dark matters chart chances

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: dark matters chart chances

Post by jason »

Greatkudu wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 19:21
Cells&Plasma wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 18:43
Greatkudu wrote:
OK
You don't sound that happy with this News?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Well Paul has a great voice and is a nice bloke, I hope album is good, I certainly would buy it. He gets a lot of stick but he kept the Stranglers going when JJ had lost interest and he did some great gigs with the band. Lt Kudu.
He certainly does have a great voice and put in some great performances.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Greatkudu wrote:
Cells&Plasma wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 18:43
Greatkudu wrote: OK
You don't sound that happy with this News?

Well Paul has a great voice and is a nice bloke, I hope album is good, I certainly would buy it. He gets a lot of stick but he kept the Stranglers going when JJ had lost interest and he did some great gigs with the band. Lt Kudu.
And that gets an "ok" ?! Tough crowd! Image

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 20:23
Greatkudu wrote:
Cells&Plasma wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 18:43 You don't sound that happy with this News?

And that gets an "ok" ?! Tough crowd! Image

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Well he hasn't done any new stuff for a long time, so not sure what it would sound like? But of course I would be interested to hear his material, he will always be remembered for keeping the band going, had a hard time from alot of people. Lt Kudu.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

jason wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 17:18 And don't forget Paul Roberts is about to release some new material apparently!
Will look forward to that. Some of his Soulsec stuff would have have made the best MKII album. Shame.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

8088 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 21:17
jason wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 17:18 And don't forget Paul Roberts is about to release some new material apparently!
Will look forward to that. Some of his Soulsec stuff would have have made the best MKII album. Shame.
Desert Soul and Rains were good tracks and worthy of a Stranglers album.

Post by 8088 »

jason wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 22:43
8088 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 21:17
Desert Soul and Rains were good tracks and worthy of a Stranglers album.
Sad Soft Lullaby, Can't Stop, King Of The World, Soul Healer amongst others.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 18:39
toilerinblack wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 17:05
Greatkudu wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 15:53

Sir your the master will leave it to you. Lt Kudu. :smt005
No i'm not i'm just a stranglers fan like everybody else with not a great vocabulary but i try lol.... anyway i'm still playing about the same three favourite tracks from DM then hopefully the stranglers tour with whoever is on the keys to fill, then over to Hugh for a new one....i hope!
I was wondering which of the two wrote what on this album No Man's Land sounds a Baz wriiten song to me,we know most of the JJ written ones but i could guess at a few i think could be Baz's style of songs maybe Moon as well,anyway like they say overall it's a band effort that counts at the end of the day rather than who wrote what which i suppose we might never know unless they tell us.
Sir I think the hired hand drummer (joking said with a bit of Bisted and Twitter) wrote the lyrics to No Mans Land, JJ wrote if you should see Dave, Lines, Down, Payday, if somethings going to kill me, Down, I think Baz wrote Last Man on moon, Breathe, and Jim Co wrote another one, but its a collaborative effort as we know Baz did arrangements for somethings going to kill me and thought up the Disco beat for Stallion. Lt Kudu.
Did he? intresting bloody good lyrics and song too it doesn't surprise me after hearing the sort of company of musicians style of songs he's played with in his past,blimey not only is he a good drummer he writes bloody good lyrics too,thanks for that info,but is NML baz's music i wonder? i thought Moon sounds in the style of Mr.Relentless too lol
Last edited by toilerinblack on 27 Sep 2021, 18:15, edited 2 times in total.
Cricklewood

Post by Cricklewood »

adeinblack wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 08:32 Dark Matters will probably be The Stranglers worst selling album.

Simple reason hardly anyone 'buys' albums anymore, so the 15,000 or so it sold pre-release gets it to 4. I don't know what the cut off for making the top 100 each week is in terms of actual sales maybe a few hundred??

So even these albums that are classics and in the charts for years are not shifting huge volumes, the young ones don't want a physical copy like we did. If you sing up to applemusic you get everything.

The ££££ is in touring. Years ago touring lost money.

Times change.
At the least Dark Matters isn't their least-streamed album on Spotify. Just by looking at the plays alone it's got more than the MK2 era albums in just a couple of weeks. It's being listened to
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

adeinblack wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 08:32 Dark Matters will probably be The Stranglers worst selling album.

Simple reason hardly anyone 'buys' albums anymore, so the 15,000 or so it sold pre-release gets it to 4. I don't know what the cut off for making the top 100 each week is in terms of actual sales maybe a few hundred??

So even these albums that are classics and in the charts for years are not shifting huge volumes, the young ones don't want a physical copy like we did. If you sing up to applemusic you get everything.

Times change.
Well you said it all in a nutshell....spot on.
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

Cricklewood wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 14:55

Times change.
At the least Dark Matters isn't their least-streamed album on Spotify. Just by looking at the plays alone it's got more than the MK2 era albums in just a couple of weeks. It's being listened to
It is a good album. Possibly their best album since Dreamtime. I think it is better than 10, toss up between NC and DM as their best but S16 and Giants were all pretty good.
R0ssMc
SHAKESPEARO

Post by R0ssMc »

Cricklewood wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 14:55

Times change.
Does Spotify show the number of plays of all Stranglers Albums? Can you share a link please? I'd love to see a ranking, but can never find it?
STEVEh

Post by STEVEh »

Dark Matters is at 48 on the physical sales charts which comprises vinyl/cd sales and paid for downloads.

That’s after three weeks although how much longer it will be remains to be seen. Amazon appear to be out of stock as they are currently saying it is available from 21st October.

In the first week there were HMV stores tweeting they were out of stock and then a few days later saying it was back in stock.

I would think it’s their best selling album since Hugh left and maybe judging by the supply issues has even surprised the band themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk