How long can the lads continue?

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

How long do you think the Stranglers can continue for?

Up to 2 years (with 1 album)
40%
Up to 5 years
26%
Up to 10 years
10%
Forever! (in a Dr Feelgood kinda way)
24%

Total votes: 82

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: How long can the lads continue?

Post by Alias » 07 Jun 2009, 23:31

ThruBeingCool wrote:I'm pretty sure that this is a duplicate thread and that the initiator of this topic ought to have done a search first. :idea:
Probly cos it usually gets LOCKED! whenever someone starts this particular Forum ball rolling....
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 07 Jun 2009, 23:32

BTW, what's the Poll result look like so far?
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'

ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic » 08 Jun 2009, 00:05

ThruBeingCool wrote:
pigeon wrote:
ThruBeingCool wrote:I'm pretty sure that this is a duplicate thread and that the initiator of this topic ought to have done a search first. :idea:
I don't think it's been done as a poll though. So its a first in the polls.
Ah, I see! That's alright then :smt012

Whoooooooooossssshhhhh.............. "fuck me what was that? Don't worry Pige, that was just something going right over yer head mate, don't panic.
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.

APOLLO79
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by APOLLO79 » 08 Jun 2009, 00:56

Would like to think they could make the 40th year but the head thinks it'll be over in a couple of years. Still,all great things come to an end and what with Jets continuing health problems its inevitable. But the body of work and legacy as well as the influence the band have had on British music, i'd say i've been very fortunate to have witnessed the career,the highs and lows of all the members past and present that brought us joy and diversity that no other band have.
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon » 08 Jun 2009, 10:24

95% of the Heads of the oil producing states are mad Stranglers fans so with all their promised financial investment, I reckon at least another 20 years.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

Bag Lady
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Bag Lady » 08 Jun 2009, 10:56

I think that if Jet retires but remains supportive they could continue for many years with 50% of the original members. I must say that I had a panic attack at the beginning of the year when I realised how old Jet is and that I might miss seeing him play again if I didn't get on with it.

It's weird that I never realised back in the 80's that Jet is older than my parents - I guess that without the internet I just didn't have that sort of information available back then!
No one can win against kipple.

jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 » 08 Jun 2009, 10:57

The band have already exceeded my expectation for longevity by about 20 years!

I think Jet has already indicated that Ian is a worthy replacement, and I believe the band would have Jet's blessing if they continued, in the event he permanantly hung up his sticks. In that case I can see they could continue for another 10 years easily.

If JJ or Dave were to go though, that would be it! End of...

Jez
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....

pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon » 08 Jun 2009, 12:01

ThruBeingCool wrote:Anyhow, who gives a fuck if The Stranglers don't continue :?: We got 'STRAIGHTEN OUT' now :idea:

Seen them once.It's like seeing baz solo once you've seen it. You've seen it. A tribute band can't replace seeing Jet, JJ, & dave for me 3 rock legends.And baz. Straighten out to me seem like people getting a bit of *fame* of someone elses *fame* it's kind of Sad. I can't believe people will choose to go and see a tribute band more than hugh. Got to earn a living though.
enway Barry going off topic again .... so how many years did you vote for?

ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic » 08 Jun 2009, 17:56

pigeon wrote:
ThruBeingCool wrote:Anyhow, who gives a fuck if The Stranglers don't continue :?: We got 'STRAIGHTEN OUT' now :idea:

Seen them once.It's like seeing baz solo once you've seen it. You've seen it. A tribute band can't replace seeing Jet, JJ, & dave for me 3 rock legends.And baz. Straighten out to me seem like people getting a bit of *fame* of someone elses *fame* it's kind of Sad. I can't believe people will choose to go and see a tribute band more than hugh. Got to earn a living though.
Oh come on Pige, its not about earning a living or living on someone else's fame, its about having a good night out listening to the music we all adore (being played magnificently I have to say).

Of course the lads don't think they are actually The Stranglers, and they sure as hell ain't getting rich at 6 quid a ticket and having to travel up and down the country and pay for hotels and fuel.
No its not the real thing, its a load of people having a bloody good time and escaping from the harsh realities of this world for a few hours.

Back to topic I think the band will exist for another 43 years, 4 months and 12 days in one form or other.
Has anyone ever considered how lucky we are to be living at the same time as all this has been happening? I have, and its Fucking brilliant!!
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.

Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack » 08 Jun 2009, 21:06

ravenlunatic wrote:
pigeon wrote:

Oh come on Pige, its not about earning a living or living on someone else's fame, its about having a good night out listening to the music we all adore (being played magnificently I have to say).

Of course the lads don't think they are actually The Stranglers, and they sure as hell ain't getting rich at 6 quid a ticket and having to travel up and down the country and pay for hotels and fuel.
No its not the real thing, its a load of people having a bloody good time and escaping from the harsh realities of this world for a few hours.

Back to topic I think the band will exist for another 43 years, 4 months and 12 days in one form or other.
Has anyone ever considered how lucky we are to be living at the same time as all this has been happening? I have, and its Fucking brilliant!!

Very well put RavenLuny

:smt038
Claireinblack
kent

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason » 08 Jun 2009, 21:27

Whilst I want the band to continue for as long as possible I'd hate to see the band look ridiculous. At the moment they have still got a great stage presence with JJ still looking youthful and menacing and Baz looking the part but I'd hate them to look really old and decrepid on stage which could potentially turn them in to a laughing stock.

Blackbeered
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Blackbeered » 08 Jun 2009, 23:38

ravenlunatic wrote:Oh come on Pige, its not about earning a living or living on someone else's fame, its about having a good night out listening to the music we all adore (being played magnificently I have to say).

Bloody well said that man - just what I was going to say, kind of :!:

I had a top night on Saturday surrounded by wonderful people, drinking beer, dancing :shock: :? about in a pub listening to a band playing some feckin great music - and it only cost £6.00 (plus beer) as well.

I didn't care that it wasn't the real Stranglers - I'm going to Preston in August - but this (and the H&A a few weeks ago) was a nice filler until then thankyouverymuch. :P

Back on topic - Ian did a great job in Paris and Gent - and this may be sacreligious to some - but if and when Jet hangs up his sticks, I think the band have years left in them as long as JJ and Dave want to keep it going.
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........