your favourite venue

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!
"Fading Dutch Moon
Ugly
Ugly

Re: your favourite venue

Post by "Fading Dutch Moon » 09 Jan 2009, 13:25

Anciënne Belgique- Brussels Belgium (magnificent room)
SBE (great athmosphere)
Paradiso-Amsterdam The Netherlands (anciënt church)
013-Tilburg The Netherlands (modern, sloping floor; good sight everywhere)
are some of my favorites; unfortunately my first Stranglers-gig was in none of these but for very different reasons, these belong to my favorites

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx » 17 Jan 2009, 18:15

Tivoli , Utrecht, simple because its the venue i've seen inside a hundred times or so...
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came

"Fading Dutch Moon
Ugly
Ugly

Post by "Fading Dutch Moon » 18 Jan 2009, 14:02

evonx wrote:Tivoli , Utrecht, simple because its the venue i've seen inside a hundred times or so...
I'd like to be at the front and I don't like the hight of the stage there; I fear, one day I'll bumb my teeth on the edge.

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling » 20 Jan 2009, 19:15

Loved the small intimate gigs -

Leeds Tiffanys (1982)
Leeds Warehouse (1991)
Leeds Trades Club (1991)

and the big ones too -
Reading 83 & 87.

and many 80's gigs at Leeds Uni & Bradford St. Georges Hall.

Fraziel
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Fraziel » 21 Jan 2009, 01:14

Glasgow apollo was the best for the total chaos of it.Fights with bouncers after the gig ( not me i might add as i was just a lad but usually a fair few up for it),charging down the aisles to get to the front,seats being ripped up ( i once went up to a box after a gig had finished to look over the stalls and they had been wrecked.Dozens, possibly even hundreds of smashed seats),gobbing on the bouncers who were hanging from the scaffolding supporting the stage and who were booting into people at the front,the circle visibly and scarily shaking with people jumping up and down,and last but not least,the unbelievable atmosphere.
Second would be the glasgow barras although I think the band only played there 2 or 3 times with Hugh.Somehow they dont stand out like the Apollo gigs although the barras is a fantastic venue.Saw a few good ones with Paul there but also one where the place was only about a quarter full,maybe a third at a push,which was very disappointing.
I also like the ABC in Glasgow and the Carling academy.The carling would be great if you did not have to wait for 3 songs every time you try to get a drink.
I think the best gig I saw with Roberts was the QMU in Glasgow about 5 years ago.Sold out gig and a great atmosphere.They really looked like they were enjoying themselves until someone chucked a pint ( or was it a wet cloth, I cant remember )over Paul.He went ballistic.Most entertaining.

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx » 03 Feb 2009, 08:58

I have some bootlegs of Glasgow-gigs. The people there sing so loud the band wouldnt need to bother coming on stage :grin:
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came

Frank Castle
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frank Castle » 08 Feb 2009, 00:33

The famous Glesga Apollo.........nae Contest.

"You have'nt seen The Stranglers till you've seen them at The Glasgow Apollo" - JJ Burnel(1977)

TheMIB
SHAKESPEARO

Post by TheMIB » 08 Feb 2009, 21:28

Swindon arena, the spitting gig an banana up the arse was fun. There was no barrier , we were right onto the stage against our chests. I undid burnells bootlaces twice. Fo me it was Chippenham Goldiggers for the same reason. right on the stage, no barrier and the first night of the 1983 La folie tour. Just magic

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 09 Feb 2009, 15:51

Almost goes without saying- Glasgow Apollo.

End of.

Next topic please.

:twisted:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'

henry moore
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by henry moore » 18 Feb 2009, 20:04

the apollo in glasgow ,no competition
take a tour around a henry moore

dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro » 18 Feb 2009, 23:14

Glasgow Apollo. (saw the last gig The Stranglers played there before it closed in 1985). The only down side with the apolllo was the stage, never seen a stage so high (i think the stage was level with the lower circle area!!). The small club above the Apollo (called the Penthouse) was an electric venue as well! Saw The Damned there is December 1983 and it was a fantastic night!
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 18 Feb 2009, 23:28

Although not really the most legendary Stranglers venue the Leeds Town and Country club saw many a Stranglers gig in the 90s. And when it was recently re-opened after years of being a tacky little club I was happy to see that it looked better than ever and still retains it's T&C layout - I used to go clubbing/chasing skirt there in the 90s as well. Saw me last Big Country gig there on their Final Fling tour and they used to have a Stranglers poster in the main arena along with a triptych of Hugh on the La Folie tour on the top floor.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"