New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: New keyboard player

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 17:57 Hugh's the better songwriter but he's only on the map because he's The Stranglers ex-lead singer - he relies on that legacy as much as the band do theirs.

Without that legacy he'd have practically zero traction as an artiste - it's almost a foregone conclusion that nearly everyone who supports him does so because they're Stranglers fans.
Sir totally agree, although I did meet a chap at his Heroes Tour who only knew Hugh for his non Stranglers material, of course Hugh gets an audience because of being an ex Strangler, if not know one would go,when his set some years ago had no Stranglers songs fuck all went, now of course he gets a bigger crowd because he has embraced his Stranglers past, as i said before the general public have no ideas who he is mainly, whilst if you asked people who was ex lead singer of the Jam or Police, people of a certain age would know. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

8088 wrote:Hugh's the better songwriter but he's only on the map because he's The Stranglers ex-lead singer - he relies on that legacy as much as the band do theirs.

Without that legacy he'd have practically zero traction as an artiste - it's almost a foregone conclusion that nearly everyone who supports him does so because they're Stranglers fans.
We appear to be agreeing with each other at the moment!

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

alaninblack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 22:31 Should Golden Brown be played live again ? I would not miss it personally, but it so associated with DG that maybe it should be left out.
That's exactly how it is .
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 12:25
Mart wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 11:45 It is the choice of the band, it is their living when all said and done and have the right to continue
Correct, and it is my right as a fan to observe the choices of the band and decide if I want to make the choice of continuing to buy the albums/see the shows out of some sense of brand loyalty, or whether to go with my instinct/feeling that it's not The Stranglers anymore and stop. It shouldn't come as any surprise which one I'm choosing.

No slight against those that are, but I'm not a fan of cabaret.
Well i can see where your coming from and obviously is not a surprise which side of the fence i'm on too what with no Dave now.This does come to some of the hardcore MK1 fans who saw Dave like many of us have from the early days of MK1.It does make some of us think a little different than many who joined as fans post hugh.For me my best gigs were with the orginal four that's why i'm still loyal to the band i grew up with from the age of 14 yrs,but no Hugh No Jet No Dave is hard for me to continue on live and i think Dave was the last straw for me .
Saying that this band are now producing very good material some of their best post Hugh along with NC and i have been really impressed with DM so i will always be intested in the material as a band.I tell you something i'm playing WIR more and more nowdays, i'm playing about four or five very good tracks alot in the car realising years on just how good this album is and Paul's vocals too,i'm not saying it's up their with their best because it's not but i do really like a few that get right in your head.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 22 Oct 2021, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 19:56
Mart wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 11:45 It is the choice of the band, it is their living when all said and done and have the right to continue
Correct, and it is my right as a fan to observe the choices of the band and decide if I want to make the choice of continuing to buy the albums/see the shows out of some sense of brand loyalty, or whether to go with my instinct/feeling that it's not The Stranglers anymore and stop. It shouldn't come as any surprise which one I'm choosing.

Well i can see where your coming from and obviously is not a surprise which side of the fence i'm on too what with no Dave now.This does come to some of the hardcore MK1 fans who saw Dave like many of us have from the early days of MK1.It does make some of us think a little different than may who joined as fans post hugh.For me my best gigs were with the orginal four that's why i'm still loyal to the band i grew up with from the age of 14 yrs,but no Hugh No Jet No Dave is hard for me to continue on live and i think Dave was the last straw for me .
Saying that this band are now producing very good material some of their best post Hugh along with NC and i have been really impressed with DM so i will always be intested in the material as a band.I tell you something i'm playing WIR more and more nowdays, i'm playing about four or five very good tracks alot in the car realising years on just how good this album is and Paul's vocals too,i'm not saying it's up their with their best because it's not but i do really like a few that get right in your head.
Sir I agree with what you say, I may have to give WIR another listen, there are some good songs Joy De Viva is a cracker, Valley, Silver in to Blue, Heaven She Walks and a really underated song is Wonderful Land, as for the future of the band, I will hopefully go to France in November and report back, quite a few people on here are going, so will be a lot of British their, I'm excited but nervous how I will feel without Dave but I know Mr Hounsham is a great player but fuck he is going to be nervous, but Louie was responsible for finding him, he's a professional and loved Daves playing so I think he will do a great job, and as I've said it's my way of paying tribute to Dave, the tour is with his late wifes blessing, so that makes it easier for me to deal with. I'm excited but nervous to. I haven't been to a gig since Kirk Brandon In Leicester In 2020 just before the Chinese lock down. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 20:22
toilerinblack wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 19:56

Well i can see where your coming from and obviously is not a surprise which side of the fence i'm on too what with no Dave now.This does come to some of the hardcore MK1 fans who saw Dave like many of us have from the early days of MK1.It does make some of us think a little different than may who joined as fans post hugh.For me my best gigs were with the orginal four that's why i'm still loyal to the band i grew up with from the age of 14 yrs,but no Hugh No Jet No Dave is hard for me to continue on live and i think Dave was the last straw for me .
Sir I agree with what you say, I may have to give WIR another listen, there are some good songs Joy De Viva is a cracker, Valley, Silver in to Blue, Heaven She Walks and a really underated song is Wonderful Land, as for the future of the band, I will hopefully go to France in November and report back, quite a few people on here are going, so will be a lot of British their, I'm excited but nervous how I will feel without Dave but I know Mr Hounsham is a great player but fuck he is going to be nervous, but Louie was responsible for finding him, he's a professional and loved Daves playing so I think he will do a great job, and as I've said it's my way of paying tribute to Dave, the tour is with his late wifes blessing, so that makes it easier for me to deal with. I'm excited but nervous to. I haven't been to a gig since Kirk Brandon In Leicester In 2020 just before the Chinese lock down. Lt Kudu.
Yep you've named a few that i keep playing obviously Here which leads to Joy De Viva two crackers on the trot,again also like you say Valley,Silver in to blue and heaven she walks they are the 5 or 6 that are brilliant.Anyway from two who also agree that Tom Baker was the best Doctor Who lol
you know what what has happened to the telly when i was young there were brilliant programme's that's all gone to pot,it's all s**t today,bring back the '70s telly programmes with the music from that time too.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 17:57 Hugh's the better songwriter but he's only on the map because he's The Stranglers ex-lead singer - he relies on that legacy as much as the band do theirs.
Yes, a lot of solo artists that used to be in "name" bands earned their reputation prior to going solo. How utterly observant.

The current Stranglers line-up are only on the map because of the groundwork laid by the classic line-up, and Hugh was a major part of laying that groundwork. They rely on the legacy of The Stranglers far more than Hugh does because they decided to retain the name "The Stranglers" and all of the brand value that goes along with it when Hugh left, a brand value which Baz Warne has taken full advantage of. If he hadn't joined The Stranglers he'd still be slogging it out on the small circuit with some covers band or small local group as he had done since his stint in Toy Dolls came to an end. With JE and particularly PR, I think they initially saw The Stranglers name as an advantage and then a disadvantage. By 1997, you could be forgiven for thinking they wanted to form a different group entirely.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

alaninblack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 22:31 Should Golden Brown be played live again ? I would not miss it personally, but it so associated with DG that maybe it should be left out.
For purely selfish reasons Golden Brown should not be played live again. I have never been to a gig where it has sounded good. Don't get me wrong, I love the studio version especially Hugh's guitar playing but live the bass sounds lumpen and the keyboard never sounds like the harpsichord sound on the studio version. I stand there waiting for next song - even on the La Folie tour. So please don't play it!!!!
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

aldinblack wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 17:43 But he hasn't completely distanced himself from "the stranglers brand" has he?
He has in his own work, which has nothing to do with (and is supposed to be different from) The Stranglers. Otherwise, he will always be linked with The Stranglers as a result of being the driving force and focal point of the band when they were establishing themselves and/or at their most successful and he wrote some great songs during The Stranglers' most essential period that he remains proud of. Paul Weller still plays songs from his days in The Jam and The Style Council that he remains proud of and he has absolutely zero desire to go out on tour with either a re-formed Jam or re-formed Style Council. Same thing.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

StanInBlack wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 21:55
aldinblack wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 17:43 But he hasn't completely distanced himself from "the stranglers brand" has he?
He has in his own work, which has nothing to do with (and is supposed to be different from) The Stranglers. Otherwise, he will always be linked with The Stranglers as a result of being the driving force and focal point of the band when they were establishing themselves and/or at their most successful and he wrote some great songs during The Stranglers' most essential period that he remains proud of. Paul Weller still plays songs from his days in The Jam and The Style Council that he remains proud of and he has absolutely zero desire to go out on tour with either a re-formed Jam or re-formed Style Council. Same thing.
[/quote

Totally agreed. If you were part of a band that produced great songs, why not continue to play those songs to an audience? Keeps the songs alive and everyone goes home happy (as long as they are played to a good standard - let's forget how Johnny Winter ended up). Also some songs lend themselves to being stripped down in a live setting. Mind you I find it's never really the same listening to a live recording - often doesn't get the immediacy of being there in front of the artist. Thank goodness XCert was one of those live albums that actually worked along with If You Want Blood and Made in Japan.
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

Slightly off topic The Blow Monkeys, who are a guilty pleasure of mine, posted Radio 365 are showing their new album is number one in Brazil.

The Chart also shows Dark Matters at 17 and reveals the new band member as Jake Bugg!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 21:55
OK so honesty here, would Hugh get as many people as he does now if he didn't play any Stranglers songs? I remember seeing him in 1995 in a club in Swindon, must have been about 30 people, he played no Stranglers songs, I remember talking to a member of the Stranglers in 2004? And he said Hugh didn't want to be Strangler but he still plays Stranglers songs, he had a point. Lt Kudu.