Straighten Out - Hope & Anchor 18th June 2011

4 More Heroes, No More Heroes, The Meninblack etc etc in ere

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Straighten Out - Hope & Anchor 18th June 2011

Post by theraven1979 »

Nice one - that's sum setlist. Great reviews.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
paulwilko
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by paulwilko »

I have to agree with the reviews it was a truly brilliant gig, I doubt that it could have been bettered even if the Stranglers were playing.
If you have n't seen Straighten Out yet, put that right soon, you won't be disappointed.
Kathinboots
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Kathinboots »

50millionwatches wrote:
Alan A Hillier wrote:
P.S .If someone can remember the set list and post it, that would be great, because it really was great set.

Al
5 Minutes
I Feel Like A Wog
Time To Die
Nuclear Device
Toiler On The Sea
Norfolk Coast
Peaches
Shah Shah A Go Go
The Raven
Ugly
Goodbye Toulouse
The Man They Love To Hate
Dagenham Dave
Princess Of The Streets
Peasant In The Big Shitty
Baroque Bordello
Duchess
Curfew
Hanging Around
Burning Up Time
Grip
Something Better Change
Down In The Sewer

ENCORE
London Lady
No More Heroes

:smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt031
Don't forget the "freebies" they chucked in for us! WoB and Sometimes, if I remember rightly (do I remember rightly???). :grin:

Fab night, top setlist, lovely people, bottles of wine, dancing with a topless Fatbus - what more could you ask for....?

Thanks to Sid and Pidge for getting me back to my hotel btw - I'll buy you a pint or two at the next gig :smt001
Boogie now, Dave!
touchline
Down In The Sewer

Post by touchline »

Enjoyed the whole experience. Mixing in and outside the venue beforehand, then SO with forty or so great people. First time I have seen the band, met Dave, Claire and Sid. A great social happening, if you have not seen SO, they are worth an evening of your time. Had a few beers, not made that many visits to the loo in a long time!!!......and they were clean! Also a big "Hi" to Paul Cooklin (I think), good to see you again since we last met on the wonky bus last year. A few others who's names I don't know, thank you..you made it a Saturday to remember.

touchline
"A large glass of Pinot is £4.70. Can I suggest we move onto bottles at £7.90 each ?"
The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler »

50millionwatches wrote: One big disappointment was the turn out. All the moaning on here about the band never coming South and when they do they attract 43 paying customers.
I know that as fact, as I was talking to the guy taking the money. Personally it wouldn't surprise me if the band don't bother coming South again and who can blame them?
But that apart, I cant think of a better way to spend a Saturday night.
I dont think the date change helped - certainly didn't in my case. I'd booked ticket, digs and trains for the original date, then it got moved. Lost £29 on non refundable train tickets. Could have been more cash if i'd booked a Travelodge. It's not a cheap night if you have to travel any sort of distance (in my case from south Wales) and stay overnight. Some people like to book in advance to get the best deals and there's got to be a confidence that the gig is definately going to happen when its originally advertised. Had doubts as to whether the rearranged date would go ahead, so wasn't going to cough up for travel again just in case. I've seen them twice at the H&A and would like to have been there again.

SO is a great night out and I'm very much looking forward to the return to Swindon.
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.
JimD
SHAKESPEARO

Post by JimD »

Fantastic gig. Great set. I have a sore neck from all the headbanging I was doing.

They are an awesome band. Love the way the singer has all Hugh's mannerisms from the period.
50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches »

Just looking at some of the feedback. I am not slagging anyone off in particular, I am merely making a point that this band work their backsides off, and yet get minimal monetary reward for their efforts. I am certainly no 'great fan' in any way shape or form. I wish I was. I have only attended the last 2 gigs (quite sad really).
I enjoyed the Swindon gig, but Straighten Out took the Hope and Anchor to a new level. Check out Big Al's review. In my humble opinion, with that set-list last night, that band performed the best gig Ive attended this year. And I include that statement regarding five Stranglers gigs I attended from the Black and Blue Tour.
Very few venues now offer that intimacy - the only one that springs to mind is the Robin2.
Last night, I stood back, took stock, and realized how lucky I/we are to have a band that loves our music as much as we do. SUPPORT STRAIGHTEN OUT!!!! :smt026
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

50millionwatches wrote:A top, TOP night with Straighten Out and the crew.
A 9pm start ensured everyone (except Pidge) made it home via public transport okay.
A cracking gig in a great venue - the band seem to improve each time I see them. Top toons for me were Shah Shah, Raven and Burning Up Time. All in the company of Ava, PaulinLondon, Big Al Hillier, Pidge, Claireinblack, Kathinboots, Bernie, the Straighten Out crew..... :smt023
One big disappointment was the turn out. All the moaning on here about the band never coming South and when they do they attract 43 paying customers.
I know that as fact, as I was talking to the guy taking the money. Personally it wouldn't surprise me if the band don't bother coming South again and who can blame them?
Many thanks to Claireinblack for the advice ..even if it was not what I wanted to hear! :wink:

You are welcome....

;-)
Claireinblack
kent
Blackbeered
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Blackbeered »

PaulinLondon wrote:Image
Kath. With bottle of wine in hand. Say no more.

:smt030

:lol:
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........
50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches »

The Strangler wrote:
50millionwatches wrote: One big disappointment was the turn out. All the moaning on here about the band never coming South and when they do they attract 43 paying customers.
I dont think the date change helped - certainly didn't in my case. I'd booked ticket, digs and trains for the original date, then it got moved. Lost £29 on non refundable train tickets. Could have been more cash if i'd booked a Travelodge. It's not a cheap night if you have to travel any sort of distance (in my case from south Wales) and stay overnight. Some people like to book in advance to get the best deals and there's got to be a confidence that the gig is definately going to happen when its originally advertised. Had doubts as to whether the rearranged date would go ahead, so wasn't going to cough up for travel again just in case. I've seen them twice at the H&A and would like to have been there again.

SO is a great night out and I'm very much looking forward to the return to Swindon.
Your commitment is not in question Brian .. :grin:
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

The journey started by meeting Sid at Londons kings x, we went to a pub,and it was next to the Camden centre were The Stranglers Convention will be, nice place. Next stop make our way to Islington shit no Victoria line, what should be a simple 10 minute journey turns into a mission and a half. We get to the hope and anchor eventually, and meet after what seems an age ago since the tour Paulinlondon,Claire, kath,Fatbusjim,Paulw,Uncle bernard, & later on AVA & Al hillier so a great turn out from the forum.

Enjoyed listening to the stories that Al was telling us from the Punk days, would of loved to of been there first hand.I think i was born 20 years to late ... bugger!. No i have a theory with all pubs,loud music and everything the loudest will get heard,i really wish they would stop with the music in the bar, so you can have an actual long conversation with the people around you rather than having to listen to "lady go go". But to be fair several Stranglers tunes were played.

My first time going into the legendary Hope and anchor last night, i have driven passed it on many occasions on the Charlton Athletic fans coach going to away matches but i have never been inside the place itself. As i walked into the actual venue itself i instantly thought "High fidelety",a small stage with a bar you could just imagine Rob,Dick & barry going there on a Friday night after a bad day with a very few record sales in Robs failing record shop.

Straighten out came on at 9pm sharp and like the gig link it was a very tight performace, the setlist has already been posted up but i loved "peasent", "Goodbye toulouse" was also great and the bass was pretty spot on. A set full of fans favourites from the first four albums including "Man they love to hate", "Norfolk coast" & "Time to die". The new guy even looks like hugh with his choker quiff,and his telecaster even has the same stains on it that hughs did. Everything from "Shah shah a go go",to "Dagenham dave" was played.

I eneded up buying the CD and listend to it when i got in from work today. A great Saturday night out, will do it for the 3rd time,when they play again in London. Bit of an expensive taxi ride on the way home Charing x suck why change the time of the last train from 1.03 to 48 minutes passed 12. £40 in a cab sorted dont worry i told him about the black and blue tour all way home he gave me £10 off as a result.
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Great gig last night, Hi to Claire, Sid, Al Hillier and Pidge! (and everyone else i met, but can't remember your names!)
From Bernie. Burn e 77
Something better change!