Paris gig 2023 🖤

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Paris gig 2023 🖤

Post by evonx »

, Roger Waters was being discussed elsewhere, he’s recently hit 80,
He's only 78 :grin:

Repeating that megalomaniac dreadful The Wall year after year
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

In all fairness JJ got the 'green light' from both Pam Greenfield and Jet Balck to continue as The Stranglers. So if he feels like doing it and still is healthy enough he probably will. Baz is a bonafide member for 21 years now so and obviously loves it so fair play to him too for wanting to continue. For Jim it is a great job being in this band.
They released an album that has been well received in the media (what's left of it anyway), and it's their best album since Norfolk Coast, and they still have 488 ideas left ... long live the future
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

evonx wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 21:56
, Roger Waters was being discussed elsewhere, he’s recently hit 80,
He's only 78 :grin:

Repeating that megalomaniac dreadful The Wall year after year
Ah my bad.

The Wall has some good songs on it, but it’s not an album that I ever feel inclined towards listening to, but always got time for “Another Brick In The Wall”. I was lucky enough to see Waters a few years back, and he really knows how to put on a good show, even though he neglects most of his solo material, but clearly the majority of the audience don’t go for that.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 22:32 Ah my bad.

The Wall has some good songs on it, but it’s not an album that I ever feel inclined towards listening to, but always got time for “Another Brick In The Wall”. I was lucky enough to see Waters a few years back, and he really knows how to put on a good show, even though he neglects most of his solo material, but clearly the majority of the audience don’t go for that.
The main problem I have with The Wall is that it's basically "Pink Floyd presents The Roger Waters Experience" ... where Animals was angry, The Wall is just whiny. Gone are the beautiful, lengthy musical passages of Wish You Were Here and Animals and instead a monotonous song cycle of multi-millionaire whinging.

The Final Cut is even worse, and the less said about the AOR/pseudo-Floyd crap the band put out when he left, the better.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 22:59

The Final Cut is even worse, and the less said about the AOR/pseudo-Floyd crap the band put out when he left, the better.
I like the Final Cut, probably for the very reasons most people hate it, he would have probably been better served doing it with session musicians, which is effectively what the rest of Pink Floyd were on this record. I know it’s quite a universally loathed album but I have a bit of a soft spot for it.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 23:08 I like the Final Cut, probably for the very reasons most people hate it, he would have probably been better served doing it with session musicians, which is effectively what the rest of Pink Floyd were on this record. I know it’s quite a universally loathed album but I have a bit of a soft spot for it.
I'm on board with what Waters was trying to say with the record - and as a subject matter it's preferable to that of The Wall, I think - but ultimately I find it a real slog to get through. Some terrible vocals, too. It should have been a Roger Waters solo album rather than a Floyd album, in the same way as A Momentary Lapse of Reason should have been a Gilmour solo LP.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 23:17
I'm on board with what Waters was trying to say with the record - and as a subject matter it's preferable to that of The Wall, I think - but ultimately I find it a real slog to get through. Some terrible vocals, too. It should have been a Roger Waters solo album rather than a Floyd album, in the same way as A Momentary Lapse of Reason should have been a Gilmour solo LP.

The subject matter is definitely what draws me to the album, I’d agree some of his vocals aren’t the best, but then he’s not really a great vocalist in the grand scheme of things. I do like his twisted humour, amongst the misery of the album having a song entitled; “get your filthy hands off my desert”.

I’m not sure if I ever managed to bring myself to listening to more than the first couple of tracks on Momentary Lapse, found it pretty excruciating.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 23:35 I do like his twisted humour, amongst the misery of the album having a song entitled; “get your filthy hands off my desert”.
Or the spoken part on "The Fletcher Memorial Home" or the "FUCK! ALL! THAT!" backing vocals on "Not Now John"? I mean, I totally get what others see in the record, but yeah... I've always found it a bit of endurance test, that record.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 23:41
Or the spoken part on "The Fletcher Memorial Home" or the "FUCK! ALL! THAT!" backing vocals on "Not Now John"? I mean, I totally get what others see in the record, but yeah... I've always found it a bit of endurance test, that record.
I’ll wager you would probably rather listen to it than most Post Hugh Stranglers albums though, certainly the last couple 8)
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 22:04 In all fairness JJ got the 'green light' from both Pam Greenfield and Jet Balck to continue as The Stranglers. So if he feels like doing it and still is healthy enough he probably will. Baz is a bonafide member for 21 years now so and obviously loves it so fair play to him too for wanting to continue. For Jim it is a great job being in this band.
They released an album that has been well received in the media (what's left of it anyway), and it's their best album since Norfolk Coast, and they still have 488 ideas left ... long live the future
Sir you have summed it up well, green light from Jet and Pam, and to me that's enough, and like you say Baz 21 years and Jim loves doing it, but I will be very nervous if I go to the first French date? Touch wood? As it seems the chinese Virus is going through the roof again. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 00:03 I’ll wager you would probably rather listen to it than most Post Hugh Stranglers albums though, certainly the last couple 8)
If I had to choose between listening to The Final Cut or Giants/Dark Matters, I'd settle for no music at all and quite happily listen to the sounds of nature :lol:
Greatkudu wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 10:47 As it seems the chinese Virus is going through the roof again.
^ Oh look, the edgelord has returned.
jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Post by jeanjacketburnel »

Only 78? How old will JJ be if he does that gig?
STEVE