Best MKI album - CBS ONLY EDITION!

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Which is the MKI line-ups best album of the CBS era?

Feline
53%
Aural Sculpture
31%
Dreamtime
11%
5%

Total votes: 74

HOFT
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Best MKI album - CBS ONLY EDITION!

Post by HOFT » 02 Nov 2012, 14:31

voted for 10 just because i can.
:twisted:
If you want SYMPATHY ?..........
You will find it in the dictionary between ` SHIT & SYPHILIS ' !

fourth horseman

Post by fourth horseman » 02 Nov 2012, 14:43

Aural Sculpture. The first side alone is as good as anything the band have done (the second side not as consistenct). It's probably in my top 5 Stranglers albums!
Shove it up yer bollocks then!

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard » 02 Nov 2012, 14:43

Dreamtime.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''

meanie
Ugly
Ugly

Post by meanie » 02 Nov 2012, 15:38

HOFT wrote:voted for 10 just because i can.
:twisted:
HOFT! .....dunno what to say, except....its a shame :wink:
I'll see you in the sewer!!!

StanInBlack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by StanInBlack » 02 Nov 2012, 18:35

I voted for Dreamtime, because it's the only CBS-era MKI album which I can listen to from start to finish and not feel like skipping a single track.

'Feline' has a darkness, a moodiness and that unique Stranglers musicality to it that the other albums here lack, so I'm not surprised it's getting a lot of votes - and it does feature some really strong material. However, its consistent sound makes the record very mood-dependent for me. It's probably their second weirdest album after 'The Gospel According To The Meninblack' overall!

From a technical standpoint, 'Aural Sculpture' is the best recorded album here, and on the whole is a much easier, less mood-dependent, and enjoyable listen than 'Feline' - side one is non-stop killer song after the other, but I've always found side two slightly flawed: 'Mad Hatter' and 'Laughing' in particular. I don't really have a problem with the drum machine on this one either, aside from on 'Spain' where it really makes the track feel a bit plodding - I've always preferred the 'All Live' version. I agree with whoever said that 'Aural Sculpture' had a great collection of B-sides, and I feel tracks like 'In One Door', 'Head On The Line', 'You' (which was recorded around this time) and 'Norman Normal' (which also reared its head around this time, although I think became a B-side later?) are more than worthy of having a place on the 'main feature'. They certainly weren't wanting for great songs around this time.

'10' is patchy as all hell - the dour, overproduced and badly-sung 'In This Place' has me reaching for the skip button immediately, and 'Out Of My Mind' (even though Hugh rates the track highly) has never been a song which had impressed me much. I've always been fond of 'Sweet Smell Of Success', 'Someone Like You' and 'Never To Look Back', and I do have a soft spot for 'Man Of The Earth'. I seem to have a higher tolerance for 'Too Many Teardrops' and 'Let's Celebrate' than most, although I can see why folks aren't into those tracks... especially lyrics about 'honey chiles'! :lol: 'Poisonality' and 'Instead Of This' are two strong songs by Hugh and JJ respectively which could have improved the 'main feature' incredibly... Roy Thomas Baker, though? It's well documented that as a producer he was really unsuitable for the Stranglers. The fact that they recorded this album twice, I think, gives the record a laboured feel that it otherwise wouldn't have had.

Finally, onto my eventual choice, 'Dreamtime'...

Yes, it's not the best produced record here: production-wise it falls between the two stools of 'Aural Sculptures' crystal-clear sound, mixed with the BIG drum machine overkill that hampers '10' considerably. However, as a back-to-back A-Z collection of songs, I don't think it can be beaten here...

'Always The Sun', 'Was It You?', 'Nice In Nice' and 'Shakin' Like A Leaf' are all top-drawer as far as I'm concerned. 'You'll Always Reap What You Sow' is one of JJ's finest ballads, and 'Big In America' showcases the trademark Hugh Cornwell humour to a T. 'Mayan Skies' and the title track are effortlessly evocative, not to mention beautifully melodic, 'Ghost Train' harkens back to the dark spoken word of a lot of 'Feline' moments while also having a passionate Hugh Cornwell vocal performance in the chorus, and 'Too Precious' marks the final 'epic' of this incarnation of the band.

The only thing that 'Dreamtime' seems to lack, if anything, is the musical masturbation element of the MKI band which seems to have had its last gasp on 'Feline' - but taken on its own terms, this album is a great pop album. The highs are not as high as 'Sculpture', granted, but the lows are not as low as 'Sculpture' either, let alone '10'. Fantastic concept, too. It's been getting a lot of play in my house recently, as I've slowly begun to think, over time, that it is the MKI bands last truly great record!

...In fact, I'm gonna listen to it now! :mrgreen:

s.harris

Post by s.harris » 02 Nov 2012, 19:20

fourth horseman wrote:Aural Sculpture. The first side alone is as good as anything the band have done (the second side not as consistenct). It's probably in my top 5 Stranglers albums!
:smt023 Aural Sculpture has one of the best A sides and all the 7" 12" and EP extra tracks were great and so was the rejected track You.

All the best

Shauninblack
'Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining'

ryaninblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ryaninblack » 02 Nov 2012, 19:21

theraven1979 wrote:Agreed but AS gives you Ice Queen, Souls, Skin Deep, Let Me Down Easy, No Mercy.

Tough call really.

Jim
ryaninblack wrote:Feline, has all the best songs, MSD, Ships, Paradise, Female, Never Say Goodbye.....
touché.

will taylor
Down In The Sewer

Post by will taylor » 02 Nov 2012, 20:12

ryaninblack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Agreed but AS gives you Ice Queen, Souls, Skin Deep, Let Me Down Easy, No Mercy.

Tough call really.

Jim
ryaninblack wrote:Feline, has all the best songs, MSD, Ships, Paradise, Female, Never Say Goodbye.....
touché.
As much as I like the abrasiveness of the 70's albums, Feline & AS (along with La Folie) are actually my favourite Stranglers LP's so for me those two are more or less neck and neck. I've voted for Feline but if In One Door/Head On The Line had of made it onto AS instead of Laughing/P&J then it'd be a different story.

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler » 03 Nov 2012, 09:30

I was a toss up for me between Feline and Dreamtime - Dreamtime just winning out for me . Odd though how they go down as the albums get more recent quite substantially - I think it shows the decline in M1 material generally viewed by fans .
All quiet ..........

Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 » 03 Nov 2012, 10:23

Feline does seem have to a lot more depth to it, and a sort of undertone or two of darkness - Or maybe I used to listen to it in a troubled time!

aldinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by aldinblack » 03 Nov 2012, 21:37

Hammersmith1982 wrote:Feline does seem have to a lot more depth to it, and a sort of undertone or two of darkness - Or maybe I used to listen to it in a troubled time!
exactly, it's a truly unique album. It has beauty yet it has darkness. The band on top form on this album with all members on the same page..
I Hate You !

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler » 04 Nov 2012, 07:50

Like I said earlier - I went for Dreamtime , it had a plethora of singles , some very well played music but retained a bit of that Stranglers sound , where 10 just edged too far away from traditional Stranglers , not really in a good way - though there are well written songs its may have been produced badly ...... too well maybe . It had no edge , then thats the way Hugh wanted to go .
Feline is a very odd album . I don't generally like acoustic or soft stuff like this , but it works and it works very well . Its totally unique and I almost went for this rather than Dreamtime - it is one of my favourites and sits there with MIB as something totally stand aone - I think WIR and Giants also fall into this category in as much as none have the traditional Stranglers feel or trademarks . Some of these work better than others but pretty much everything else in the Stranglers catalogue is some sort of standard rock . I think the two latter M1 albums though in this case work best of those four ( Feline , MIB, WIR , Giants ) . Aural has some good pop songs , but also some real turds and there are one or two good tracks on 10 - but both IMO are well short of the other CBS titles . The days of Grip , 5 Minutes , Duchess , Heroes had well disappeared by this stage - it was middle age middle of the road rock ..... where Hugh wanted to go at that stage . Listening to the singles of any of those albums though - they all seem far stronger material than the stuff that is deemed single worthy these days ....Let me down , No Mercy , Always ) of course Euro Female ) .....maybe the exception of Paradise ..... they are all well crafted pop songs .
All quiet ..........