If something's going to kill me...

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: If something's going to kill me...

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 17:12 I don't think it will do very well in the singles charts, the charts mean nothing now, and the only people who will download will be Stranglers fans, the general public have no interest in the Stranglers anymore, those days are gone, but would still be nice to see the band in the charts even for a day to give us a break from all the turgid dross that pervades the charts these days, shame we can't go back in time, years ago you had Punk, Ska, Reggae,Heavy Metal and even the infamous Smurfs in the same chart, always thought Father Abraham was a bit odd though? And I think his beard was fake? Memories are all I have. Lt Kudu. :smt005
i could'nt agree more with everything you have said and what has happened to the charts over the years? down the pan.
In the eighties there was music for everybody,yes your right the only downloads will be from the fanbase,the stranglers days were back in the '70s '80s but its still good that they are still going to us fans and i don't really care about the charts anyway... its the new material is all i care about.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 17:42
Father Abraham was a bit odd though? And I think his beard was fake
The beard was real - Father Abraham (Piere Kartner) had dozens of chart hits here and wrote and produced dozens more. One of the big names in Dutch popular music. All very MOR or comedy.somgs though.
Yes thanks for that, he's written 1600 songs apparently? Could be warm up for the Stranglers? Or maybe not, i miss their novelty warm up acts.Lt Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 18:01
Greatkudu wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 17:12 I don't think it will do very well in the singles charts, the charts mean nothing now, and the only people who will download will be Stranglers fans, the general public have no interest in the Stranglers anymore, those days are gone, but would still be nice to see the band in the charts even for a day to give us a break from all the turgid dross that pervades the charts these days, shame we can't go back in time, years ago you had Punk, Ska, Reggae,Heavy Metal and even the infamous Smurfs in the same chart, always thought Father Abraham was a bit odd though? And I think his beard was fake? Memories are all I have. Lt Kudu. :smt005
i could'nt agree more with everything you have said and what has happened to the charts over the years? down the pan.
In the eighties there was music for everybody,yes your right the only downloads will be from the fanbase,the stranglers days were back in the '70s '80s but its still good that they are still going to us fans and i don't really care about the charts anyway... its the new material is all i care about.
Agree but would still be nice to see the Stranglers in the charts again, a bit of class surrounded by dross by the likes of YouTube stars etc. Lt Kudu :smt005
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 18:08 Agree but would still be nice to see the Stranglers in the charts again, a bit of class surrounded by dross by the likes of YouTube stars etc. Lt Kudu :smt005
But it's not 1985 anymore with the hairy cornflake and 'kid' Jensen giving us the run down on TOTP :lol:
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

8088 wrote:
sendwarrior wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 16:57 Will be interesting to see the video, but I'm worried about how it will have been done, considering the subject matter.. :cry:
Well it did say "hard hitting" so to carry on the Covid theme it might be some extra footage of Matt Hancock dry humping his "assistant" Image
Dry humping?

fuckin idiot couldn't even do that properly
I Hate You !
Cricklewood

Post by Cricklewood »

8088 wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 16:46
Cricklewood wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 16:34 Quite happy to hear there'll be a video. Wonder what they could do with it
Maybe they'll take a leaf out of Hugh's book on the Bad Vibrations video and have a giant Baz channeling his inner Godzilla...
Ehhh why not :grin: :grin: :grin:

Prob safe to assume they won't have a sizeable budget so could just be Baz waking up one morning then cutting to stock black and white footage of WARRR and 1950's ufo movies from the public domain :smile:
Mathew S
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Mathew S »

All the videos they are commissioning won’t include band performances or appearances as I understand it.

Post by 8088 »

Cricklewood wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 23:58 Prob safe to assume they won't have a sizeable budget
Cheap and cheerful doesn't have to mean bad - plenty of people make great Youtube clips on zero budget.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

From what I have seen I like all the films,I really admire the band for what they are doing, to continue without Dave is to be admired, was watching Paris 2014 Dvd, I was at that gig, great gig but saddened watching Dave and the reality that his smiling face and keyboard wizardry will never be seen again, but he will never be forgotten.Lt Kudu.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

8088 wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 13:13
jetblacksdad wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 13:02 I do wonder how the artwork represents the song.............
"You wake up one morning and the world has changed - it's war...."

(Disproportionate response to) Covid.
Well fielded!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Cricklewood

Post by Cricklewood »

8088 wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 10:38
Cricklewood wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 23:58 Prob safe to assume they won't have a sizeable budget
Cheap and cheerful doesn't have to mean bad - plenty of people make great Youtube clips on zero budget.
Didn't say it'll be bad, I was jokingly speculating tho I wouldn't really mind it if they did use stock footage. I would have preferred it over random footage of band performances e.g. Mercury Rising

Post by 8088 »

Cricklewood wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 15:16 Didn't say it'll be bad, I was jokingly speculating tho I wouldn't really mind it if they did use stock footage. I would have preferred it over random footage of band performances e.g. Mercury Rising
Yes, you're probably right - intrigued about the 'hard hitting' bit though - although by Youtube censorship standards that could mean absolutely anything :lol: