Best Of The "Baz"-Era Albums

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Best Baz Warne-era Stranglers album

Norfolk Coast
42%
Suite XVI
34%
Giants
24%

Total votes: 62

StanInBlack
Ugly
Ugly

Best Of The "Baz"-Era Albums

Post by StanInBlack » 11 Jun 2013, 00:45

Again, this should be interesting...

So, best Stranglers studio album that Baz Warne has been involved in (i.e. the post-Coup De Grace "resurgence" albums), whether just as a guitarist (as on Norfolk Coast), or taking over the vocal duties after Paul left (Suite XVI/Giants). I think this poll will be interesting, because unlike the MKII albums which seem to divide a lot of people very strongly, the MKIII/MKIV albums seem to have a fair amount of supporters each.

Josh
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Best Of The "Baz"-Era Albums

Post by Josh » 11 Jun 2013, 00:49

Norfolk Coast.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler » 11 Jun 2013, 05:57

Close between the first two for me . The last one isn't even close .
All quiet ..........

parasiteinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by parasiteinblack » 11 Jun 2013, 07:51

Norfolk Coast, then Suite, then Giants I reckon.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx » 11 Jun 2013, 10:57

1 Norfolk Coast - best by far, great come back album, good vocals!, only 2 songs that are filler imho

2 Giants - not brilliant but a couple of great JJ songs and a bit adventurous at times

3 Suite XIV - although Relentless is perhaps the best song on these 3 albums there is too much filler here that doesnt really interest me (Barbara, Soldiers Diary, See Me Coming, Bless You) that to me this is the weaket of the three.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came

StanInBlack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by StanInBlack » 11 Jun 2013, 11:43

'Bless You' isn't filler in my opinion! I love the way it switches between sections and the guitar work throughout, that little Dave keyboard bit in the middle. I love 'Barbara' too... has not one, but two choruses that song, and a memorable middle eight! The only song on Suite XVI I consider to be filler is 'See Me Coming', and that's because it actually was! :lol:

Josh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Josh » 11 Jun 2013, 13:08

Bless You is complete tripe, and Barbara is average at best - Suite is the weakest of those three albums by a good distance imo. The songs on Suite were written for Paul, and it shows, as both Baz and JJ are unconvincing vocally. I'd love to hear the demos with Paul singing, as I'm sure it would be a definite improvement. On saying that, Unbroken, Relentless and Summat Outanowt are good songs.

Giants has its faults, but I feel at least its the first proper MKIV album. The vocals sound more natural from Baz and JJ, and there are a couple of classics in both Freedom Is Insane and Time Was Once On My Side (I don't subscribe to that view on Relentless, a good song, yes, but not a great one imo). The only tracks I don't like are Adios, Camden and 15 Steps - so overall, a decent album, not a great one, but a much stronger body of work than Suite.

Norfolk Coast is a fantastic album, by far the best of the three. The title track is as good a Stranglers song as any, Big Thing Coming and Mine all Mine aren't far behind. The only poor tracks for me are Dutch Moon and Tuckers. Paul's delivery is very strong, and as much as the album is perhaps a bit of a retread, it's done superbly.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye

StanInBlack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by StanInBlack » 11 Jun 2013, 14:50

Predictably, I disagree with literally everything you've said about Giants being superior to Suite XVI. But hey, horses for courses! :lol:

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage » 11 Jun 2013, 15:17

I think they've gone from Strength to Strength with the last four albums, each slightly better than its predecessor (with the improvement evident pre Baz, CDG is (IMO) the best PR/JE Stranglers album). So it's:
  • 1. Giants
    2. Suite 16
    3. Norfolk Coast
although they're all pretty close IMO.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.

Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack » 11 Jun 2013, 15:43

I went for Norfolk Coast, however the last three albums are better than WIR and CDC. There are some songs on Suite 16 which I'm not too fussed on Bless You and Barbara been the main too, I dont mind I hate you, however there are some great songs on the album Relentless, Spectre of Love. Similar to Giants some songs like Adios, my fickle resolve not that keen on but Freedom is Insane is a great track.

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler » 11 Jun 2013, 16:06

As I said - its Norfolk or Suite for me , Norfolk today . Suite though IMO has by far the best single song since Hugh went AWOL ( Relentless ) and I think Spectre was a good choice as single - though usual results followed there :lol: . I wouldn't totally dismiss Giants , in the same way as I don't dismiss WIR these days , Freedom is a decent song and there are a couple of other listenable one's there , however the strength in depth lies in the first two both of which are consistently good all the way through . NC being very consistent and at least 7 fine songs , while suite also is very good ,I'd say slightly more consistent throughout but not quite as many real high's - I've always considered them on par with each other and its a difficult pick . I've always felt since release there is more filler on Giants than stuff of substance - but like said elsewhere by someone - horses for courses . Hopefully Baz' 4th effort isn't too far away as a Strangler. Will there be a 5th though - doubtful , time isn't on their side :smt010 .
Last edited by Jon the Impaler on 11 Jun 2013, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
All quiet ..........

StanInBlack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by StanInBlack » 11 Jun 2013, 17:00

The best songs on Giants don't even hold a candle to the average ones on Coast or Suite, IMO... I see it as a massive mis-step on the quality front. It's not even interesting in the same way that WIR or CDG could be considered interesting either.