your favourite venue

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!
firebirdV8
Rats Rally

your favourite venue

Post by firebirdV8 » 25 Nov 2008, 20:01

What is your favourite venue the Stranglers played and why?
As i am from the Netherlands i choose the Paradisoclub in Amsterdam
Saw them there in1995 and it is an old church converted to a venue,it's got a great (stranglers) history.
In england i would choose Brixton academy,i saw them there in 1991.this venue impressed me very much.
Fly straight with perfection

Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: your favourite venue

Post by Toiler On The Sea » 25 Nov 2008, 20:21

Has to be the Good Old Glasgow Apollo :roll:

First time is always the best :oops:
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason » 25 Nov 2008, 21:47

I like Brixton Acedemy too.

GLASGOWSCOTTSINBLACK
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by GLASGOWSCOTTSINBLACK » 25 Nov 2008, 22:00

glasgow apollo for the great gig s there apart from the seating .especially ending up with circle or above...down the stalls up and down the ailses and gettin a chase from the bouncers all good stuff,even getting on the stage was an acheivment...ah the memories......2nd up has got to be the barrowland up front and personal great nites sweating and seeing ..the whites of their eyes....
"the ending of the day brings the calm that youve been waiting for......"

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 25 Nov 2008, 22:07

Glasgee Barras has a certain electricity and danger about it - I love it when you go up the steps and eventually walk in and the atmos hits you.

Leeds T&C and Bradford St Georges hall are 2 examples of medium sized venues that do the job very nicely.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

villainblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by villainblack » 25 Nov 2008, 22:35

My favourite has to be the old Birmingham Odeon, held about 5000 on two levels, the acoustics were brilliant, I saw the Stranglers played there from the MIB tour until the Dreamtime tour, they always played 2 nights. the only downside was the security, but from seeing the stranglers at other venues during that era they were all the same (brutal).

The venue is now a cinema, Birmingham needs a medium size venue as the Accademy only hold 3000,

Running a close 2nd has to be the Robin club,Bilston the last 2 gigs there were awesome.
Please allow me to re-arrange your face sometimes
I'd really like to get to know you better

C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! » 25 Nov 2008, 22:47

The Rainbow Finsbury Park with its intricate art deco icing frills and bully bouncers pushing you back from the aisles and into your seat! All adds to the excitement, and the danger of being in the environs after dark trying to getting home. The George Robey packed out beforehand trying to get a drink. The foyer where I peeled away the Rattus and Black n White sleeves off the walls when Hugh was inside in Easter 1980.

And also the Lyceum Ballroom in the Strand later that year.

[img]
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

Kathinboots
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Kathinboots » 25 Nov 2008, 23:38

The Cambridge Corn Exchange I think but only because that's where I first saw them and it was quite local for (some) of them! I just remember getting seriously bruised ribs from being squashed against the barrier (not that I noticed at the time) and a security bloke who was the spit of Mr Spock. I got invited backstage to meet them by a mate of JJ's I was stood next to at the front but couldn't 'cos I had to go...... My one and only regret in life. Still give myself a good kicking every day for that. :smt022
Boogie now, Dave!

kincajou
Rats Rally

Post by kincajou » 26 Nov 2008, 09:10

I do love the SBE tbh! Not just coz I've seen the stranglers there loads of times but I like the compact-ness (real word?) of it. Seen other nbands there are well & just as good.

Went to the Oxford Academy the other night & saw Primal Scream. Awesome little venue, you can almost touch the ceiling downstairs! Upstairs is good as well, saw the Deasd Kennedys there in the summer.

Next Stranglers tour maybe?!

johnnyg1968
Ugly
Ugly

Post by johnnyg1968 » 26 Nov 2008, 10:01

The rainbow and the roundhouse are my faves.Its a shame The stranglers dont play the roundhouse instead of the sbe its a far batter facility
"THE OTHER NIGHT I CHANCED UPON AN IRATE CATERPILLAR"

The Bee
Rats Rally

Post by The Bee » 26 Nov 2008, 10:28

The Rainbow and Hammersmith Odeon for me.

Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker » 26 Nov 2008, 12:25

I always had a soft spot for The Rainbow, as that's where I first saw the band.
These days, Brixton is a great venue, with the sloping floor ensuring everyone downstairs has a good view, and the sound quality's usually ok there too. Pity it's such a pain in the arse to get to unless you live in Sarf London.
Nearer to home, Cambridge Junction is my favourite - better sound and usually better atmosphere than The Corn Exchange.