And If You Should See Dave.....

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: And If You Should See Dave.....

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

It would be so great to see The Stranglers with their new album at no.1, the first time in 44 yrs.
About Time.
:grin:
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

evonx wrote: 07 May 2021, 10:59 Having said that - we could try and get And If You Should See Dave on all streaming lists as high as we can (iTunes/ Spotify/ Apple Music/ Deezer/ Amazon etc etc)
pre-ordered on Itunes
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 May 2021, 22:01 Well to be honest, we all had our doubts about the album ever being finished?
I had no doubts the album would be finished as soon as they could possibly do so, and they have 🖤😊

Sadly, the events of last year were a catalyst to get it done 💔😢
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

sendwarrior wrote: 07 May 2021, 14:43
Greatkudu wrote: 06 May 2021, 22:01 Well to be honest, we all had our doubts about the album ever being finished?
I had no doubts the album would be finished as soon as they could possibly do so, and they have 🖤😊

Yes they were, some were having doubts, but it doesn't matter now, the band have given the fans what they want, a new album that I predict will be their best since Hugh left, but wait and see, but I think it will be a fine album. Lt Leather boy Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

What about the previous 7 years?

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

theraven1979 wrote:What about the previous 7 years?

Jim
I had no doubts the album would be finished as soon as they could possibly do so, and they have ImageImage

Sadly, the events of last year were a catalyst to get it done ImageImage
They did fuck all in 7 years lol !
I Hate You !
giants
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by giants »

I think we are getting a bit carried away. dave is a nice track but not a single. The days of the band getting high in the charts has long gone. You may as well just put the album on YouTube and let people here it for free. A band like the stranglers can only make dosh from selling concert tickets for thirty quid, t-shirts for twenty quid, programmes for a tenner. These days I just browse youtube i. e Metric album Art of doubt, on there in full, brilliant album, then because of that I go watch them. Live .Dark matters great album title and great artwork.it may get in the top fifty fingers crossed. Hope there's better singles on it
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

giants wrote: 08 May 2021, 11:32 I think we are getting a bit carried away. dave is a nice track but not a single. The days of the band getting high in the charts has long gone. You may as well just put the album on YouTube and let people here it for free. A band like the stranglers can only make dosh from selling concert tickets for thirty quid, t-shirts for twenty quid, programmes for a tenner. These days I just browse youtube i. e Metric album Art of doubt, on there in full, brilliant album, then because of that I go watch them. Live .Dark matters great album title and great artwork.it may get in the top fifty fingers crossed. Hope there's better singles on it
The album could easily get to number one on enough pre-orders, if it doesn't go top ten then someone's dropped the ball but it looks like management or whoever has got it spot on so far.

I agree with you on the singles chart though. If the Stranglers ever get in the top 100 again it will be an unprecedented success in these days of streaming etc. It would require lots of downloads as well as regular streaming from everyone, and I just don't think a band of the Stranglers vintage has the always-online fanbase that the current singles chart artists have.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

At the risk of sounding like the old bastard that I am how does one get into the hit parade these days? Is it streaming counts only or physical sales?

Jim
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 08 May 2021, 12:24 At the risk of sounding like the old bastard that I am how does one get into the hit parade these days? Is it streaming counts only or physical sales?

Jim
Streaming, downloads and physical are all combined. A certain number of streams counts as a download but it's a few thousand i think (or at least few hundred).

There is a separate "sales" chart which I believe is just downloads and physical.

There is also a separate physical chart which no-one really looks at. The Damned, Morrissey etc have had number 1s on there in recent years but as I say, no-one really counts it as a proper number 1.

In my opinion including streaming has broken the charts because the singles charts are dominated by the same old stuff because people tend to stream the same things by the same few people over and over (see Mr Brightside for one extreme example) with very little opportunity for a new artist to break through or for a hit to grow organically.
Similarly the album chart has a similar problem whereby artists are able to launch in with very high chart positions on the strength of pre-orders and first-week sales but then completely disappear the week after (see recent top ten albums by Offspring, Sparks, Damned, etc). The rest of the charts tend to be made up of endless greatest hits albums by the same old artists like Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Queen etc, which I assume must be down to streaming as well because surely people aren't buying multiple copies of these greatest hits every week of the year?

So yeah: Stranglers album must surely go top ten on the strength of pre-orders, but any single would be lucky to go top 100 without a co-ordinated download and streaming effort.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I'm just hoping that this album is going to do well,the vibes are really good everybody is on a high with all their latest announcements and like some have already said on here before this album is getting the most intrest now gathering around Dark Matters that we have not seen in many a year.I agree not since NC,infact this could now be the most important and eagerly awaited album post hugh in '90 i would say.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Sad times - charts are therefore dead then

Jim
parasiteinblack wrote: 08 May 2021, 12:39
theraven1979 wrote: 08 May 2021, 12:24 At the risk of sounding like the old bastard that I am how does one get into the hit parade these days? Is it streaming counts only or physical sales?

Jim
Streaming, downloads and physical are all combined. A certain number of streams counts as a download but it's a few thousand i think (or at least few hundred).

There is a separate "sales" chart which I believe is just downloads and physical.

There is also a separate physical chart which no-one really looks at. The Damned, Morrissey etc have had number 1s on there in recent years but as I say, no-one really counts it as a proper number 1.

In my opinion including streaming has broken the charts because the singles charts are dominated by the same old stuff because people tend to stream the same things by the same few people over and over (see Mr Brightside for one extreme example) with very little opportunity for a new artist to break through or for a hit to grow organically.
Similarly the album chart has a similar problem whereby artists are able to launch in with very high chart positions on the strength of pre-orders and first-week sales but then completely disappear the week after (see recent top ten albums by Offspring, Sparks, Damned, etc). The rest of the charts tend to be made up of endless greatest hits albums by the same old artists like Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Queen etc, which I assume must be down to streaming as well because surely people aren't buying multiple copies of these greatest hits every week of the year?

So yeah: Stranglers album must surely go top ten on the strength of pre-orders, but any single would be lucky to go top 100 without a co-ordinated download and streaming effort.