Jets best drumming

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Jet's best drumming

GOODBYE TOULOUSE
2%
PEACHES
2%
HANGING AROUND
2%
NICE N SLEAZY
5%
GENETIX
53%
DOWN IN THE SEWER
23%
OTHER
12%

Total votes: 91

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Jets best drumming

Post by evonx »

To me the whole RAVEN lp, apparently he was called the hoover for his recreational drugs but every thing he hits on that lp is exactly right (and still sounds great). Duchess, Baroque, Genetix, Ice.... you name it.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came

Cells&Plasma
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England, UK, Europe, The World!!!!

Post by Cells&Plasma »

evonx wrote:To me the whole RAVEN lp, apparently he was called the hoover for his recreational drugs but every thing he hits on that lp is exactly right (and still sounds great). Duchess, Baroque, Genetix, Ice.... you name it.
Yep.......fly straight with perfection mate......their best LP by miles IMO. :shock: :wink:
Sir Martin Rushent: “In my experience, the longer you spend making a piece of music, the more likely it is to be a pile of shit.”

JJB: "You say we have strange keyboard parts, well, we have a strange keyboardist! What can I say?"

cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

relentless ...

Mulchinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by Mulchinblack »

Difficult choice since the great man can cover so many styles, but for me it has to be Nice and Sleazy. It's the way he maintains the beat and that great high hat/symbol in the middle of the lick. I just imagine his hands and feet must be working from different parts of his brain to synchronise it all. Well it sounds tricky to me anyhow. :oops: You know it's N+S everytime before the music kicks in.
Normally I wouldn't have minded.

Hangman85
Down In The Sewer

Post by Hangman85 »

Peasant In The Big Shitty for me
Pies in the skies, cheese in the seas

firebirdV8
Rats Rally

Post by firebirdV8 »

down in the sewer for me,7 minutes of brilliant drumming,lots of energy going on in this one.wish they would do this live now!
Fly straight with perfection

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Highlights for me were Jet "introducing" the song.

Examples are the intro to Nice n Sleazy (gradually building his set), How to Find True Love, Thrown Away.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

It's obviously live when Jet pulled some cannons out of the bag - I know a lot of people knock him for the 80s drum synths but man did he put the effort in live. The whole crash...bang....crash...bang drumming does it for me. Think about something simple like the start of "Was It You" and as mentioned "Nice and Sleazy" I think that Jet wasn't exactly Keith Moon but fuck if I was in a band and I had Jet behind me giving it his solid timing beats I'd have full confidence in the drummer.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Finally, for me - if Jet calls it a day they're not the Stranglers - I appreciate Ian but for me Jet is the father of the Stranglers.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

APOLLO79
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by APOLLO79 »

Was listening to BBC Hammersmith cd earlier and Jets drumming on 'Family' and 'Happiness' are great. 8)
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'

fourth horseman
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by fourth horseman »

Just watched Rattus at the Roundhouse DVD for the first time in a while, He still nails 'em all don't he? Dead Ringer and Duchess :smt007
Shove it up yer bollocks then!

Hangman85
Down In The Sewer

Post by Hangman85 »

I've never gotten the criticism of Jet's use of drum machines. The band moved with the times and so did Jet and in general I think he used the machines in interesting ways, particularly on Feline. I will admit that some of the drumming circa Dreamtime was a bit OTT and dated in hindsight but I think most of the time it worked.
Pies in the skies, cheese in the seas