more freedom. But already, for the moment, I think we will be better on the "sonic" level. Afterwards, you know, we'll see what it looks like in "live".

Since we are talking about playing "live", can you confirm that the next tour will be the last? It bears its name well "Final Full UK tour"!!!

No, there is confusion. This is not the last tour! This will be the last in this "full" format. With so many dates over the same period. In fact, for three years, I had seen Dave decline. He was no longer in a position to provide so many concerts. However, we toured little compared to other bands that can go on a world tour for two years.
But now, seeing Dave plummet a little more every day, I thought we had to do otherwise. One evening, it was after the attack in Nice, I had an explanation with him. We had just played in a festival where there were plenty of French flags in the crowd! I evacuated the entire dressing room and we had "words". He drank too much and became difficult to manage. You know, you have to "manage" the human and I had to take care of it. After this explanation, he made efforts. He drank less. But we had to review our organization. I told him that we could shoot less and otherwise. Play whenever we wanted to etc.
But today, and I reassure you, the Stranglers will continue to play. I want it, I need it and I still want to be able to express myself artistically. And in addition, there is a public request so everything is ok for me.
After this period of crisis that is not over, we will see things better. The English are much less sceptical than the French, both for vaccination and about political decisions. Moreover, the English are really beginning to emerge from the health crisis. In France there is widespread mistrust, about vaccines but also with power.

I know that you are currently working on a biography project. Can you give us an update on this new project?

It's a big job indeed. I spend nearly two or even four hours in video per chapter with Anthony Boile and we only dealt with three! We work by theme and not necessarily chronologically. So it's not a traditional biography. I often quote the five themes that I like so much: the 5M. Namely music, martial arts, motorcycle, marijuana and masturbation!!! And Anthony has expanded these five themes to about ten. In any case, he works well because he prepares his files and questions very well. That changes from those journalists who always ask the same stupid questions. I also answer them: "I'm sorry, but I have paint that dries on the wall and I'll leave you! Otherwise for this book, it will also be necessary to find a good distribution abroad, especially in England or even in the United States. This requires good translators.

Ok, otherwise what happens to this film project about the group? It was broadcast once in England but could not be distributed on DVD for a wider audience. What is the problem?

No, there is no distribution problem. The problem lies in one name: Hugh! He blocks everything. Yet nothing wrong is said about him. Worse, he says not nice things about me! But I don't care and leave him in his corner. He buried himself enough. But on arrival, you can't release the film because of it. I don't want to argue but in the end, I think the success of the Stranglers makes him shit! Things didn't go as he hoped... It's a shame but that's how it is.
Last edited by Fredib on 29 Apr 2021, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: New JJ interview French site

Post by parasiteinblack »

Thanks for this Fred,
I'm surprised by quite a bit of that tbh, particularly about Hugh being the reason I'm still unable to watch this bloody film.
I'm a little surprised to hear of what seems to be an altercation with Dave too, although perhaps i've misunderstood due to the translation.
I don't see why JJ can't just name neo-Dave, it would just be nice to have an idea who's in the band these days.
Excited to hear album in September then!
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Thanks for that, but it seems to raise more questions than it answers, the altercation with Dave and it seems in rather bad taste, JJ more or less saying the keyboards are better technically with the replacement player, maybe it's the translation, I'm not sure of what to make of this, only certain Is we know when they plan to release the new album, JJ has really stirred up a hornets nest with this interview, doesnt seen much warmth about Dave. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 19:16 Thanks for that, but it seems to raise more questions than it answers, the altercation with Dave and it seems in rather bad taste, JJ more or less saying the keyboards are better technically with the replacement player, maybe it's the translation, I'm not sure of what to make of this, only certain Is we know when they plan to release the new album, JJ has really stirred up a hornets nest with this interview, doesnt seen much warmth about Dave. Lt Kudu.
just read it too, on the positive front the albums details is good news,thats all im now waiting for now is to hear Daves last work.Moving forwards sounds very good long term for those who will continue on with the new band and support them,i wish the band and its fans all the very best moving forwards with this new bands future gigs and hope it all works out for them and the fans enjoy what they hear and see.I think i will just get their last album with Dave on it and that will do me fine.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 29 Apr 2021, 20:01, edited 14 times in total.
Fredib
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Fredib »

Translation is fine for me. Google translation but yes translation is ok.

https://stranglers-france.blogspot.com/
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Wow! Poor old Dave. JJ has a point though, Dave did seem to drink a lot. But he was a lovable drinker for sure, not a horrible one.

I wouldn't call it an "altercation", but I know for a fact that it did bug JJ a bit. So how do I know that ?

Well JJ told me once when I met him. Not directly but in so many words..
Perhaps JJ is somebody that has high standards, and can find it difficult when other people don't or can't quite meet them. I mean he used to refer to Jet as a pig at times didn't he.? But JJ loves Dave, that is obvious.

Ah well Stranglers mk5 it is then...
I Hate You !
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Merci beaucoup , an interesting read.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Thanks Fred. I guess it's a tad harsh but I kinda agree with JJ about Dave's replacement. If he's good then they might sound better live than they have done for a while. JJ mentions the booze affecting Dave but then maybe Dave was numbing the pain a bit? As for the Hugh comment will that's typical JJ

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Wow thanks Fred. Very interesting. Quite a lot to take in and think about in this interview.
:smt006
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 29 Apr 2021, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 19:48 Thanks Fred. I guess it's a tad harsh but I kinda agree with JJ about Dave's replacement. If he's good then they might sound better live than they have done for a while. JJ mentions the booze affecting Dave but then maybe Dave was numbing the pain a bit? As for the Hugh comment will that's typical JJ

Jim

Well I know in last few years, Dave had reduced his drinking on stage and I know he was in pain with athiritis, but it's not really what fans want to hear, Dave may have played the odd bum note, but just his presence gave the band a bit of credibility, at least we know the album release date sort of and know they plan to continue playing live, for me it's going to my planned Reading date and going from their, to be honest I'm more excited about seeing Hugh if I can get away with my current situation. Lt Kudu.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Greatkudu wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 20:04
theraven1979 wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 19:48 Thanks Fred. I guess it's a tad harsh but I kinda agree with JJ about Dave's replacement. If he's good then they might sound better live than they have done for a while. JJ mentions the booze affecting Dave but then maybe Dave was numbing the pain a bit? As for the Hugh comment will that's typical JJ

Jim

Well I know in last few years, Dave had reduced his drinking on stage and I know he was in pain with athiritis, but it's not really what fans want to hear, Dave may have played the odd bum note, but just his presence gave the band a bit of credibility, at least we know the album release date sort of and know they plan to continue playing live, for me it's going to my planned Reading date and going from their, to be honest I'm more excited about seeing Hugh if I can get away with my current situation. Lt Kudu.
I loved Dave’s bum notes! especially in the 80’s with Hugh when they all would fuck up occasionally, it was just so funny and made us love em even more.
:smile:
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Some statements from JJ about Dave which we couldn't expect, :shock: Dave's replacement brings in a fuller sound... really?
Hugh is still the persona non grata, but there are doubts that this is the complete truth.
The whole interview - see link on Fred's post - includes some other interesting parts. JJ obviously has recently written further songs...