Dark Matters v Giants

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters v Giants

Post by Greatkudu »

ricam wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 13:34
Greatkudu wrote:
ricam wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 12:55 Interesting explanation of why you like the track.

I can see how you like it.

Well put.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Thanks that JJ Bass riff goes around in my head.I wish their had been an instrumental on DM.Lt kudu.
Yes an instrumental would have made an already great album even better.

Dare i say it but perhaps it could have replaced the lines?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
I think the lines works as a context to the whole album, I do actually like the lines, I was looking for a double meaning in this song? But it's deff just about getting older. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 09:40 I still like Giants, but I think DM is better. But I having a break for a few days, currently enjoying the Dave tribute CD, makes me smile hearing Daves vocals on Peasant, all his character comes out. Lt Kudu.
Agreed too,i like Giants but DM is better on a rough count it would be about 6-3 or 7-4 to DM but i don't like comparing two albums track by track,But DM is a far superior album for me and leads the two by production as well.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 18:29
Greatkudu wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 09:40 I still like Giants, but I think DM is better. But I having a break for a few days, currently enjoying the Dave tribute CD, makes me smile hearing Daves vocals on Peasant, all his character comes out. Lt Kudu.
Agreed too,i like Giants but DM is better on a rough count it would be about 6-3 or 7-4 to DM but i don't like comparing two albums track by track,But DM is a far superior album for me and leads the two by production as well.
Yes I think on reflection they played a bit safe with Giants, with DM they have thrown out the rule book. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 20:58 with DM they have thrown out the rule book
Giants was MKIV mostly exploring ground that the band had covered before to an artistically less successful degree. Likewise, Dark Matters is MKV (or whatever) mostly exploring ground that the band have covered before, also to an artistically less successful degree. Some of Dark Matters plays like a less good version of Suite XVI, some of it plays like a cleaner sounding version of Coup de Grace, and some of it plays like the current line-up trying to do an impression of '80s Stranglers. I don't call that "throwing out the rule book", but perhaps that phrase means something different to you than it does to me.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 21:28
Greatkudu wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 20:58 with DM they have thrown out the rule book
Giants was MKIV mostly exploring ground that the band had covered before to an artistically less successful degree. Likewise, Dark Matters is MKV (or whatever) mostly exploring ground that the band have covered before, also to an artistically less successful degree. Some of Dark Matters plays like a less good version of Suite XVI, some of it plays like a cleaner sounding version of Coup de Grace, and some of it plays like the current line-up trying to do an impression of '80s Stranglers. I don't call that "throwing out the rule book", but perhaps that phrase means something different to you than it does to me.
I (and I think most on here) disagree.
For Dark Matters The Stranglers have successfully recorded an eclectic mix of tracks, exploring multiple directions, whilst still retaining enough elements that it has the overall feel and sound of the Stranglers. Fresh sounding whilst reminiscent in places of previous works, and without sounding tired or like a rehash of said works.
In summary, another fucking good album from The Stranglers.
Last edited by Bear Cage on 23 Sep 2021, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

An album with rocky electric and acoustic reflective songs is hardly "throwing out the rule book" :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

With DM, it feels the format changed at least. From Norfolk to Giants, they all kinda followed a similar template of starting with aggressive rock 'n roll, some pastiche jazz/melancholic number in the middle and then go out with rocking bangers albeit slightly more contemplative
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 08:39 An album with rocky electric and acoustic reflective songs is hardly "throwing out the rule book" :lol:
Yeah, "throwing out the rule book" to me suggests tracks like "In the Shadows" or "Meninblack" or the entirety of The Gospel According to the Meninblack. Dark Matters when you scratch the surface is just yet another pop-rock record.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Cricklewood wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 09:23 With DM, it feels the format changed at least. From Norfolk to Giants, they all kinda followed a similar template of starting with aggressive rock 'n roll, some pastiche jazz/melancholic number in the middle and then go out with rocking bangers albeit slightly more contemplative
I never got the feel Giants was aggressive , but I think back then Killing Joke released their album at the same time .There was no comparison , I think I mentioned it too , the KJ one was blisteringly aggressive , the Stranglers (Giants ) seemed very tame , unadventurous , limp even .Chalk and cheese , but The Stranglers one was mega disappointing , even to the day now.
All quiet ..........
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 10:54
Cricklewood wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 09:23 With DM, it feels the format changed at least. From Norfolk to Giants, they all kinda followed a similar template of starting with aggressive rock 'n roll, some pastiche jazz/melancholic number in the middle and then go out with rocking bangers albeit slightly more contemplative
I never got the feel Giants was aggressive , but I think back then Killing Joke released their album at the same time .There was no comparison , I think I mentioned it too , the KJ one was blisteringly aggressive , the Stranglers (Giants ) seemed very tame , unadventurous , limp even .Chalk and cheese , but The Stranglers one was mega disappointing , even to the day now.
True about KJ, Giants is very tame by comparison. I don’t think KJ have bettered Absolute Dissent since coming back with the original line up personally, even if it sounds like a DIY punk band demo, but at least it’s authentic
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

Wouldn’t throwing out the rule book perhaps also mean challenging the band (in this case the Stranglers) to “think outside the box” ie have a producer that assists the band to look at the songs and production in a different way?
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 10:54
I don't particularly want really aggressive music from them now. Im not that keen on stuff like Summat etc .