Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

8088 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 20:34
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 20:19
8088 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 14:20 My one gripe with Dark Matters is the artwork - I love the Easter Island statues as a concept but I find the excessive colour and effects overkill.

I think "less is more" always works for The Stranglers and would've preferred something more like this:

dms.jpg
Yep totally better.
I’m not keen on the artwork and would have preferred something more minimal with less colour, perhaps with different typography too.
Actually The Stranglers logo needs to be in red and get rid of the statues too. Just a black cover, like black leather, just black, just like none, none... more black and Dark Matters in Caslon Antique.
:smile: :lol: :wink:
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 20:35
Actually The Stranglers logo needs to be in red and get rid of the statues too. Just a black cover, like black leather, just black, just like none, none... more black and Dark Matters in Caslon Antique.
Surely, black on black is better? :lol:

blk2.jpg
blk2.jpg (26.24 KiB) Viewed 720 times
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

8088 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 20:43

blk2.jpg
Done too many times before
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

airflamesred wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:31 Anyhow, I can see White Stallion as a set opener
I could imagine Dave would have had a go at doing the operatic backing vocal bit.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

8088 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 20:43

blk2.jpg
(Very) lovely stuff :smt007
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

One week in now , got a better idea of the songs now . Probably pretty much the same as initial thought . I would rate Water and White Stallion 8 each . This Song , Moon 7.5 , Payday , NML 7 , then you get into the slower stuff or accoustic ....Kill 6 , Dave 5.5 , Down , Breathe 4.5 Lines 4.
Overall still a 7 . Though I rate the best at 7 , that is in comparison to the whole Stranglers catalogue , I simply can't rate them as high as the likes of Heroes , Duchess , Hanging Around , Relentless and a myriad of others.....they are very good of course .At least there are no 0's and 1's like the last one ( MR and Camden )
All quiet ..........
stuartinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by stuartinblack »

White stallion should have been the closer absolute top class of a track music lyrics and production on that song are up there for the album love it
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

stuartinblack wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 12:27 White stallion should have been the closer absolute top class of a track music lyrics and production on that song are up there for the album love it
Totally agree , and it should have been the longer track too rather than Breathe which is near 6 mins . Either way though White stallion would be a superb closer .
All quiet ..........
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

It's growing on me now,enjoying my third listen much more.I don't think they've improved this song will get me over you, though.Still liking the original Spess version more.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

stuartinblack wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 12:27 White stallion should have been the closer absolute top class of a track music lyrics and production on that song are up there for the album love it
Yep agreed it should of been the closer for sure.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

toilerinblack wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 18:39
Yep agreed it should of been the closer for sure.
White Stallion is great, but Breathe is a perfect closer.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Haven’t played it in full for a week, it’s a good album, a welcome release, not least to hear David’s last music, but it’s not in my all time stranglers top ten unfortunately