New JJ interview French site

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Re: New JJ interview French site

Post by sendwarrior »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 May 2021, 12:14 An actual French speaker on this very thread has already confirmed that the translation is fine.
Technically it is fairly accurate, but it misses the nuances and the cultural differences in expression.
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 May 2021, 12:14 Hugh has the right to veto any use of his work for any reason he pleases at any stage of the process, and it really isn't up for anyone else to decide whether it's a "good" reason or not. It's his work.
As I said, he didn't have any problems with the archive footage used in the movie at any stage previously. Why would he have a problem with it now?

He has never indicated that this is an issue and it certainly hasn't been stated as the reason for his recent actions - he's given no reason at all. That is why it seems to petty and unfair to the fans :(
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

It appears that the makers made a film without the rights to footage they wanted to use. If that's the real reason, its doesn't seem an insurmountable problem - just don't include the footage.

Unless the film is really just padding around this footage?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Like I said earlier though without the footage it's just the JJ and Baz show. It's all outdated now anyway. A lot of the subject matter in the film was around the end of the band obviously that has all changed now.

Does anyone know how long David Boni was following "The Stranglers" around gaining tour footage and interviews for the film? For me I think 15 years was a fair estimate. I know it was put on ice for a few years.

Imagine say a director starts following Hugh around 5 years ago to piece together a film on the Stranglers. After 5 years following Hugh and interviewing him he then approaches JJ (I guess we have to add extra weight to the matter here and assume JJ is the main singer/songwriter of The Stranglers). I imagine JJ wouldn't get involved and would also (as he's done in the past) block any attempt for Hugh to release it.

Jim

Yanders wrote: 01 May 2021, 12:48 It appears that the makers made a film without the rights to footage they wanted to use. If that's the real reason, its doesn't seem an insurmountable problem - just don't include the footage.

Unless the film is really just padding around this footage?
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Hugh left 31 years ago but his shadow still hangs over the band, but always two sides to every story or even three. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

sendwarrior wrote: 01 May 2021, 12:39 As I said, he didn't have any problems with the archive footage used in the movie at any stage previously. Why would he have a problem with it now?

He has never indicated that this is an issue and it certainly hasn't been stated as the reason for his recent actions - he's given no reason at all.
I'm sure he has his reasons - sometimes it's not merely a question of music/archive footage/interview footage per se./in and of itself, and more a question of how that work is used and/or what context that work is used in.

Hugh probably hasn't went public with his reasons for vetoing anything because he likely feels he doesn't owe anyone an explanation. Bands/artists veto things more often that you'd think, just most of the time you never get to hear about it.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 01 May 2021, 09:05 there's obviously still communication issues between Hugh & JJ. I had to laugh though at "he's buried himself enough"

Looking forward to Hugh"s response soon Image

The new player will use Dave's equipment at first. In other words he's being "phased in" gradually. That's a very respectful way to do it I think.

So JJ had words with Dave once about his excess drinking. Big deal...somebody had to. They were close friends after all..

JJ himself is a bit of a "health freak" so can have high expectations of others ?

JJ and Dave agreed to scale down the touring so it would be easier for Dave to keep going. Sadly that never transpired anyway..

A bit blunt in places, but no real issues I think..
Yep, I’m just impressed that JJ (69yr old) can do 70 push-ups or 250 sit-ups!
Still a hero, still inspiring us fans.
8)
Pretty amazing tbh. 1 press up for every year of his age !

If I practice for a few months I might be able to manage 20, closer to a 3rd of my age. How inadequate !
I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 01 May 2021, 18:22
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 01 May 2021, 09:05 there's obviously still communication issues between Hugh & JJ. I had to laugh though at "he's buried himself enough"

Looking forward to Hugh"s response soon Image

The new player will use Dave's equipment at first. In other words he's being "phased in" gradually. That's a very respectful way to do it I think.

So JJ had words with Dave once about his excess drinking. Big deal...somebody had to. They were close friends after all..

JJ himself is a bit of a "health freak" so can have high expectations of others ?

JJ and Dave agreed to scale down the touring so it would be easier for Dave to keep going. Sadly that never transpired anyway..

A bit blunt in places, but no real issues I think..
Yep, I’m just impressed that JJ (69yr old) can do 70 push-ups or 250 sit-ups!
Still a hero, still inspiring us fans.
8)
Pretty amazing tbh. 1 press up for every year of his age !

If I practice for a few months I might be able to manage 20, closer to a 3rd of my age. How inadequate !
Maybe we should have a new thread, how many press ups can you do without stopping? JJ didn't say if he does 70 all in one go? But he probably does, fucking impressed I have to say. I used to be able to do 100 without stopping but my back is fucked now so I don't do any, but last time I tried a few weeks ago I managed 50 without stopping. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 May 2021, 10:45
Hugh in Black wrote: 01 May 2021, 10:28 That's a fair point re: the revenue streams from his songs being played and the artistic freedom it allows him. Dunno. Some of the comments arrowed at his former bandmates have been a bit withering at times.
As a fan, I personally think it would be great to see JJ and Hugh put their differences behind them, although I feel that some Stranglers fans thrive on the conflict between the two. I don't think it'll happen, though, as I feel it's something the fans want far more than they do. While it's fair to say that Hugh and JJ don't need to be in the same band together in order to get on, it's been a long time since Hugh and JJ were that close, and enough shit has been flung in both directions at this stage to make the possibility of them putting their differences aside even more remote.

It's sad, but the current situation isn't solely down to Hugh. At the end of the day, all Hugh wanted was a career change after working with the same people for years, which of course is fair enough.
Hugh & JJ ever playing together again? well firstly we allnow that it would never happen in the first place but if it ever then i ttink it would be a mistake personally,I'd rather remember them as they were in their peak together.They could never reproduce that again now its to long in the grass for all that now.I'd love to see them together again but on stage i would'nt think it would work their energy that was once their has gone,JJ could still cut it i think but Hugh no.Lets remember this dynamic duo they once were that i think was still their on their last time together at the alley maybe not as much as it once was but never the less they still had it and were still both bloody good.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Greatkudu wrote: 01 May 2021, 09:44
Fredib wrote: 01 May 2021, 09:18
Dom P wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 23:30

In JJ's defence, and I manage an inhouse translation team, you do not want to rely on machine translation. Real translation is actually transcreation, by a human, and a proper French-English translation would likely reveal a more nuanced and sympathetic delivery. It doesn't sound like JJ speaking...
I can assure that translation is very reliable of JJs words for this interview. nothing lost, nothing arranged. Cash.
Well I was giving JJ the benefit of the doubt, but if translation is accurate, I'm not impressed by his comments about Dave, their is honesty, but if those remarks are going to offend alot of fans as Dave was so loved by fans, a bit more thought and subtley needed, I know this to well from some of my ill judged or misguided remarks. Lt Kudu.
Mista Kudu, Do you still think that?
Watch the Rat Chat again and you can clearly see JJ upset and welling up over Dave’s passing, I’ve never seen him like that before but proper honest decent & genuinely tough men do cry.
Tom
Rats Rally

Post by Tom »

Possibly some parts lost in translation, but possibly not - JJ always had a bit of a 'bitching' side about him.

Have to say that Water excerpt on Facebook really perked my interest, it sounds awesome and has to be Dave's playing surely.

If the studio record doesn't feature Dave at least in part it'll be a huge disappointment. I know Hugh left rather than got the sack, but he has a point now more than ever that it's really not what it was, even if it is still worth listening and watching despite this.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

Tom wrote: 03 May 2021, 16:48 If the studio record doesn't feature Dave at least in part it'll be a huge disappointment.
90% of the album will feature Dave's recordings 💖 You won't be disappointed!
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤