STRAIGHTEN OUT -2012 TOUR

4 More Heroes, No More Heroes, The Meninblack etc etc in ere

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: STRAIGHTEN OUT -2012 TOUR

Post by ThruBeingCool »

unbroken69 wrote:I met a crazy kiwi girl in Belfast a while back. She actually stole my "In the Night" t-shirt. I wonder if it´s the same one. I went back to this one´s pad on the upper Ormeau Road and I was no sooner in her digs when she thrust a tin of beer in my hand and proclaimed "well Gareth mate, the painters and decorators are in, so you´re going to have to give me one up...." Well you get the drift. Of course I made my apologies and left. :smt087

MULLY wrote:
iain wrote:Fair fucks to Straighten Out tonight in Belfast. A rather sparce crowd to say the least (7) but the show must go on etc, and they were superb.
Nothing better than sitting back drinking a pint and enjoying your favourite music.

If footage of the New Zealand bird appears on youtube, you'll all laugh your nuts off.
As one of the 'magnificent' seven, I felt embarrassed - but fair play to Shaggy and the boys for playing on regardless.

The NZ girl was highly entertaining - Phil will never forget her cowgirl action on the dancefloor, Dave and I were invited to accompany her somewhere else (an offer worth considering but in hindsight, after her mental behaviour, I think we got off lightly!!) and the bouncers will certainly remember throwing her out as she kicked and spat all the way out the door and down the stairs. The band said they had never been as entertained before LOL.

As a Strangler tribute band, there can be no greater tribute than acting out a very early Strangler gig to such a small audience (the ghost of Dagenham Dave was standing at the bar with a toothless grin). Whaddya think this is, a request show or something? At least I got my shout out for 'Burning Up Time' played.

Bad timing (co-inciding with the Belfast Festival) and poor choice of venue (not city centre) all added to the apathetic attitude of the non-attenders, meant this was a record (beating Guildford) as the lowest number of punters the band have played too.

Thanks for coming over guys - just a pity Belfast couldn't be bothered coming out.
:shock:
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

unbroken69 wrote:I met a crazy kiwi girl in Belfast a while back. She actually stole my "In the Night" t-shirt. I wonder if it´s the same one. I went back to this one´s pad on the upper Ormeau Road and I was no sooner in her digs when she thrust a tin of beer in my hand and proclaimed "well Gareth mate, the painters and decorators are in, so you´re going to have to give me one up...." Well you get the drift. Of course I made my apologies and left. :smt087
Why did you leave? Seems like a reasonable offer to me :!: :smt017
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah but this was a female Spooner :lol:

Jim
ThruBeingCool wrote:
Why did you leave? Seems like a reasonable offer to me :!: :smt017
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Ouch!

Jim
iain wrote:
gizzard wrote:
iain wrote:Fair fucks to Straighten Out tonight in Belfast. A rather sparce crowd to say the least (7) but the show must go on etc, and they were superb.
Nothing better than sitting back drinking a pint and enjoying your favourite music.

If footage of the New Zealand bird appears on youtube, you'll all laugh your nuts off.
7!

:shock:

well, 7, after the aforementioned NZ bird was thrown out by the bouncers :|
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

7 is shit though. I wonder if the official site could do a piece on them or something and get the rest of the dates up on the site. Might provide a bit of promotion?

Jim
Oldsoldier

Post by Oldsoldier »

Maybe the death knell for the tribute band?
ceebs
Rats Rally

Post by ceebs »

Better turn out at The Dreadnought in Bathgate than there was in Belfast at least, would guess at maybe 100 or so? Very lively crowd too and a lot of jumping around down at the front. Couldnt really ask for a better setlist, drawn from the first 3 albums and all very well played. Had dragged my sister along and even she seemed fairly impressed, despite not being a major Stranglers fan so they must be doing something right??
Baz Warne did indeed attend, which was a bit post modern perhaps, having the guitarist from a band watching his own tribute version on stage. Had a brief chat with him, and he was very friendly despite me doing the usual gibbering nonsense routine. He did mention that Giants wont be the last album as they are working on new songs which is good news indeed!
No dreams go in, no dreams go out, of the hole in his wrinkled head.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

ceebs wrote:.... He did mention that Giants wont be the last album as they are working on new songs which is good news indeed!
Nice, cheers for the info :smt006
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Very good info, thanks for the review mate.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Alias wrote:
ceebs wrote:.... He did mention that Giants wont be the last album as they are working on new songs which is good news indeed!
Nice, cheers for the info :smt006
Secunded.

Glad it was a better turn out also for the SO guys.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Yer and that they were having a good pogo too.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

I saw Hugh Cornwell playing in Belfast in May 1998 along with Spear Of Destiny and if there was was more than 7 at that, it wasn´t by much. It´s one of the worst places to predict a decent turnout.

Anyway, it was good of Straighten Out to include Belfast on their tour unlike the real thing.
Oldsoldier wrote:Maybe the death knell for the tribute band?
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.