New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: New keyboard player

Post by toilerinblack »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 13:13
toilerinblack wrote:Great reading post's from fans that saw and can relive those early MK1 gigs,i really enjoyed reading them and like i was reminded with JJ storming off too i remember that well.The Hammersmith line of bouncers is the one that got me where they refused to play on where hugh told chris to turn on the house light's and JJ having a go at the bouncers telling them people haven't paid money to look at your faces just a classic one liner from JJ....memories like those you wouldn't get today.
The Gig is on here I think.

https://we.tl/K7GSULRiuP?src=dnl

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Great stuff thanks for that.... you too have seen some of the best gigs from a period of time that i think this band were at that their best and in their prime,we like others have been fortunate and lucky enough to have seen and experinaced those... classic gigs in time! even though this band still give a bloody good gig today which is amazing in itself 47 years on to be honest ...good on them!
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

toilerinblack wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 13:24
toilerinblack wrote:Great reading post's from fans that saw and can relive those early MK1 gigs,i really enjoyed reading them and like i was reminded with JJ storming off too i remember that well.The Hammersmith line of bouncers is the one that got me where they refused to play on where hugh told chris to turn on the house light's and JJ having a go at the bouncers telling them people haven't paid money to look at your faces just a classic one liner from JJ....memories like those you wouldn't get today.

Great stuff thanks for that.... you too have seen some of the best gigs from a period of time that i think this band were at that their best in their prime,we have been lucky to have seen and experinaced those gigs.
I think they were on a high live wise in the early and mid 80s, which compensated for their decline in recorded output (and yes I know some of you think 10 and Dreamtime are wonderful). The quality live is also why it was so surprising when they failed to hit the mark at the odd late 80s gig (e.g. pre 10 tour at Brixton and Ally Pally in particular being well below their usual standard).

Hopefully the new keyboard player slots in really well, playing the keys as their meant to be played and keeping up the high quality of recent tours (and not jumping around like a clown (a la Monty)).
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 13:35

Great stuff thanks for that.... you too have seen some of the best gigs from a period of time that i think this band were at that their best in their prime,we have been lucky to have seen and experinaced those gigs.
I think they were on a high live wise in the early and mid 80s, which compensated for their decline in recorded output (and yes I know some of you think 10 and Dreamtime are wonderful). The quality live is also why it was so surprising when they failed to hit the mark at the odd late 80s gig (e.g. pre 10 tour at Brixton and Ally Pally in particular being well below their usual standard).

Hopefully the new keyboard player slots in really well, playing the keys as their meant to be played and keeping up the high quality of recent tours (and not jumping around like a clown (a la Monty)).
Intresting on a few things you have talked about there,firstly i've a feeling they have been very careful to bring in a keyboard player who fully understands Dave and his instruments and well basically everything to do with Dave and what he stood for which if it is the guy with the hat and glasses doing the Dave tribute on youtube well he seem's really knowledgeable about Dave and his keys and who can obviously play very well too himself.So i'm sure this guy will slot in no problem with the gigs sounding hopefully bloody good still,ok we all know that nobody will replace Dave and i'm sure that he and the band have no intensions of doing exactly that for sure,they just want to under sad circumstances carry on to tour still and it certainly looks the case of it being more long term with gigs into 2023.
As for brixton and Ally gig i was their at both out of curiosity when you say below their usual standard do you mean in energy wise within the band or musically?
The energy i can buy i agree within the band what with the tensions the energy wasn't like how it used to be for sure i agree there,but for me and especially the ally gig musically they sounded great and especially Hugh's vocals sounded superb to my ears anyway along with the great brass section....just my take on it though.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 23 Oct 2021, 17:39, edited 2 times in total.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

toilerinblack wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 13:46
As for brixton and Ally gig i was their at both when you say below their usual standard do you mean in energy or musically?
The energy i can buy i agree within the band what with the tensions the energy wasn't like how it used to be for sure i agree there,but for me and especially the ally gig musically they were on top of the game sounding very good with the brass section....just my take on it.
I thought both were very flat, no real energy or interaction, the band playing well but none of the live energy we’re used to. Ally Pally in particular didn’t liven up until the brass fucked off for a bit.
Compare Saturday Night Sunday Morning to All Live and All of the Night (or some of the humorous boots of that era) although tracks are played well at Ally Pally, it just doesn’t hit the mark compared to a couple of years earlier.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 13:35

Yes the energy i agree too and Hugh at the ally gig seemed to be heavily interacting with JE and not the rest of the band and especially with JJ to his left,it's all a shame but after 16 odd years together i suppose that's life,but we get good material and gig's still we hope from both camps so i can't complain really.
I
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

Bear Cage wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 14:00
As for brixton and Ally gig i was their at both when you say below their usual standard do you mean in energy or musically?
The energy i can buy i agree within the band what with the tensions the energy wasn't like how it used to be for sure i agree there,but for me and especially the ally gig musically they were on top of the game sounding very good with the brass section....just my take on it.
I thought both were very flat, no real energy or interaction, the band playing well but none of the live energy we’re used to. Ally Pally in particular didn’t liven up until the brass fucked off for a bit.
Compare Saturday Night Sunday Morning to All Live and All of the Night (or some of the humorous boots of that era) although tracks are played well at Ally Pally, it just doesn’t hit the mark compared to a couple of years earlier.
I was at the ally pally and also on three of the 10 tour and I couldn’t agree more The whole tour seemed tired and very flat. Compare that tour to the band live at the moment pre Covid No comparison
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

MrBlack77 wrote:
Bear Cage wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 14:00
I was at the ally pally and also on three of the 10 tour and I couldn’t agree more The whole tour seemed tired and very flat. Compare that tour to the band live at the moment pre Covid No comparison
I was at 5 Dates on the 10 Tour and although Crawley was dead..I thought the first Brixton Show, Guildford and Folkestone were really good.

Ally Pally was not a great Gig.

MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

I was at Bradford Preston Manchester and the ally pally. Bradford was the best but nothing special. Huge doing his dressing up as a school teacher bit👎
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

MrBlack77 wrote:I was at Bradford Preston Manchester and the ally pally. Bradford was the best but nothing special. Huge doing his dressing up as a school teacher bitImage
Yeah I remember that, getting canned on Stage..usually by a Young Woman!!

MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 15:12
MrBlack77 wrote:I was at Bradford Preston Manchester and the ally pally. Bradford was the best but nothing special. Huge doing his dressing up as a school teacher bitImage
Yeah I remember that, getting canned on Stage..usually by a Young Woman!!

Young been the word🥴
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 11:28
StanInBlack wrote:
STEVEh wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 11:14 It’s 31 years since Hugh left. I do wonder if “This Song”
was recorded especially for you Stan.
I love it when people trot out the "you're not over Hugh leaving the band" line, when my stance on that has always been clear. I'm glad that Hugh left The Stranglers - it's allowed him to create a series of genuinely great solo records and if he'd stayed with The Stranglers it would have been to the detriment of that material.

Those people on Youtube that overdub keyboard tracks onto Hugh Cornwell live gigs? They're the ones NOT over it.
Again....I ask this Question which you ignored before...can you give us the Date and Venue of your first Stranglers' Gig please?

Has Stan actually even seen Hugh with The Stranglers? His age would suggest not and this may explain a lot and his ‘passion’ for all things Hugh.
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

From ‘81–‘90 I saw Hugh with The Stranglers 41 times.
They were fucking marvellous.
8)
😂🤣
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 15:48
Cells&Plasma wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 11:28 Again....I ask this Question which you ignored before...can you give us the Date and Venue of your first Stranglers' Gig please?
Has Stan actually even seen Hugh with The Stranglers?
I don't see what relevance any of this has towards my feelings towards the current line-up of the band. In fact, I'll tell you both how much relevance it has to the discussion: none, unless you're trying to turn the thread into some dick-swinging "I was there first"/"I was there before you" contest, which is something that ultimately I don't give a shit about and is a line of conversation that's best taken to the average R.E.M. forum where it belongs. Either of you could tell me that you saw The Stranglers live in 1975 and I'd be like "so? what you want? a medal?" ... Of course, I've seen the band live plenty - but gigs in general have always been secondary to recordings for me in terms of importance, and this goes for every single band that I'm into - not just The Stranglers. You could have a band that's amazing live, but if the records are crap then I'm not interested as ultimately it's the records that last. With that in mind, it's understandable that post-Hugh Stranglers fans should put so much emphasis on the gigs as opposed to the records - they haven't put out many good ones since Hugh left 31 years ago, after all.