New JJ interview French site

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: New JJ interview French site

Post by Greatkudu »

And off thread, a fucking disgrace about the film and fans being ripped off, Sophie Ellis Bextor gave fans free stuff after Pledge went bust, the band should send everyone a free copy of the DVD who pledged, if it ever gets the go ahead, a cluster fuck of epic proportions. Lt Kudu angry in the suburbs.
Hazzainblack
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Hazzainblack »

hoping for news about a single release maybe to coincide with the anniversary of Dave's passing on May 3rd
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 21:50 I've been thinking and I find JJs comments about Dave very tactless and in bad taste, I've lost a bit of respect for JJ at the moment, after JJs I'll judged comments, it's left a bad taste in my mouth.
My initial reaction also. Lost in translation and misrepresented, apparently.
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Ruby wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 22:31
Greatkudu wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 21:50 I've been thinking and I find JJs comments about Dave very tactless and in bad taste, I've lost a bit of respect for JJ at the moment, after JJs I'll judged comments, it's left a bad taste in my mouth.
In JJ's defence, and I manage an inhouse translation team, you do not want to rely on machine translation. Real translation is actually transcreation, by a human, and a proper French-English translation would likely reveal a more nuanced and sympathetic delivery. It doesn't sound like JJ speaking...
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Ruby wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 11:49 Not quite sure I actually 'enjoyed' reading it.One or two cold comments which seem a little inappropriate for public airing, to me.What's the bit about using Dave's equipment ? Surely he means the 'same' but not 'actual' equipment that Dave owned.
i was wondering if the original question (altered in translation) was something along the lines of 'Will he play the parts exactly like Dave?'.

To which JJ replied (paraphrasing) "Yes, for now. I might consider allowing him some freedom later".

I don't really see why equipment should come into it. The new guy should be able to use whatever he feels most comfortable with. There are modern Sequential-Oberheims out there, much more reliable than the ones Dave had in the 80s. If it does refer to equipment then I suspect it does imply the exact equipment that Dave used.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Dom P wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 23:30
In JJ's defence, and I manage an inhouse translation team, you do not want to rely on machine translation. Real translation is actually transcreation, by a human, and a proper French-English translation would likely reveal a more nuanced and sympathetic delivery. It doesn't sound like JJ speaking...
Maybe? There were translation issues? But alot of fans would be upset by JJs comments, hopefully the translation made them sound harsher than what he actually said. Lt Kudu.
Hugh in Black
Rats Rally

Post by Hugh in Black »

I think too many people are reading too much into things here, slightly lost in translation or not. And being a bit precious about things as well. Does anyone really doubt that JJ didn't think the world of Dave, for one moment? And his comment about Hugh is fully understandable too. He's an awkward and cantankerous old b@stard. And it still irks him the band carried on without him and have thrived while his solo career, aside from being more fruitful in terms of new material in recent years, hasn't been on the same scale to his ex-band mates in terms of gigging.
Hughie in Black
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Hugh in Black wrote: 01 May 2021, 07:12 And his comment about Hugh is fully understandable too. He's an awkward and cantankerous old b@stard. And it still irks him the band carried on without him and have thrived while his solo career, aside from being more fruitful in terms of new material in recent years, hasn't been on the same scale to his ex-band mates in terms of gigging.
Oh dear, this won't go down well. :lol:
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Ruby wrote: 01 May 2021, 08:11
Hugh in Black wrote: 01 May 2021, 07:12 And his comment about Hugh is fully understandable too. He's an awkward and cantankerous old b@stard. And it still irks him the band carried on without him and have thrived while his solo career, aside from being more fruitful in terms of new material in recent years, hasn't been on the same scale to his ex-band mates in terms of gigging.
Oh dear, this won't go down well. :lol:
Quite :grin:
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

there's obviously still communication issues between Hugh & JJ. I had to laugh though at "he's buried himself enough"

Looking forward to Hugh"s response soon

The new player will use Dave's equipment at first. In other words he's being "phased in" gradually. That's a very respectful way to do it I think.

So JJ had words with Dave once about his excess drinking. Big deal...somebody had to. They were close friends after all..

JJ himself is a bit of a "health freak" so can have high expectations of others ?

JJ and Dave agreed to scale down the touring so it would be easier for Dave to keep going. Sadly that never transpired anyway..

A bit blunt in places, but no real issues I think..
I Hate You !
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

aldinblack wrote: 01 May 2021, 09:05 there's obviously still communication issues between Hugh & JJ. I had to laugh though at "he's buried himself enough"

Looking forward to Hugh"s response soon Image

The new player will use Dave's equipment at first. In other words he's being "phased in" gradually. That's a very respectful way to do it I think.

So JJ had words with Dave once about his excess drinking. Big deal...somebody had to. They were close friends after all..

JJ himself is a bit of a "health freak" so can have high expectations of others ?

JJ and Dave agreed to scale down the touring so it would be easier for Dave to keep going. Sadly that never transpired anyway..

A bit blunt in places, but no real issues I think..
Yep, I’m just impressed that JJ (69yr old) can do 70 push-ups or 250 sit-ups!
Still a hero, still inspiring us fans.
8)
Fredib
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Fredib »

Dom P wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 23:30
I can assure that translation is very reliable of JJs words for this interview. nothing lost, nothing arranged. Cash.