I got into the Stranglers in......

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

I got into the Stranglers in......

pre-77
7%
77-82
67%
83-87
11%
88-90
2%
91-95
3%
96-2000
2%
2000 onwards
8%

Total votes: 295

delboyinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: I got into the Stranglers in......

Post by delboyinblack »

Remember seeing the video for Grip in a late night arty farty show on STV and thinking what a great song and weird looking group.That would've been around '77 but couldn't afford to buy records as my pocket money was quite meagre,I was 15 then.
The first album I actually bought was The Raven not long after it came out and thought it was amazing,so I started buying Stranglers albums seriously in 1980 just before I went to see them at the Glasgow Apollo just after the Nice incident,since then I've been hooked
I'm not gonna cry i bet he hit that water high
Retro Man
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Retro Man »

1978 with "Black & White" for me. I'd seen them as a kid playing "No More Heroes" on TOTP and loved that, but it wasn't until I heard "Black & White" properly that I was hooked - and it's still in my "Top 5 albums of all time" list ( I do like a list...). I was at an army boarding school at the time and I had to spend one weekend at my Gran's, one of the senior boys at school lent me a pile of Punk albums as I was getting into the music. I can remember vividly it, sprawled on the carpet in front of Gran's old Radiogram being blown away by "B&W", it was totally unlike anything I'd ever heard. Even the other albums he lent me - "Rocket To Russia", "Never Mind The Bollocks", "Generation X" and "This Years Model", as good as they were, still had traditional "songs". But "B&W" was a different beast entirely. Evil, scary, unsettling...that bass, the lyrics, the cover...everything about it really. It was downright weird, but out of it came melodies that stuck in my head. I was 13 and that moment has stayed with me ever since. I was so obsessed that I pestered the bloke who let me buy the album off him, I still have it, although as things were always getting nicked at school, I did write my name in nice bright blue biro on the front cover..!
sparrow
SHAKESPEARO

Post by sparrow »

Christmas day 1977...got Rattus..can still see my auld dads face when the swearing on Ugly came on :twisted: ...Were my fave band for many years..still are up there with my faves.
Mulchinblack
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Mulchinblack »

1977, heard GBG on the radio and was hooked.
Normally I wouldn't have minded.
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Short pants
Thank you very much
EiTC
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

As a young foetus.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

just happened to be round a mates house after school,he played black & white and I instantly knew it was the best album I'd ever heard

he said I've got another 2 here and that was it

his black & white album was signed by Dave Greenfield,didn't think much of it at the time

I was brought up in Newhaven,Sussex apparently my mate knew Dave Greenfield from some relavite from close by Seaford

I am eternally my friend
Do You Wanna?
Palais81
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Palais81 »

I remember watching Something Better Change on TOTP and it blew me away. I was 10 at the time and then got to see them live in 81 on my 15th birthday.
toilerinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by toilerinblack »

I got into them thank good through my older brother in '77 who i will never forget the moment he first played to me the 7 inch single of peaches and go buddy go.I remember not thinking much of peaches at first then because it was a double a side he played go buddy go and then i thought wow!!
That was it i was hooked he continued to buy all the singles and the first three albums and stopped........i carried on till present...lol He still laughs that im still into the today.But those early of 77-79 i couldnt really afford to buy the albums so i would play his to death....lol
Blimmey the good old days you cant bring them back of buying your vinyl and what it meant to buy it and own it.
GoonerLXII
SHAKESPEARO

Post by GoonerLXII »

Winter 77/78, my brother brought it home, couldn’t stop listening to it. He also brought a great EP by Squeeze, Packet of Three, at the same time, if I remember correctly!
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

79 or 80 for me, or around then. I'd heard singles on the radio, but as a family we went shopping one day, my sister bought a record from Woolworths so I had to buy one as well, and the only interesting thing in the bargain bin that I could afford was Live (X-Certs), so I bought it. I do remember being mortified when I played it - we only had one record player then, in the living room, so my first hearing of X-Certs was while various parents were either sitting there, or passing in and out. I wasn't expecting Mr Cornwell to address the audience in quite that way. No-one commented, though, and not long after that I was given the old music centre when my Dad bought himself a better one.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall