Dark Matters v Giants

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Dark Matters v Giants

Post by aldinblack »

Greatkudu wrote:
ozymandias wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 14:06
Jon the Impaler wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:36 I made what I consider a big mistake when Giants came out , I compared, or said , Mercury Rising( urghhh) was more akin to material on Nosferatu .Big mistake really as Nosferatu is a good album with some odd stuff . MR is just dire imo , so I can see how someone might compare something to something else at an early stages......it can happen , I later realised my mistake as the dislike grew , and grew .......and grew .
Breathe ......don't like it much myself , no way I hate it but I am not keen , just because like Lines and Down , slow one's or accoustic type .....I simply don't like that stuff .Down in other languages , not for me , it's the same thing so why bother just in a different language, the only one I ever got that they did like that was Sverige , brilliant .
Am I the only person that likes Mercury Rising?
Sir no I join you in the club of 3,its a good song, its about Baz when he joined the band, great bassline, nice pattern from Jet and great riff from Dave, shame people don't seem to comment about Miss You from WIR, now that is a terrible song, IMHO the worst ever Stranglers song by far, I cant listen to it, it's shocking a low point in the band. Lt Kudu
There's at least 4 of us I like MR its one of Giant's goodens
I Hate You !
ozymandias
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ozymandias »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 14:35
Jon the Impaler wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:36
I made what I consider a big mistake when Giants came out , I compared, or said , Mercury Rising( urghhh) was more akin to material on Nosferatu .Big mistake really as Nosferatu is a good album with some odd stuff . MR is just dire imo , so I can see how someone might compare something to something else at an early stages......it can happen , I later realised my mistake as the dislike grew , and grew .......and grew .
Breathe ......don't like it much myself , no way I hate it but I am not keen , just because like Lines and Down , slow one's or accoustic type .....I simply don't like that stuff .Down in other languages , not for me , it's the same thing so why bother just in a different language, the only one I ever got that they did like that was Sverige , brilliant .
Sir no I join you in the club of 3,its a good song, its about Baz when he joined the band, great bassline, nice pattern from Jet and great riff from Dave, shame people don't seem to comment about Miss You from WIR, now that is a terrible song, IMHO the worst ever Stranglers song by far, I cant listen to it, it's shocking a low point in the band. Lt Kudu
Nice to know we're not alone! I made a point of listening to all the post-1990 albums recently and was struck by just how bland I found pretty much all of WIR.
ozymandias
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ozymandias »

aldinblack wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 15:01
Greatkudu wrote:
There's at least 4 of us I like MR its one of Giant's goodens
:smt023
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 13:42
StanInBlack wrote:
alaninblack wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 01:00 I'm sure there must be another thread somewhere
There is, which is why I solely stuck to the post-Hugh albums and where Dark Matters falls in the post-Hugh scheme of things.
aldinblack wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 08:19 Breathe sounds a bit Pinky Floydy to me!
It sounds terrible to me, but your mileage may vary. I think comparing it to Pink Floyd is far too kind... Pink Floyd at their peak were "greatest of all time" material. "Breathe" is a bit of a limp non-thing.
yeah well I never said it was as good as Pink Floyd.
All depends if you like Pink Floyd, alot don't. Lt Kudu.
Young Mr Grace
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Young Mr Grace »

Suite XVI
Dark Matters
Norfolk Coast
Monster
Beyond EFs
Totem & Taboo
About Time
Guilty
Giants
In the Night
HiFi
Hooverdam
Written in Red
Wired
Coup de Grace
Footprints
You can't keep up with me.
Young Mr Grace
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Young Mr Grace »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 15:08
I used to listen to Pink Floyd quite a lot back in my youth.
Now my Floyd listening is restricted to 'Animals' and 'Meddle'.

'Breathe' does have a Floyd 1971 vibe about it. Good track.
You can't keep up with me.
Bogenbroom
Rats Rally

Post by Bogenbroom »

Guilty
Monster
Suite XVI
Norfolk Coast
Beyond Elysian Fields
About Time
HiFi
Hooverdam
Dark Matters
In the Night
Written in Red
Totem & Taboo
Giants
Wired
Coup de Grace

That’s how it feels today, but would probably come up with a different order on another day. Although the top 4 or 5 and Coup de Grace wouldn’t change their positions.

There’s stuff I like on a every one of these records though. Even Coup has a couple of good songs on it.
Yukio!
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Yukio! »

Black and White
The Raven
Rattus Norvegicus
The Gospel According to the Meninblack
No More Heroes
Aural Sculpture
Dreamtime
La Folie
Norfolk Coast
Suite XVI
Dark Matters
Feline
About Time
Stranglers In The Night
Giants
Coup de Grace
Written in Red
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Old Hugh he gets in everywhere, I didn't know he was part of Giants or Dark Matters. Lt Kudu. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Young Mr Grace wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 15:56
Greatkudu wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 15:08
I used to listen to Pink Floyd quite a lot back in my youth.
Now my Floyd listening is restricted to 'Animals' and 'Meddle'.

'Breathe' does have a Floyd 1971 vibe about it. Good track.
People can say what they like about PF and i wouldn't say i'm a massive fan to all of there stuff BUT! Shine on you crazy diamond is one very special track to me anyway, not so much PF version from years ago but David's version on youtyube as a solo artist is amazing,i listen to David gilmour live in pompeii amazing and if your like me and like guitars and slide guitar then again the same track listen to David Gilmour-Shine on you crazy diamond(partVI-VIII) he play's the guitar intro with slide on his lap for me it's the b******s take a listen on youtube if ever in doubt about this guy's talent.Anyway that out of the way back to this band lol
Yukio!
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Yukio! »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 19:19 Old Hugh he gets in everywhere, I didn't know he was part of Giants or Dark Matters. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Tbf the thread was always going take a turn. I’m gobsmacked there’s even one person who rates Giants over Dark Matters. Personally, I don’t even think it’s close.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 09:11
aldinblack wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 08:19 Breathe sounds a bit Pinky Floydy to me!
It sounds terrible to me, but your mileage may vary. I think comparing it to Pink Floyd is far too kind... Pink Floyd at their peak were "greatest of all time" material. "Breathe" is a bit of a limp non-thing.
Breathe is actually my favourite track on DM. Maybe because it has that somewhat prog 70s feel. A masterpiece IMHO of course.